Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Came home from vacation to find 6.0 ready to install and looking forward to using the new calendar feature. Paired no problem but would only sync my calendar after a force kill of the app as suggested in an earlier post. I don't drive to appointments, but it will be nice to see my day as I head into the office each morning. I like the new speed dial and it seems there was a slight tweaking of the graphics every where else. Everything looks a little bit cleaner and crisper. I don't have navigation, but the colors of traffic and maps changed a little bit as well and the ability to save places is nice.

I couldn't detect any changes in regen but I did notice creep to not be as aggressive, I actually thought it was off.

Ugh. I read 9 pages of this thread and then tried a search but didn't see this come up: the first detent on the turn signal stalk would cause the turn signal to blink 3 times to signal a lane change. Yesterday my car was in to repair a seized window regulator, new tires, underbody shield, blah blah. The loaner had 6.0, and I was annoyed to find that the stalk didn't function the same way. No lane change 3 blinks at first detent. I figured it was just that car. Well, they informed me when I picked up my car that they had loaded 6.0 for me and guess what? Now my car does the same thing. I love the other updates but am super annoyed with that stalk behavior. Am I the only one who used it???
Huh. I'm on 6.0 and pretty sure the 3-blink functionality still works. Will test it tomorrow to be totally sure.

Hi Todd, thank you for a great response and explanation.

To clear up some confusion, I'm not saying heavy regen cuts down range, what I'm saying is less regen will increase range because of additional coasting...it's a subtle difference.

In other words, 200 miles of range will not cut down to (a hypothetical) 190 miles with heavy regen, however 200 miles of range will increase to (a hypothetical) 210 miles with less regen and more coasting.

Also, I'm only assuming that coasting is the reason for my extra miles when regen is low, there could be an entirely different explanation.

Anyway, thanks again for a great explanation!

I think the fundamentals of what you're saying are correct. Less regen is more efficient, assuming you're coasting rather than braking to account for the rest of the deceleration. You're just wrongly apportioning the blame on the regen setting instead of on your right foot. More available regen is always better.

Is the new 6.0 regen best described as a smoothing of the attack (and release?) while still retaining the same overall power of the old regen? I jumped from 4.5 up to 6.0 but haven't yet tried it on my 30 mile downgrade. Around town it does seem to be smoother in operation thus less of a surprise to newbies (a good thing I guess).
--

Is the new 6.0 regen best described as a smoothing of the attack (and release?) while still retaining the same overall power of the old regen? I jumped from 4.5 up to 6.0 but haven't yet tried it on my 30 mile downgrade. Around town it does seem to be smoother in operation thus less of a surprise to newbies (a good thing I guess).
--
That's how I would characterize it. It seems to have a smoother attack, but still caps at 60kW (standard) regen above 45mph, just as before, it just takes a little more time to get to the maximum. The effect is less of a jolt when suddenly decelerating.

6.0 Nav, not exactly what I expected.

I've had 6.0 for almost a week now and have to say that I really don't see much difference in Nav. Yesterday I went on a 60 mile round trip down I5 through Seattle. Nav put me on I5 as I expected but it gave me a best case travel time even though the traffic was either running at about 30 mph or stop and go. The map correctly showed the bad traffic. Google Nav predicted a much longer travel time that jibed with my previous experiences (which was about 75% longer). I bailed on I5 and got there about 5 minutes later than the TNav prediction.

Also, I'm kind of disappointed in the new blue route line on the map - it blots out the traffic indications only just a little less. I was kind of hoping that they would make it look like the traffic info was on top of the route line. After all, you have the same route info on the instrument panel, not sure why it has to be so prominent on the main map.

Last edited:
I may be sticking my neck out here, but about 10,000km logged before v6.0, I was averaging an unimpressive 210Wh/km. I often travel anywhere between 90-120km/hr - in my sig 85. Immediately after 6.0, doing 89-110km/hr, I was averaging as low as 154Wh/km (400km trip from Toronto/Lawrence Supercharger all the way to beyond Renfrew), and can often get 180Wh/km now without trying hard. (Temperatures 13degC to 20degC). This is a HUGE difference I am noticing. Am I on my own here? Also, Traffic based routing was a pain on the 401, as yes, it recognizes traffic and tried re-routing me, but did not 'know' that the HOV lanes on the 401 were empty, which we are allowed to use until June of next year (as single driver - no passengers) [edit after reading backwards more] - while the regen feels absolutely no different to me - something has to explain this improvement in efficiency - as my driving and the weather have not changed much in the past few weeks - ps - always have trip meter on display beside speedo.

Last edited:
--
To some of us there is no "new" regen. My car feels the same. As previously noted, I recommend anybody experiencing a difference to try toggling the setting a few times (and perhaps rebooting) to see if it's just "the return of Folger's crystals Low regen".

... but did not 'know' that the HOV lanes on the 401 were empty, which we are allowed to use until June of next year (as single driver - no passengers)

What HOV lanes on the 401? And this is the first I have heard of the Green plated vehicles not able to use HOV lanes as a single passenger being dropped, is there a link to this June expiry? (Not that there are any HOV lanes near me that I get to use)

What HOV lanes on the 401? And this is the first I have heard of the Green plated vehicles not able to use HOV lanes as a single passenger being dropped, is there a link to this June expiry? (Not that there are any HOV lanes near me that I get to use)

I'm assuming he meant the QEW , and from this link it says " Drivers of electric vehicles with green licence plates will be granted access to high occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes on 400-series highways until July 1, 2015, even if there is only one individual in the car. "

I may be sticking my neck out here, but about 10,000km logged before v6.0, I was averaging an unimpressive 210Wh/km. I often travel anywhere between 90-120km/hr - in my sig 85. Immediately after 6.0, doing 89-110km/hr, I was averaging as low as 154Wh/km (400km trip from Toronto/Lawrence Supercharger all the way to beyond Renfrew), and can often get 180Wh/km now without trying hard. (Temperatures 13degC to 20degC). This is a HUGE difference I am noticing. Am I on my own here? Also, Traffic based routing was a pain on the 401, as yes, it recognizes traffic and tried re-routing me, but did not 'know' that the HOV lanes on the 401 were empty, which we are allowed to use until June of next year (as single driver - no passengers) [edit after reading backwards more] - while the regen feels absolutely no different to me - something has to explain this improvement in efficiency - as my driving and the weather have not changed much in the past few weeks - ps - always have trip meter on display beside speedo.
Are you sure you're still measuring in Wh/km and not Wh/mile? The improvememt actually sounds to good to be true.

- - - Updated - - -

To some of us there is no "new" regen. My car feels the same. As previously noted, I recommend anybody experiencing a difference to try toggling the setting a few times (and perhaps rebooting) to see if it's just "the return of Folger's crystals Low regen".
Definately less regen. At least for city speeds (less than 70 kph). Before 6.0 I got max regen at 60 KW even at those speeds. Now I get no more than 45KW. It is noticeable and I tend to use the brake more. Also my average Wh usage for daily commute has gone up.

I took delivery of my brand new S on 09/19/14 and it came with 5.14 even though my DS told me it would have 6.0. Apparently, 6.0 was halted as I guess there were bugs identified. SUCKS as I was excited about some of the features coming in 6.0, although I'm very disappointed back-up camera guide lines weren't included or a way to lock the dang glove box. Anyway, questions. I'm on 5.14 and wondering how will I know when 6.0 is finally pushed to my car? Will I just get a notification on the screen in the car or will I also get an email? Wondering if I have to keep checking the car every few hours while at home to see if 6.0 comes or what ... Thanks :)

I took delivery of my brand new S on 09/19/14 and it came with 5.14 even though my DS told me it would have 6.0. Apparently, 6.0 was halted as I guess there were bugs identified. SUCKS as I was excited about some of the features coming in 6.0, although I'm very disappointed back-up camera guide lines weren't included or a way to lock the dang glove box. Anyway, questions. I'm on 5.14 and wondering how will I know when 6.0 is finally pushed to my car? Will I just get a notification on the screen in the car or will I also get an email? Wondering if I have to keep checking the car every few hours while at home to see if 6.0 comes or what ... Thanks :)

You will get a notice on the center screen. No email updates to my knowledge. You will drive yourself crazy if you check every few hours. It could be days or weeks before it shows up. I'm on 5.12 and still haven't received the update.

just let the surprise happen when it happens..............

--

It is 100% unchanged. Placebo effect.

hahaha .. thanks for the info ... I got misleading info elsewhere that said I would get an email as well so I didn't know for sure which it was. I know, I hate the not knowing and of course it will pop up when I'm leaving to go somewhere so won't be able to do it until I get back. Ugh....

- - - Updated - - -

It is 100% unchanged. Placebo effect.

I am surprised at the lack of additional features in 6.0 since Elon touted over and over that it was going to be a BIG update! Still no reverse camera guide lines, no way to lock the glove box, no way to keep people from turning off remote access (happened to me the other day when I dropped off for TINT), no way to see tire pressure, etc.. etc.. etc... on some of the most requested features ... disappointing .. Wish they would expand the UI team and pump out more features quicker, with proper testing of course :)