Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I travel on a stretch of the interstate where two lanes merge without any markings, and for the first time autopilot handled it perfect without a car in front of it. It has now done this twice since getting the update, if it does it again it would suggest it is in fact learning .
I don't have this update YET, but even with the last one, 2.9.68, I noticed a significant improvement on the "diving for exits" behavior. I get much less torque from the wheel now and can easily guide her towards the left when passing those. I know I've learned, but there is definitely less steering wheel movement as well toward these right-hand exits.

View attachment 107497

Fortunately, AFAICT there is nothing you can do with the app you can't do more quickly and reliably with the fob.

Overall the iPhone app seems much less reliable than it used to be at contacting the car. Not sure if it's the car s/w or the app, since I updated both. I guess I should try the two-thumb salute on the car, just to see.

The error messages and warning bells on the car are so polite. My Toyota's were all very rude to me.

Toyota: "BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP, YOU ARE GOING TO DIE!"

Tesla: "Excuse me, really sorry to bother you. There is a fairly decent chance we are going to be in a real pickle here in about four seconds. If you wouldn't mind doing some type of corrective action, I'd appreciate it."

Worth every penny.View attachment 107571

Random Tesla owners enjoying a double double and fries.
Super cool. When was this?

And on a side-note, I now miss In-N-Out after our too/two frequent stops to Las Vegas a few weeks back on the first road trip. That's the biggest In-N-Out I've ever seen there in Barstow. I think they said the only bigger one is the new one in Dallas somewhere. Of course. It's Texas, and we all know, everything's ______ in Texas.

Thanks,
Btw, I've found this: Autopilot 7.1 visuals - YouTube

I think it's pretty apparent from watching this video that the real utility of being able to see the extra cars in the extra lanes will be realized when Tesla adds rear-facing cameras and rear-facing radar, such that cars coming up from behind on your sides will be visible on the IC.

Once that happens I can even imagine little green and red indicators to the right and left of the main car, indicating, when Auto Steering is engaged, if you may currently initiate an auto-lane change into that lane.

Just received this email from my service advisor

"At this point in time, the engineering team is only releasing the new software in batches and it looks like I am unable to bypass it like I used to, sorry."

I'll just keep waiting. Checking the phone. Then the car. Sigh.

"At this point in time, the engineering team is only releasing the new software in batches and it looks like I am unable to bypass it like I used to, sorry."

It's like waking up Christmas morning and everyone is opening presents but us. :sad:

Re the picture of Elon at in-n-out, it truly is a random picture. I don't know when it was taken or who the other guy is.

This is a common practice in some software releases. They may have pulled in the release and shorten the validation cycle due to marketing reasons, so maybe it is a limited release and is going to intercept a fully validated release in a week or so. So there will be a mass distribution of a newer build with bug fixes very soon.

View attachment 107527

Can anyone with 7.1 explain what the above feature means? I don't quite understand how the first sentence relates to the second.

I've had the "double click the fob to unlock" interrupt a charging session before, when I least expected it - and since then I've used it to "unlatch" the plug from the charge socket when the long-hold on the trunk button didn't do the job (at a public charger where there's no button on the plug)

Sounds like they've simplified the behaviour.

I think it's pretty apparent from watching this video that the real utility of being able to see the extra cars in the extra lanes will be realized when Tesla adds rear-facing cameras and rear-facing radar, such that cars coming up from behind on your sides will be visible on the IC.

Once that happens I can even imagine little green and red indicators to the right and left of the main car, indicating, when Auto Steering is engaged, if you may currently initiate an auto-lane change into that lane.

Or just move your car up in the display so it's centered leaving room for icons behind the car.

It's like waking up Christmas morning and everyone is opening presents but us. :sad:

Re the picture of Elon at in-n-out, it truly is a random picture. I don't know when it was taken or who the other guy is.
Oh, darn. I thought it was "random" to the thread, but of you and Elon. Disappointed Now.

and yes, no presents for us. :mad:

- - - Updated - - -

The error messages and warning bells on the car are so polite. My Toyota's were all very rude to me.

Toyota: "BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP, YOU ARE GOING TO DIE!"

Tesla: "Excuse me, really sorry to bother you. There is a fairly decent chance we are going to be in a real pickle here in about four seconds. If you wouldn't mind doing some type of corrective action, I'd appreciate it."
agree so much. I had to drive my MBZ SUV the other day, and had forgotten how stressful that car is with all its beeping and worrying. Another thing no one really mentions is how nice the nav is that I can leave it muted permanently and not have to mute it every time. I much prefer visuals to audibles as I'm usually listening to a podcast (my stories!) and hate when the nav interrupts.

Anyone having a problem with the Homelink auto open/close?

Prior my homelink would pop up when I got to a certain radius of the garage so I thought this would be seamless upgrade.

After the update, I went into the homelink screen and enable auto open and close
But I don't get the radius notification nor the skip indications at all.

I deleted my old homelink setting and relearned the remote but still doesn't work.
Any ideas?

I think there is a nag. Just spend 30 minutes testing this.

Interstate road, 12-lanes divided (6 each direction), every 3 minutes for 12 minutes (i.e. 4 times) then I got off. Exactly at the 3minute mark.
Local road, 6 lanes (3 each direction, grass divider, though the car thought it was an undivided highway and restricted AP), every 1minute for 4 minutes (i.e. 4 times).
Then I held the wheel for about 5minutes, and still on the local road it let me drive for 2 minutes, then nagged, and then back down to 1 minute. I think it might be giving me leeway if it sees me holding the wheel.

Ugh. I can't test right now, but I would have sworn I'd gone more than 3 minutes without the nag. I'll try to replicate as soon as I get my car back. This would really suck.

You, my dear, are ballsy. I love that you emailed asking for the software update. :) The thought crossed my mind and I considered stopping by my service center, but decided against it.

this is a really good alert. Something I didn't account for on my first long trip. I "thought" i had enough miles, but when going 70-75 I got the "turn around" to nearest SuperCharger. I had to go 65! the horror! Everyone was passing me.

Anyway, I'm glad they added this. The difference in the range from 70mph to 65 is even greater than most know.

You, my dear, are ballsy. I love that you emailed asking for the software update. :) The thought crossed my mind and I considered stopping by my service center, but decided against it.
Well, I did have an excuse as there were a couple of remaining things from my last service visit that still need attending to and are awaiting parts. But, I figure it never hurts to ask.

Drove almost 20 miles on a well marked highway that I've used AP on before. Asked me to hold the steering wheel almost every minute (stopwatch used), despite high quality data (according to the instrument cluster) and my other inputs, like signal to change lanes.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone having a problem with the Homelink auto open/close?

Prior my homelink would pop up when I got to a certain radius of the garage so I thought this would be seamless upgrade.

After the update, I went into the homelink screen and enable auto open and close
But I don't get the radius notification nor the skip indications at all.

I deleted my old homelink setting and relearned the remote but still doesn't work.
Any ideas?

The radius is easy to miss. Seems buggy. I reset my homelink location thinking it may fix it, made it worse. Garage door opened while I was too far away. Although there's no doubt about the strength of that transmitter now. Reset it again this time inside the garage (despite instructions) we'll see how it does tomorrow.

I would also assume autoclose should work even if you didn't use summon. Hasn't worked for me successfully yet. No radius warning, I assume it didn't even try.

View attachment 107497

Fortunately, AFAICT there is nothing you can do with the app you can't do more quickly and reliably with the fob.

Overall the iPhone app seems much less reliable than it used to be at contacting the car. Not sure if it's the car s/w or the app, since I updated both. I guess I should try the two-thumb salute on the car, just to see.

I hope they plan on changing that text sometimes within the next 2 years before they roll out the ability to summon your car from NY to LA.

Either way, a bias to the left of center while in the left lane is usually a safer position, unless you're on an undivided highway with traffic coming right at you immediately to your left.

Or there's a metal or concrete barrier very close to the left!

Actually I think I could argue that even in the case of a metal or concrete barrier, it still may be the safer position.

Assuming the car's system actually has an accurate idea of where the barrier is, it's not going to drive into it, and the barrier is stationary. On the other hand, the stuff on the other side--vehicles driven by human beings--could do anything at any time. So in a way, it is logical for the software to want to maintain more distance from the objects that are moving, and that it has no control over than from the stationary object, even if that might make us nervous.