Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 Beta Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They got another version of 7.0. If it's another beta or a release candidate (RC), only Tesla knows.

I may be driving DC<>Boston round trip this weekend. I'd love to be able to test highway lane keeping and the new UI and provide feedback, if anyone from Tesla is reading this ... :\

They got another version of 7.0. If it's another beta or a release candidate (RC), only Tesla knows.

I may be driving DC<>Boston round trip this weekend. I'd love to be able to test highway lane keeping and the new UI and provide feedback, if anyone from Tesla is reading this ... :\

Good luck with that. I tried noting things like this (offering to beta test) when I had 8000 miles of driving ahead, 2000 of which was since EAP folks got auto steer. They don't seem interested in real experiences like long interstate drives since they ignored these offers.

What are the chances that the IP UI being given to Beta Users is purposely not the 'final' UI? Admittedly, I focused more on the center console when I had the chance to see v7 in the Tesla car I posted about in the summer, but the IP energy gauge that I recall seeing was much 'nicer' looking than what the leaked pictures show. It was also 'fancier' looking, so it being pared down could be a result to limit CPU/GPU resources needed for graphics, as has been discussed. Or, it could be that Tesla is holding out the 'pretty' stuff for a more official unveil.

My thoughts on the IP as leaked is that it is pretty boring. I haven't really formed an opinion about the removal of info. While it very well may be the final design, I'm left hoping Tesla has a surprise in store. I have no idea how realistic it is that they test the software with a different 'skin' than they plan to use for production. I imagine the focus of the testing is all around autopilot features, so the look of it may not be what they feel the need to test.

More than anything, it's wishful thinking that we get a nicer UI (for whatever reason) than what has been leaked thus far.

What are the chances that the IP UI being given to Beta Users is purposely not the 'final' UI?

Lol, that's the same thing the Model X posters were saying wrt to having "fake" test mule's out, to confuse the public, but the real thing would be something much cooler.

Seriously? Do you think Tesla has the time to release a fake UI to give the beta users, and then re-design it and release the real deal to everyone? If they're beta testers, chances are they have what actually needs to be tested!

Good luck with that. I tried noting things like this (offering to beta test) when I had 8000 miles of driving ahead, 2000 of which was since EAP folks got auto steer. They don't seem interested in real experiences like long interstate drives since they ignored these offers.

Fascinating conclusion.
By that logic, are you suggesting, since they turned down your offer, that they don't already have any "real experiences" in their beta group?

Lol, that's the same thing the Model X posters were saying wrt to having "fake" test mule's out, to confuse the public, but the real thing would be something much cooler.

Seriously? Do you think Tesla has the time to release a fake UI to give the beta users, and then re-design it and release the real deal to everyone? If they're beta testers, chances are they have what actually needs to be tested!

Not only that, testing the UI is a major part of Beta testing. Having something different would mean you QA'd and got feedback for nothing.

Fascinating conclusion.
By that logic, are you suggesting, since they turned down your offer, that they don't already have any "real experiences" in their beta group?

I was being a bit facetious, but yes I do think that it is at least partly true. While they have a beta group, the percentage of people in that group that is going to take a long trip while trying out the software is likely not super high based on what I've been told. So, someone willing to test out their beta software and provide feedback over thousands of miles of driving in a short time at no cost or penalty to them whatsoever. I get to test a long awaited feature on a long drive, they get data and knowledgeable feedback from the same. Seems pretty win-win to me, and they're foolish to think otherwise.

I was being a bit facetious, but yes I do think that it is at least partly true. While they have a beta group, the percentage of people in that group that is going to take a long trip while trying out the software is likely not super high based on what I've been told. So, someone willing to test out their beta software and provide feedback over thousands of miles of driving in a short time at no cost or penalty to them whatsoever. I get to test a long awaited feature on a long drive, they get data and knowledgeable feedback from the same. Seems pretty win-win to me, and they're foolish to think otherwise.

And you threatening Tesla with a class action lawsuit, I suppose that is also a win-win right ?

I don't believe anyone is arguing that your opinion is wrong.
What people are trying to do is a look at what data is valuable to the most people. Also, what data is the most important for safely operating the vehicle.

Well, every other dashboard in every modern "sports sedan" or even "luxury sedan" like BMW ("M" series in particular) as well as Mercedes have very complex instrument panels -- which is necessary because these automakers have concluded that the driver needs that level of information to be a good driver.

But Tesla is in a unique position to offer different dashboards to different people to configure as they please -- which they're already doing with the left and right panels (not "apps") to display a media player, Nav screen, energy usage and trip odos, or even blank if that's what the user wants.

But what we're seeing now from all these beta leaks is that Tesla is intentionally and significantly LIMITING and/or removing critical information and content that they've deemed unessential. And we can not get it back without other sacrificing other critical data (i.e. having to display the ugly clock to get time/temp/date). This is abhorrent to me. Even if it is "lower priority" information like time, temp, and date -- that's information that I have become dependent on being in the IC and that I want displayed all the time -- not on the side panel.

Because the IC is highly configurable, just give all users what they want -- if it's no information, give them that. If it's everything including the kitchen sink, make that an option. But the common denominator for all UIs going forward can NOT be 50% of the information that's there now.

It's easier for people to ignore information that they don't want on the screen than for people who need it have it not there at all.

Well, every other dashboard in every modern "sports sedan" or even "luxury sedan" like BMW ("M" series in particular) as well as Mercedes have very complex instrument panels -- which is necessary because these automakers have concluded that the driver needs that level of information to be a good driver.

I'm not convinced that follows. It may be that these automakers have concluded that bling sells. (C.f. my earlier comments about Apple and its usability-is-job-two philosophy.)

I agree that configurability seems like the right answer.

And you threatening Tesla with a class action lawsuit, I suppose that is also a win-win right ?

I've never done such a thing. (And completely off topic)

But for the record, in my conversations with Tesla months ago I agreed to completely drop and ignore the horsepower and range misrepresentations if they allowed me to beta test autopilot/autosteer for some of my upcoming travel. They still weren't interested. Pretty sure that was far more than win-win for them.

Since that travel is long past, most of which I ended up flying for instead, that offer is definitely off the table.

Last edited:

But Tesla is in a unique position to offer different dashboards to different people to configure as they please -- which they're already doing with the left and right panels (not "apps") to display a media player, Nav screen, energy usage and trip odos, or even blank if that's what the user wants.

But what we're seeing now from all these beta leaks is that Tesla is intentionally and significantly LIMITING and/or removing critical information and content that they've deemed unessential. And we can not get it back without other sacrificing other critical data (i.e. having to display the ugly clock to get time/temp/date). This is abhorrent to me. Even if it is "lower priority" information like time, temp, and date -- that's information that I have become dependent on being in the IC and that I want displayed all the time -- not on the side panel.

Because the IC is highly configurable, just give all users what they want -- if it's no information, give them that. If it's everything including the kitchen sink, make that an option. But the common denominator for all UIs going forward can NOT be 50% of the information that's there now.

It's easier for people to ignore information that they don't want on the screen than for people who need it have it not there at all.

Think of it this way - Tesla has a limited supply of what they can accomplish. If they think that a simplified UI design will appeal to the masses (both Model S owners, and Model X owners who will be taking delivery very soon), that's the route they're going to take.

I can see that you care about the time/date/temp. But for most people - those aren't necessities on the dash.

Having an option to bring it back would satisfy everyone, but that takes more time (albeit it, probably not as long as it takes to get AP out ;)). So it may come in the future if enough people ask for it, but they have a lot of other high priority items to work on, and I don't think they deem this high priority.

Normal I would agree with you that they would not have time to design a temporary test UI. However, in this case the UI is so crude, it looks like it was put together in 1/2 a day by an intern, so I doubt it really took much time away from real development.

It really look like a temporary, hook-the-code-outputs-up-to-something-on-screen-to-we-can-visualize-what-happening placeholder interface. I've done many of those over the years. They later get replaced by a real interface that accepts the same output from the code, but displays it nicely for the end user.

I agreed to completely drop and ignore the horsepower and range misrepresentations if they allowed me to beta test autopilot/autosteer for some of my upcoming travel. They still weren't interested. Pretty sure that was far more than win-win for them.

Since that travel is long past, most of which I ended up flying for instead, that offer is definitely off the table.

Sounds like they weren't interested in your offer on the table to stop threatening, so I'm sure they're fine with it be withdrawn. As noted many times, Tesla (like most companies) selects beta testers based on a number of criteria. Basically trying to bargain your way into the program isn't going to work.

And if you thought your range and hp issues were real, why would you be willing to drop those? I've had people basically threaten me in my career with "if you don't give me x, y, and z, I'm going to call FDA and report the company." My response? "Here's the FDA's phone number. Call 'em." Saying you'd drop other threats against them if they gave you what you want just reminds me of that. You're a smart guy. You had to know this was not a good way to go about things.

But for the record, in my conversations with Tesla months ago I agreed to completely drop and ignore the horsepower and range misrepresentations if they allowed me to beta test autopilot/autosteer for some of my upcoming travel. They still weren't interested. Pretty sure that was far more than win-win for them.
No company in there right mind would ever put someone that is in anyway hostel towards them into a beta test program for their newest and most advanced technology.

No company in there right mind would ever put someone that is in anyway hostel towards them into a beta test program for their newest and most advanced technology.

This was far before any "hostility." lol. This was literally back when I was just asking questions about the horsepower ratings, autopilot delays, etc, in a very friendly informal conversation with a regional service manager at Tesla.

Normal I would agree with you that they would not have time to design a temporary test UI. However, in this case the UI is so crude, it looks like it was put together in 1/2 a day by an intern, so I doubt it really took much time away from real development.

It really look like a temporary, hook-the-code-outputs-up-to-something-on-screen-to-we-can-visualize-what-happening placeholder interface. I've done many of those over the years. They later get replaced by a real interface that accepts the same output from the code, but displays it nicely for the end user.

I understand what you are saying, but I don't think that is the case here :(

1) why bother creating release notes using screen shots ?
2) why roll it out to external customers when they have enough staff cars for this alpha level of testing ?
3) asking beta tester users to ignore the UI and concentrate on the features doesn't work in my career experience ;)