Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've yet to see Tesla "mandate" an update, even though the technical capability exists for them to force one remotely if they so decided. They have forcefully downgraded people remotely though.

They did not need to push an update to the car to add these capabilities, it's been there for years.

Reactions: Lex
As ridiculous as it may sound, is it possible that this latest 7.1 release contains some code that will mandate an update to 8.0/8.1 when they come out? I think back to those who refused to update to 7.1 from 7.0. Perhaps it can allow Tesla to deactivate certain non-essential activities enough to motivate an upgrade.

I suspect they have always been able to do that.

The backup is kept, and the fallback system will work going forward, except for the transition to 2.36.x. Once you cross that line, the systems in the car cannot be downgraded.

I believe they have done this to make it more difficult for someone to load non-approved (signed) firmware to any devices. Prior to this, if you wanted to, you could alter the firmware to any system on the car and run that code.

The release version of 8.0 will also have to contain this signature system, even though the beta did not. If an update fails, there is still the previous version, and if all else fails, there is a recovery system that can be manually accessed. (by a SvC)

The parallels between our cars and network appliances I worked on for over ten years is uncanny. We kept two software images on the appliances...updates always consisted of unpacking new software onto the partition that wasn't in use and then rebooting to load off the new code. We'd often let our customers go back and forth between different versions of software, except every so often there'd be an upgrade boundary From Which There Is No Return. Although in our case it was usually for major database schema upgrades, not for signed firmware.

Anyway for people who aren't familiar with this, management of software images on embedded systems like this is a pretty common practice, kind of interesting to see our cars work the same.

Bruce.

PS. At the company I worked, we had two options on our appliances that I'd love to see on the Tesla but I'm pretty sure we're not getting them...first is an option to boot from the alternate (old) firmware. Second was an agreement you could sign to get root access... :)

Another NAV fail.......I don't even think this Exit 1 exists, o_O but I was ~10 miles away so I couldn't check. Whatever/wherever it is, I was told to get off. LOL Good bye 7.1.2.36.31 & hello 8.*.**.** !!
IMG_0978.JPG

• Helpful
Reactions: Richg and msnow
Ugh!!! Upgraded to 2.36.31 and on my first commute home the car hit me with the 'hold steering wheel' nag every 30 seconds all the way home for 35 miles. Please tell me this isn't the new standard behavior for the MS

I've had 2.26.31 for a couple of days, but not had any nags at all on my own 20 mile commute - likely because I do keep my hands lightly on the wheel most of the time. Partly because that's what I do and partly because I'm a little more cautious with AP after an update. What I can say is that AP is much smoother in curves and stop and go and, as a bonus, the UHFS system sounds much better. I've turned Dolby processing on and actually am starting to like it.

Ugh!!! Upgraded to 2.36.31 and on my first commute home the car hit me with the 'hold steering wheel' nag every 30 seconds all the way home for 35 miles. Please tell me this isn't the new standard behavior for the MS

Timed or estimated? If it truly was timed 30 second intervals we're gonna have a riot on our hands...

Yup... that sure looks like the path towards full autonomy. ;) :)

Should be interesting.

If 2.36.31 improves UHFS Dolby Surround processing (alright!) then why didn't they put that in the release notes? Are they that lazy?
I don't think it's a matter of laziness. Every set of release notes would be 30 pages long with inapplicable nuances if every engineering change were documented.

Plus it's a handful of us noting subtle changes in the audio quality. We could even be imagining it for all that we know!

Quite honestly "minor improvements and fixes" is pretty appropriate for these mini 7.1 weekly deployments.

Ok. False alarm... I did a system reset when
I got to the gym and on the way home everything was performing nicely again.

So sorry for the panic post, I am just deathly afraid the media, nanny state, and irresponsible owners are conspiring to nerf my beloved autopilot.

I actually got so frustrated earlier I punched by steering wheel in anger, for which I shall got home with weeping, repentance, and self-flagellation.

Reactions: LargeHamCollider
I actually got so frustrated earlier I punched by steering wheel in anger
I hope I am reading this right, in that the steering wheel punched you for being so angry #dontdriveangry

Good time to remind all Tesla drivers to keep the testosterone in check on the roads ! Don't punch your car or it will punch you.

So for this new big final 7.x update.. nothing here, and I even visited the geofences at Lawrence Ave. And I saw and heard of other Canadians getting this new final patch. But not me.. hmm..

I don't think it's a matter of laziness. Every set of release notes would be 30 pages long with inapplicable nuances if every engineering change were documented.

Plus it's a handful of us noting subtle changes in the audio quality. We could even be imagining it for all that we know!

Quite honestly "minor improvements and fixes" is pretty appropriate for these mini 7.1 weekly deployments.
Well, many of us would like to be involved with our cars, and would like to know what changes. If the Tesla developers are making these changes then they are important. Being open and communicating their work will increase customer appreciation. If others don't consider the details important then they don't have to read the notes.

Well, many of us would like to be involved with our cars, and would like to know what changes. If the Tesla developers are making these changes then they are important. Being open and communicating their work will increase customer appreciation. If others don't consider the details important then they don't have to read the notes.
I'd be happy with just the same level of detail Apple and Microsoft provide in their release notes. Having to guess what changed is a waste of time. I'm guessing they are concerned that release notes might expose them to some liability which is why we only see them in at a high level in the major releases.

Reactions: Texas