Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be fair, you're guessing on napabill's guess. It's possible it was moved for reasons completely unrelated to "the end of range anxiety." And I don't know if there's a consensus around their "poor decisions", though I could be mistaken. Falcon wings? :wink:

Your point is well taken, however - there are places around the world with a lot less Supercharger coverage than California. Still, your superchargers get you some Corsicana baked delights!
Actually I was accusing napabill of California-centric thinking, just like Tesla does But I haven't seen a better explanation for the smaller and off in the corner battery meter/rated range than trying to downplay the battery range. Out of sight, out of mind seems to be the best explanation.

It's actually not that simple. I've noticed cases where I'm getting nearly 60 kW and no brake lights while on the highway. Also get it much lower than 30 kW when you're going slower. It's definitely not as simple as > 30 kW.
This is my experience, as least as of 7.0 when I started looking. It seems to depend on the rate of change of the acceleration (the jerk?). One can slowly ramp up the regen all they way up to 60 kW, and the brake lights will not come on. But if there's a quick change in regen, they come on. It doesn't seem to be dependent on absolute value of regen kW at all.

If the brake lights come on for regen - say when you lift off coming up to a red light, then the brakes will stay on right down to 1 or 2 miles an hour - even though by then the regen is negligable
Yep, there's hysteresis in the algorithm. Once the lights come on due to regen, they seem to stay on until the accelerator is pressed, or the brake pedal is released.

Actually I was accusing napabill of California-centric thinking, just like Tesla does�� But I haven't seen a better explanation for the smaller and off in the corner battery meter/rated range than trying to downplay the battery range. Out of sight, out of mind seems to be the best explanation.

Regardless of Tesla's "logic" on this one they are making it abundantly clear that one is to assign higher priority to the odometer than the range and capacity.

Keep in mind that there are many other legimate uses to the range display beyond range anxiety. 99% of the time I don't have range anxiety in the Model S. That doesn't mean that I don't care about my charge state - I still glance at the battery icon fairly often.

Yep, there's hysteresis in the algorithm. Once the lights come on due to regen, they seem to stay on until the accelerator is pressed, or the brake pedal is released.

Not on my car with 6.1 and 6.2. Did you car do that then or did it jut stet with 7.0? I agree there is hysteresis there, but I regularly have the brake lights turn off with no feet on the pedals.

Brake light is activated by brake pedal and degree of deceleration. One can be going downhill with lots of regeneration, but not activating brake light unless the brake pedal is applied. It is a signal to car following you that you are drastically decelerating. Try it for yourself.

Not on my car with 6.1 and 6.2. Did you car do that then or did it jut stet with 7.0? I agree there is hysteresis there, but I regularly have the brake lights turn off with no feet on the pedals.
Brake light is activated by brake pedal and degree of deceleration. One can be going downhill with lots of regeneration, but not activating brake light unless the brake pedal is applied. It is a signal to car following you that you are drastically decelerating. Try it for yourself.
But just as I have many occurrences where I the brake lights turn off with no feet on any pedals, I do also have times where the brake lights engage from regen.

It is not as simple as only turns on when hitting the brake pedal nor staying on when activated all the way to zero.

Dunno about 6.1 and 6.2 (never bothered to check). Not sure about all cases, but the few I tested once the brake lights came on due to regen, they stayed on until I ether pressed the accelerator, or if I pressed the brake to fully stop they turned off when I released the brake.

Dunno about 6.1 and 6.2 (never bothered to check). Not sure about all cases, but the few I tested once the brake lights came on due to regen, they stayed on until I ether pressed the accelerator, or if I pressed the brake to fully stop they turned off when I released the brake.

Ok, so you are explicitly talking about behavior in v7, you just don't know if it's new behavior for your car. Correct?

Actually I was accusing napabill of California-centric thinking, just like Tesla does But I haven't seen a better explanation for the smaller and off in the corner battery meter/rated range than trying to downplay the battery range. Out of sight, out of mind seems to be the best explanation.

I explained my reason why I think they did it. There was no room in the center in autopilot cars. They left the code the same for non-autopilot cars. No other reason than that.

Isn't it great to gripe about these things with the hope of improvement? Can you imagine complaining publicly about the placement of the gas gauge in a '64 1/2 Mustang...in 1964, and expect that Ford would hear you and fix it?

No, but if you took your Mustang in for service and got it back with the gauges all re-arranged (not to your liking), that would be a different story. That's what we're talking about here.

In my opinion, the reality is that cars are moving past the Mustang era and are becoming computers on wheels, consumer electronics with evolving UIs. But we aren't used to that idea, yet. So when our car UI changes significantly, we resist it because we grew up with cars with a fixed UI. Those days are gone.
With every smartphone, table, and computer UI change, some people like them and some people hate them, and some just quietly adapt. It is impossible to satisfy everyone, but that shouldn't stop manufacturers from changing and evolving their UI design.
Sometimes UI changes are made and then quickly revised because of a high level of customer satisfaction. It already appears, based on the latest European Model S software, that Tesla has responded to customer concerns. Elon has made clear that the coming V7.1 release will introduce additional UI changes.
Interesting times...

Just a quick question. Everyone is talking about brake light activation. Are you seeing the brake lights come on in the toy car display?
I ask because my toy car display NEVER shows my brake lights coming on. It does show headlights on, but never brake lights.

I wonder if it's because I don't have the tech package? Maybe there are so few of us without the tech package, they just forgot us?
But why headlights and not brake lights?

In my opinion, the reality is that cars are moving past the Mustang era and are becoming computers on wheels, consumer electronics with evolving UIs. But we aren't used to that idea, yet. So when our car UI changes significantly, we resist it because we grew up with cars with a fixed UI. Those days are gone.
With every smartphone, table, and computer UI change, some people like them and some people hate them, and some just quietly adapt. It is impossible to satisfy everyone, but that shouldn't stop manufacturers from changing and evolving their UI design.
Sometimes UI changes are made and then quickly revised because of a high level of customer satisfaction. It already appears, based on the latest European Model S software, that Tesla has responded to customer concerns. Elon has made clear that the coming V7.1 release will introduce additional UI changes.
Interesting times...

+1

Very good summary!!

Just a quick question. Everyone is talking about brake light activation. Are you seeing the brake lights come on in the toy car display?
I ask because my toy car display NEVER shows my brake lights coming on. It does show headlights on, but never brake lights.

I wonder if it's because I don't have the tech package? Maybe there are so few of us without the tech package, they just forgot us?
I have the tech package and cannot see the brake lights ever, someone said it is because we have a red car in the display and it is hard to see because of that.

What color is your car? It's very difficult to see on the red toy car.

Apparently you don't notice it on red cars...

If we have to display a toy car in the center of the screen, can we choose which one? My preference is a British Racing Green Jaguar XKE - was always my favorite toy car.
(Love my Model S Multi Coat Red with RED BRAKE LIGHTS displayed - we have yet to actually see them)

Elon: note to self - eliminate toy car.

Some members have reported that it's not easy to distinguish brake lights on a red model car in the instrument cluster. But that model is accurate enough that the brake light strip above the rear window is modeled, and while that's pretty small, it is possible to see that light up on the instrument cluster when the brake lights are activated.