Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on this story First look at Tesla v8.0 software update with UI overhaul, improved Autopilot visualisation, and more (with screenshots and info that must have been provided by a Tesla Early Access tester in violation of their NDA) it appears that us "classic" owners will get improved media player capabilities and no doubt some other minor changes such as what is described as:

Quote "The most noticeable is probably the ability to remove the menu bar from the top in order to gain some screen real estate for the applications on Tesla’s 17-in touchscreen. Instead of the fix menu bar, some of the icons hover over the application."

I don't fully understand that, but apparently the menu bar can be turned off or maybe made semi-transparent?

I am also anticipating greatly improved nav but have yet to see any verification of that.

Last edited:
Also, I hate to pull a "Dirk" on you, but should we keep new FW 8.x posts to the other thread(s) and not in the FW 7.1 thread? (Sorry, Dirk! :) ) Or perhaps start a new "Firmware 8.0 for classic Model S" thread?

Reposting by popular demand/decree ;)

Oh, and they've improved some things on the IC making AP icons more obvious, and if engaging AP "misses" engaging instead of it just keeping TACC on it turns it off. It also seems to ask you to put your hands on the wheel you didn't have your hands on when AP didn't engage. Nice safety improvement!

Also, this is cool, they let you pick a small bit of the things displayed in the IC:

pic

So it appears that in version 8, the odometer display will be selectable. If this is true for classic cars as well as AutoPilot cars (they didn't have it on the instrument cluster outside the trip meter screen), what do you think our classics will put under the car graphic on our instrument cluster? I would be ecstatic if the 6.2 SoC bar returns and is placed under the car graphic.
GMF1tUN.jpg

Quote "The most noticeable is probably the ability to remove the menu bar from the top in order to gain some screen real estate for the applications on Tesla’s 17-in touchscreen. Instead of the fix menu bar, some of the icons hover over the application."

I don't fully understand that, but apparently the menu bar can be turned off or maybe made semi-transparent?
I really don't understand why they spent time an effort on this feature. The Model S already has by far the largest on screen map of any car. Why do we need an extra inch at the expense of having convent fixed app switching icons?

I have modest expectations:
  • We wil get non-AP related changes like the new media app, regen, etc per the Electrek leaks
  • They will clean up the transition to the flat UI and get rid of the remaining random drop shadows and 3D icons
  • Will get curious to see what they do with the speedo: get rid of the mini-car, put the SoC back, maybe get some new widgets--I like the energy app from AP cars
TBH, at this point, any updates are upside--the SW is stable and any bugs are (for me) minor annoyances. The only thing that would get me really excited would be CarPlay support.

Based on this story First look at Tesla v8.0 software update with UI overhaul, improved Autopilot visualisation, and more (with screenshots and info that must have been provided by a Tesla Early Access tester in violation of their NDA)

I'm wondering about whether they really did violate anything or if it wasn't lifted.

I say that because ingineer was the one that posted the pics/info here, and normally he never posts pics because he doesn't want traceability to who's car it is.

This time though he posted a pic of the odometer, the color, and the model of the car that was running the EAB version of 8.0.

So it seems like he either hated the EAB owner or Tesla said it was okay now.

I think Tesla gave the okay because it's a very leaky faucet right now.

Why would TM leak it through one 'beta person' and either not allow all to release or just release to the whole fleet?
Well, some TMCers also believe that Tesla purposefully put hidden code on their website to do "market research" for the Supercharger credit program. Or, really, whenever anything gets slightly leaked, it's often considered purposeful. Because, you know, the TMC membership is a great focus group. :rolleyes:

This morning I got a notice in the car that an update is ready to install. I needed the car today so it's scheduled for this evening. The update is over an hour long. Is this likely to be V8.0? Has anyone else gotten the update notice? Installed it? If it is V8.0 it will end a lot of speculation. I feel like I know a lot about the autopilot upgrade. What I'm waiting to find out about is the improvements to the nav system and whether we get Spotify. If you have loaded the upgrade, please post what's there on the appropriate threads. Thanks

Well, some TMCers also believe that Tesla purposefully put hidden code on their website to do "market research" for the Supercharger credit program. Or, really, whenever anything gets slightly leaked, it's often considered purposeful. Because, you know, the TMC membership is a great focus group. :rolleyes:

Well, if TM did not put in hidden code, wk057 probably did.:eek:

As to focus groups: If it is TMC that TM uses as a focus group that may explain the non folding second row seat in the X

<he ducks quickly and runs for cover leaving ohmman to deal with the discussion>;)

If there really was a significant improvement to nav, wouldn't that be something the guy who's leaking pics would send a pic or info of instead of the transparent stuff?

I'm wondering about whether they really did violate anything or if it wasn't lifted.

I say that because ingineer was the one that posted the pics/info here, and normally he never posts pics because he doesn't want traceability to who's car it is.

This time though he posted a pic of the odometer, the color, and the model of the car that was running the EAB version of 8.0.

So it seems like he either hated the EAB owner or Tesla said it was okay now.

I think Tesla gave the okay because it's a very leaky faucet right now.

Why would TM leak it through one 'beta person' and either not allow all to release or just release to the whole fleet?

I do not know the answer, just asking.

What I meant was there have been multiple leaks.

ingineer's leak was a white Model X
electrek.co's leak was a grey'ish Model S

This morning I got a notice in the car that an update is ready to install. I needed the car today so it's scheduled for this evening. The update is over an hour long. Is this likely to be V8.0? Has anyone else gotten the update notice? Installed it? If it is V8.0 it will end a lot of speculation. I feel like I know a lot about the autopilot upgrade. What I'm waiting to find out about is the improvements to the nav system and whether we get Spotify. If you have loaded the upgrade, please post what's there on the appropriate threads. Thanks

Well, if TM did not put in hidden code, wk057 probably did.:eek:

As to focus groups: If it is TMC that TM uses as a focus group that may explain the non folding second row seat in the X

<he ducks quickly and runs for cover leaving ohmman to deal with the discussion>;)

I suddenly though I was reading Firmware 8.0 information leak , not Firmware 8.0 for Classic/Pre-AutoPilot cars ;)

I suddenly though I was reading Firmware 8.0 information leak , not Firmware 8.0 for Classic/Pre-AutoPilot cars ;)

But, you knew you were reading TMC. So you knew everything posted in TMC is scrutinized regardless of the thread title.

We're also car people and what's wonderful about cars? You can go off the tracks. If we were train people I could understand not wanting to go off the rails.

No it's not 8.0. Lots of owners have reported getting a final build of 7.1 over the past two days, possibly needed to prepare their car for 8.0.

I get the impression that 8.0 is primarily for AP cars and any improvements for classics is likely to be an afterthought. So, I am prepared to be "underwhelmed" by 8.0.
You mean like 7.x was? Not only did we not get permanent hill hold like the AP cars, we didn't even get the idiot light for the times our 2-second hill hold engages. I still regularly have spots where it's a 50/50 change it engages when I stop there.

Reactions: Mayhemm