Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I installed 2.40.21 successfully and went for a nice drive and...

I love all of the changes.

While I can take or leave the flat UI thing, I love the big maps, makes the 17" look huge. I really like the new media player, I instantly found a new channel - the Tesla channel ! It's songs that we listen to in our cars the most, according to the announcement.

If they made any changes to UHFS, they are improvements. I flattened the EQ from its previous 0 - 0 - +.5 to where a truely tuned
listening environment (like the MS) should be -- 0 - 0 - 0. And it sounded great (no Dolby unless I'm watching a movie thanks).

And the EQ sliders are a MASSIVE improvement. They are perfect now, very sensitive and you can land them anywhere. Same goes for the charge dial, yes it is smaller but it is super sensitive now.

The UI in general is all snappier, map tiles even seemed snappier.

Ok now onto the AP.

I love the new clearer indicators and I understand the muting. I got a couple of nags (never an audible one) but I was surprised that I missed the initial indicator, only then does it do the white border flash thing.

I found the steering was better, now able to hold the lane when the car ahead drifts or changes lane. The TACC is as others have noted much more human. Not sure that's a good thing lol but it seemed more capable to me.

So every change I noticed was a good one... wondering what all the fuss was about, this is a great release so far.

I just completed a cross country drive with 8.0 AP, and I just don't experience the issues most complain about. I have 19's, and I recently drove a 21" car and it was slightly "more squirrely" than mine, but that's all I can say.

It might be slightly too much to ask, but can you try that again after deleting the AP tiles from your car and not allowing them to download? :)

The release notes, at least on a Model X, says that you can now search the USB:
View attachment 197843
Seems to be in the Model S release notes (only as of 2.40.21 ?) too... this is from my release notes, though I didn't try it.

upload_2016-10-7_17-59-23.png

Reactions: MP3Mike and msnow
Just tried it out a few times and my search is not finding anything on the USB keys.

Oh and for fear of being lynched I really like the new USB interface, the new display and 2 columns really work great for the amount of folders I put per key. And folders with numbers are now on top, woohoo ! And finally shows the actual drive name.

Last edited:
Just tried it out a few times and my search is not finding anything on the USB keys.

Oh and for fear of being lynched I really like the new USB interface, the new display and 2 colums really work great for the amount of folders I put per key. And folders with numbers are now on top, woohoo ! And finally shows the actual drive name.
Too bad, I was hoping it would work.

Oh and for fear of being lynched I really like the new USB interface, the new display and 2 colums really work great for the amount of folders I put per key. And folders with numbers are now on top, woohoo ! And finally shows the actual drive name.
Your collection must be small then. No alpha shortcuts anymore, plus the playback restarts, the non shuffled shuffle feature, albums playing alphabetically, repeat scanning with power saving on, the list goes on.

Edit: I do agree I like the interface better. However, it could still use improvement by including album year and creating a bookmark option next to recents and favorites

• Disagree
Reactions: ig_epower
@msnow I can make the car move out of lane while AP is engaged by "pushing" on the steering wheel. Wife took the video while I was driving, at the end I was too far out of lane for my comfort and pushed it back in dis-engaging AP. Otherwise while the car moved out of lane, AP was engaged the whole time. So gentle pressure works, you can hear the lane warning vibrate too.

20161007 184610

@msnow I can make the car move out of lane while AP is engaged by "pushing" on the steering wheel. Wife took the video while I was driving, at the end I was too far out of lane for my comfort and pushed it back in dis-engaging AP. Otherwise while the car moved out of lane, AP was engaged the whole time. So gentle pressure works, you can hear the lane warning vibrate too.

20161007 184610
It still doesn't work for me. I tried it 5 or 6 times this afternoon and couldn't get it to work at any amount of torque. I tried comfort, sport and my default standard sensitivity, nada. I event had a truck dive event and tried to head it off with gentle but increasingly harder pulling on the steering wheel but ultimately my torque disengaged AP. :shrug: I can't figure this one out.

It still doesn't work for me. I tried it 5 or 6 times this afternoon and couldn't get it to work at any amount of torque. I tried comfort, sport and my default standard sensitivity, nada. I event had a truck dive event and tried to head it off with gentle but increasingly harder pulling on the steering wheel but ultimately my torque disengaged AP. :shrug: I can't figure this one out.
Trying to think outside the box, as I'm at a loss...

Have we explored yet that there may be something different beyond the battery hardware-wise between say your and my 9/2015-built S90D and other MS that are not seeing these 8.0 issues, or perhaps that are capable of some of these things like tweaking Autosteer outside the lane, when others seem not able to reproduce the same thing? People and environment are certainly variables we can't fully account for. Tesla has made the statement many times about 20 ECs/week back-in-the-day (I doubt that is as true perhaps today especially hardware-wise, now that MS is more mature and Tesla is on to MX and M3). Following that train of thought though, while we *may* be running the same firmware, is there perhaps something else hardware-wise that is different accounting for some of these variations? IDK... just guessing.

Trying to think outside the box, as I'm at a loss...

Have we explored yet that there may be something different beyond the battery hardware-wise between say your and my 9/2015-built S90D and other MS that are not seeing these 8.0 issues, or perhaps that are capable of some of these things like tweaking Autosteer outside the lane, when others seem not able to reproduce the same thing? People and environment are certainly variables we can't fully account for. Tesla has made the statement many times about 20 ECs/week back-in-the-day (I doubt that is as true perhaps today especially hardware-wise, now that MS is more mature and Tesla is on to MX and M3). Following that train of thought though, while we *may* be running the same firmware, is there perhaps something else hardware-wise that is different accounting for some of these variations? IDK... just guessing.
Well, I decided to try it again about an hour ago and *bingo* I got it to cross into the right lane. Tried it again going from the right lane and got it completely move into the left lane. I was going about 55 mph on a straight part of the highway. Like @Max* and @Ingineer indicated it's a very subtle thing. It's almost (but not quite) the amount of torque that would disengage AP. I stand corrected. :humble pie:

• Informative
Reactions: BertL and Max*
Same in Germany. 2.40.21 with the advise to change the chargeport door :-(
This could be related to some of the theories about why charging slows down for some people more than expected, and to other charge port issues. I'm glad they're possibly working on this. This is a good thing, hopefully. I think it's happy software decided to have people get maintenance for things on their cars. This is a new type of maintenance mechanism (that also doesn't fit into the old definitions used by governments, because this way is better and safer).
Well, I decided to try it again about an hour ago and *bingo* I got it to cross into the right lane. Tried it again going from the right lane and got it completely move into the left lane. I was going about 55 mph on a straight part of the highway. Like @Max* and @Ingineer indicated it's a very subtle thing. It's almost (but not quite) the amount of torque that would disengage AP. I stand corrected. :humble pie:

Many months ago (pre-8.0), I found I was able to slightly nudge a Tesla driving under AP into my personal comfort zone about half the time, and the other half, it disengaged AP. (I quickly decided to always nudge it into what I want when it was outside my comfort zone, and not to care if that meant it wasn't helping me for a bit, even if it disengaged.)

Last edited:
I've taken a longer drive now with Canadian 2.40.21 and I have to admit that AP steering does seem to go somewhat squirrelly at times now. I'm sure it will get fixed or is just recalibrating.

More concerning for me was Autopilot alarms. I got two escalated warnings (chimes) in the first 20 minutes and I am absolutely certain they went directly to the chimes, no visual alerts first. Just to test that it was the actual "3 strikes you're out" alarm, I let a visual alert go untugged and the car cancelled Autopilot on me "for the rest of the trip" or whatever it says.

So then I tried to create a bug report with the new voice controls and failed miserably, even with the car stopped and all the windows rolled up. Voice is still nearly hopeless, now it just shows you how hopeless it is. At least it used to record your bug report and thank you, now it just shows you that it probably never actually recognized your bug report, anyway.

The .40.21 NAV did not cover the top row buttons
Sure it does, when it's on top or maxxed (edit: maybe not by default now though ?). I was pressing on the current street address and town/city display in the grey box at the bottom of the map to turn the top part on and off.

Both the fuller map screen and the grey current street display are great additions IMHO. I think the new map display is really great, and 2 finger pinch/zoom now works as expected. No more tap tap tapping the +/- because pinch/zoom is too lagged out.

The first thing I did when the upgrade was complete was turn on "Avoid toll roads" and try out some routes. Might seem like a small thing but not for me, that was my #1 missing item. I was very pleased.

The new regen is also great. I do a lot of city driving and the stronger regen is welcomed.