Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 Beta Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks de-cluttered, and not like an engineer made it.

It's exactly where Tesla needs to go to sell to your 'average' consumer. While the zillion gauges are (and I agree) cool w/version 6 on the dash, it can be quite overwhelming for many people... so much stuff to look at! Really you just need MPH and range...

I'm not saying any UI is perfect for everyone, but this looks like the right path to me. I'll test v7!

Another picture:
11924763_10155955455765521_7904236016544266777_n.jpg

It looks de-cluttered, and not like an engineer made it.

It's exactly where Tesla needs to go to sell to your 'average' consumer. While the zillion gauges are (and I agree) cool w/version 6 on the dash, it can be quite overwhelming for many people... so much stuff to look at! Really you just need MPH and range...

I'm not saying any UI is perfect for everyone, but this looks like the right path to me. I'll test v7!

What if Tesla gave us an option of allowing to use old design or new design...then people can pick how they want to see and what they want to see

What if Tesla gave us an option of allowing to use old design or new design...then people can pick how they want to see and what they want to see
Ultimately, I'd like to see an option to "skin" the dashboard in a style you can create. Lots of software has this ability and it would help with the inevitable complaints by some people that they don't like the new interface... they could just make their own UI.

Youtube video:

OK.

I don't want to over-react. Really, I don't.

But that looks ****ing awful. I mean, really, really dumb. Why do I want a giant glowing picture of my car front and center in the display at all times?! WHY WOULD I WANT THAT? It provides no useful information. I remember what color my car is. I can tell the headlights are on because I can see the light in front of the car...and because there is ALSO a green "your headlights are on" indicator which as been retained in the upper left corner. All it does is waste space.

An analog clock? Really? And the only way I get the temp display is if I have that giant thing taking up half the display?

Oy. I can only hope I'm one of the last to get the update. Maybe I'll have sold/returned the car by then.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the fact that you can see the brake lights and blinkers a little better. There are other aspects that don't look good though so I hope there is an option for choosing this skin or the old one though. The analogue clock, while it looks nice, isn't as good at a digital one when you are driving since a quick glance is necessary. There aren't even numbers to line the clock arms up with, so a quick glance is impossible.

The UI appears to have been changed less than we were led to imagine from earlier leaks. I'd love to see a video of the graphical representation of other traffic around your car in the center of the driving console. Wonder if this is a harbinger of a widespread release or a fluke? I lean towards the idea it is a mistake.

OK.

But that looks ****ing awful. I mean, really, really dumb. Why do I want a giant glowing picture of my car front and center in the display at all times?! WHY WOULD I WANT THAT? I provides no useful information. I remember what color my car is. I can tell the headlights are on because I can see the light in front of the car...and because there is ALSO a green "your headlights are on" indicator which as been retained in the upper left corner. All it does is waste space.

An analog clock? Really? And the only way I get the temp display is if I have that giant thing taking up half the display?

Oy. I can only hope I'm one of the last to get the update. Maybe I'll have sold/returned the car by then.

You got a temp display on the 17" screen too.

OK.

But that looks ****ing awful. I mean, really, really dumb. Why do I want a giant glowing picture of my car front and center in the display at all times?! WHY WOULD I WANT THAT? I provides no useful information. I remember what color my car is. I can tell the headlights are on because I can see the light in front of the car...and because there is ALSO a green "your headlights are on" indicator which as been retained in the upper left corner. All it does is waste space.

TOTALLY Agree. Also, no Day/Date in the display? This is a disaster.

The UI appears to have been changed less than we were led to imagine from earlier leaks. I'd love to see a video of the graphical representation of other traffic around your car in the center of the driving console. Wonder if this is a harbinger of a widespread release or a fluke? I lean towards the idea it is a mistake.

Two separate Norwegians have it. I thought fluke at first too, but now it seems like it's a legit rollout of v7 in Norway.

- - - Updated - - -

I bet these are intentional leaks to get the public to provide feedback.

Tesla Engineer 1 "We should leak the video so that we know what we missed"
Tesla Engineer 2 "Great idea!"
*video leaks, wait a few days*
Tesla Engineer 1 "See I told you! We forgot about the temp/time on the center screen!"
Tesla Engineer 2 "Yeah, and skins is a great idea!"

I like the overall look, but non of the apps on the main 17" screen look updated at all. And although the dash looks nice, I wish the energy meter can be viewed without dedicated the entire side of the display to "Energy". I like to see "Trip" and "Media" at the same time on the dash, but I need the energy meter at all times.