Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
6.0 stuff:

-Got .13 2 days ago... the .15 flavor (assumed) is installing now...

-I didn't lose the "turn signal 3-flash" behavior after moving to v6.0

-I've enabled the "always connected" option for power saving. My phone connects in ~15 seconds and my vampire loss was only about 2 miles over the course of being parked for 9 hours yesterday. I like it.

-The day after getting 6.0 my range estimate remained the same for my standard 60% charge. Over the last two days it has crept up one mile. I suspect that has much more to with other variables like temps, normal fluctuations, etc... more so than any real change on the algorithms.

-I'll test my "USB crash" behavior again with .15, my intial attempt to play USB content crashed my center conole after getting .13, howver subsequent attempts were just fine.

-No notification of new maps yet after my service-center supplied 6.0 upragde (although I still note my on-dash Navigon display is slghtly different, so I wonder). Has anybody else who has received 6.0 over the air and NOT received updated maps notice that the "Lane guidance" pop-up graphics on the dash are now blue rather than orange?

That's a very small group of cars out of the thousands on the road...and a few of them are resolved by a reboot. Seems pretty darn good to me.I'll throw it out there and recommend rebooting the center screen before and after an update is installed. As with anything computerized, it generally works better after freshly starting up.Oh,just checked my turn signal, I get the 3 blinks still and I'm on 1.65.15.-m

Ugh. I read 9 pages of this thread and then tried a search but didn't see this come up: the first detent on the turn signal stalk would cause the turn signal to blink 3 times to signal a lane change. Yesterday my car was in to repair a seized window regulator, new tires, underbody shield, blah blah. The loaner had 6.0, and I was annoyed to find that the stalk didn't function the same way. No lane change 3 blinks at first detent. I figured it was just that car. Well, they informed me when I picked up my car that they had loaded 6.0 for me and guess what? Now my car does the same thing. I love the other updates but am super annoyed with that stalk behavior. Am I the only one who used it???

Oh no, that is surely a regression if it was removed. My guess is that it is a bug and will be fixed in a subsequent update. Did you report it through the new voice command bug report?

As with anything computerized, it generally works better after freshly starting up.Oh,just checked my turn signal, I get the 3 blinks still and I'm on 1.65.15.-m

Yep, so this is likely just an isolated bug.

There were like, 2 cars that reported the issue. That isn't a widespread thing. And until you get a large enough test group you won't get enough variance to avoid this. I think this is likely one of the biggest reasons for the staggered updates.

Exactly. Which is why I think TM might need to rethink their beta program to include a large subset of configs.

Last edited:
No, and that sucks because I use that all the time myself... I guess we are the only ones who use our turn signals for lane changes :p

I never liked that feature. 3 blinks for a lane change isn't enough. And it's a confusing feature as well. I find that when I manually cancel the turn signal, it's easy to over shoot and cause the opposite signal without the click. First few times it really confused me, No doubt the person behind me thinks there's a crazy person driving. (Not saying they'd be wrong :) ...

This morning installed V6 165.15 (first time I have had V6), drove 25 miles with no issues. Specifically, I don't have the issue described by @Btrflyl8e

Ugh. I read 9 pages of this thread and then tried a search but didn't see this come up: the first detent on the turn signal stalk would cause the turn signal to blink 3 times to signal a lane change. Yesterday my car was in to repair a seized window regulator, new tires, underbody shield, blah blah. The loaner had 6.0, and I was annoyed to find that the stalk didn't function the same way. No lane change 3 blinks at first detent. I figured it was just that car. Well, they informed me when I picked up my car that they had loaded 6.0 for me and guess what? Now my car does the same thing. I love the other updates but am super annoyed with that stalk behavior. Am I the only one who used it???

Uh... no. I have 6.0 and the stalks behave exactly as they did before. I use this feature all the time. No change for me. But if you hold the stalk down too long, you only get one blink. Maybe it's the way you're holding it. :)

I thought folks had this problem last year and it was resolved by replacing the 17" screen assembly? Faulty GPS.

Could well be. I haven't been using nav since the database is so old, and I could tolerate the occasional glitch between north up / track up on the map, but the spinning takes it to a whole new level!

In any event, I reported it to service@ and I'm sure they'll advise.

I never liked that feature. 3 blinks for a lane change isn't enough. And it's a confusing feature as well. I find that when I manually cancel the turn signal, it's easy to over shoot and cause the opposite signal without the click. First few times it really confused me, No doubt the person behind me thinks there's a crazy person driving. (Not saying they'd be wrong :) ...
I love the feature and use it many times a day.

I agree it should be probably at least 4 blinks, and maybe a check to not do the quick blink when canceling a normal blink.

Can someone clarify how the "commute advice" feature determine what is your "normal" route to home/work? In my case, I usually drive a route that is NOT the route that Tesla would tell me to take using the Nav. When Tesla is determining if my route home is x minutes slower, which route are they looking at??
THanks!

What's not to like since it doesn't take away anything? You can still use it like in older cars where you just hold it in the pre-detent/non-locked position during a lane change and the blinker will blink until you release. This even works for fewer-than-three blinks, like one or two.

1) move the stalk to the first detent and release after: less than a quarter of a second, and you get the automatic three blinks.
2) move the stalk to the first detent and release after: more than a quarter of a second, and you will find that you get however many flashes that occur while you have the stalk moved - whether that is one flash, two flashes, or seventeen flashes.

Can someone clarify how the "commute advice" feature determine what is your "normal" route to home/work? In my case, I usually drive a route that is NOT the route that Tesla would tell me to take using the Nav. When Tesla is determining if my route home is x minutes slower, which route are they looking at??
THanks!
My experience is the commuting advice uses as the default the route the navigation system would find that is the shortest time disregarding traffic. If there is a different route that would save you x minutes (user selected) then it notifies you and tapping the navigation button gives you that route. In my case the "new" route the car told me to take to work is the one I always take anyway, because the highway is always backed up during rush hour.

I'm still fuzzy on what triggers the algorithm to evaluate. Any time you nav to a destination? Any time it detects a{charge,travel,stop,travel,charge} route that is roughly consistent (i.e. the charge locations are within some epsilon of each other on the GPS)?

I have yet to see recommendations show up for anything yet.