Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why not let the classics be classics ?

NOOOOOO, non-AP is the definition of "classics", but some of us just bought the car less than a couple of months ago, I haven't received my license plate yet. I don't want old UI, I want NEW, v7, v8, v9, and v10....
I like almost everything about the new update, especially the Current Trip. I liked Trip Meter A/B, that's because the old UI didn't have Current Trip meter, so Trip Meter A/B was the next closest thing.
I'm already used to the new UI, it's not a big deal. Don't be afraid of change, change is good people. The only thing I won't use the the clock, it's ugly.

C'mon in, dirk. The water's fine. I like the improvements. And I'd rather provide further input to tesla as a 7.0 user than a rejector.
And since Tesla has consistently ignored any and all feedback / input that I have given them in 27 months of owning a Tesla (in all but one cases where I escalated the issue not even acknowledging receipt of said input) I'd rather stay out and enjoy a car with a UI I really like.

I couldn't see when the brake lights were coming on while driving, even zooming in to take a picture its still difficult to tell.
Accelerating...
IMG_0633.jpg

Regen..

IMG_0632.jpg

I couldn't see when the brake lights were coming on while driving, even zooming in to take a picture its still difficult to tell.
Accelerating...
lightsOff.jpg

Regen..

lightsOn.jpg
Others have pointed this out before... the only place you can really see it is the center light above the rear window. It's still very hard to make out, but certainly easier than the main rear lights / break lights.

Edited because your pictures were driving me bonkers... I think this is more useful :)

Last edited:
NOOOOOO, non-AP is the definition of "classics", but some of us just bought the car less than a couple of months ago, I haven't received my license plate yet. I don't want old UI, I want NEW, v7, v8, v9, and v10....
I like almost everything about the new update, especially the Current Trip. I liked Trip Meter A/B, that's because the old UI didn't have Current Trip meter, so Trip Meter A/B was the next closest thing.
I'm already used to the new UI, it's not a big deal. Don't be afraid of change, change is good people. The only thing I won't use the the clock, it's ugly.
I have no trouble with new versions, but they must give me some added value.
Why not start with the UI we got and analyze what is wrong with it as it is ? From a non AP view.
Change for changes sake isnt always for the better...

I've driven another 200 or so miles since my initial review of the UI in this thread, and have some new thoughts. This update is all about speed and responsiveness and better feel.

The 17in screen is way faster and less laggy. Coupled with the clear, high-contrast, easier-to-read UI, and larger, screen-filling app windows, this makes the 17in screen feel much higher-end. No more waiting 2-3 secs for the controls window to open!

The AC gets cold fast, and at appropriate temps. It will now blow cold air at 72, instead of needed to go down to 67 to get cold air. Gets cold faster, and overall works better.

Throttle response is better at low speeds. Smoother and more responsive. Just feels better. Don't know if this is just the torque sleep improvements, or if the other low speed improvements mentioned in autopilot release notes made it here as well.

Fix the instrument cluster (return time and temp, swap odometer and battery bar/remaining miles locations, double or triple the size of the battery icon like it was before) and this will be a really solid update.

Yep, service can see my individual tire pressures, but as an owner, I'm apparently not to be trusted with such sensitive information. They can be associated with individual tires, they would just have to be manually associated. Which is EASY! Just lower the pressure on one tire, check the TPMS readout, and assign the lower pressure tire to the location of the tire whose pressure you just lowered! Good lord, Tesla could reduce this to a simple wizard that could walk a person through re-association after a tire rotation.
You cannot be assure that the TMPS units will report in in the same sequence every time you start the car, so "assigning a location" will not work. All you will have is four values but you cannot localize them and you can never be sure in which order the units report in.

And really, there was no way to give those without electromechanical brakes the new and improved version of brake/hill hold? I mean, if you can hold it for two seconds already using the existing feature, why can't you hold it indefinitely until the pedal is pressed? The software can already control the brakes in the older cars. It's doing it already.
I think you are making a flawed assumption here--if the existing brakes could be controlled electronically, they would not have had to go through the expense of the electromechanical brakes for the AP. I believe the hill hold in classic cars is really accomplished via a bit of motor torque and the only electrically controlled brake is the e-brake.

After driving into the sun with the sunglasses, I did call Tesla to mention that the top and bottom of the touch screen do need some revision to see things better. 100% brightness doesn't help with day or night modes, however, removing the sun glasses does help. Perhaps some highlighting around the letters or icons will help. Gray background with black lettering would help, as it does with the media screen. Perhaps some color options to match the interior would be ideal. A digital figured ash to match the new dashboard?

Classics got this? I thought for the drivetrain we only got torque sleep when stopped.

Perhaps it's my imagination, but it feels different. Specifically when I start moving from stopped, or if I'm still slightly rolling backwards and switch to drive and start going forward. Don't know if that is simply the torque sleep, or if the other stuff made it here and wasn't documented (wouldn't surprise me). Could be just placebo. My girlfriend commented it was smoother before I told her I got a software update (and didn't even notice the new graphics when I asked her what she thought was changed).

Last edited:
So, just wrapped up a road trip into SF yesterday then up through Napa today, so got to live with the new UI for a few hours of actual driving, so a few thoughts

1) I have been a fan of the UI since the leaked photos--and that has not changed after staying at it for about 6 hours in varying lighting conditions--its clean and uncluttered and I am glad they punted on the Skeuomorphism. My better half, who is not aware of all the v7 UI drama noticed the new UI on her own and remarked she liked it--less cluttered and less noise
2) I like the presentation of the maps on the left side of the--very nicely done
3) The odometer in the speedo makes no sense, kinda pointless, if there was one thing I would change, its swap the position of the odometer and battery/miles
4) Surprisingly, miss having the full date available, maybe expand the time in the top right corner of the 17" display to include date
5) While I am a fan of the "design language" of v7, there are a number of inconsistencies in implementation I hope they fix in v7.1
6) I have a "pre-retina" dash, but everything seems a bit sharper--I think that might be a by-product of the simpler graphics, which I think is a good trade

All this being said, for us classic owners, as this is essentially a new "skin" and there is no new functionality the UI needs to support, I do think Tesla should give folks the option of retaining the 6.2 UI with the understanding that it's frozen and there will be no further enhancements or guaranteed compatibility with any future capabilities (I don't think it reasonable to ask Tesla to maintain to separate UIs gong forward); however, I have no idea what the SW arch looks like, so not sure if that is feasible.

I am confused. Overall, you like the new UI, except for:

1. The battery and odometer should be swapped
  2. The odometer font is too big
  3. The gear indicator placement is wrong
  4. You have a hard time seeing the speedometer and power meter
  5. You want the date and time to be kept in a different place.
  6. The top line of the 17" screen should be changed
  7. It is hard to tell the favorites from the add-favorites button
  8. The clock time displays differently than you like.

Yep, everything seems hunky-dory. At least you get to see your brake lights. Glad you are happy with it.

Let me clear up your confusion. I like the new non-skeuomorphic look and the other items I listed. All these other nitpicks are relatively minor and are easily fixable but I will get used to them no problem. The last one 8. is left over from V.6 in case you weren't aware. I am trying to be constructive. I am glad you are glad. Everything is hunky dory, its a great car and I love the fact we can get a new look to a three year old car.

5) While I am a fan of the "design language" of v7, there are a number of inconsistencies in implementation I hope they fix in v7.1

I've yet to figure out why the speedometer "floats" with the drop shadow. Makes no sense to me given the rest of the design direction.

The temperature and volume controls along the bottom of the 17" are an abomination. It's too simplistic.