Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.8.6/7/8/9/10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
- - - Updated - - -

Oh and Tesla also told me that this release changes the behavior slightly for the 12V battery. Previously if you opened the charge port the 12V wasn't backed by the large battery pack until you either started charging or closed the port and pressed brake pedal. Now with this release it will use the wall power to support the 12V until charging starts. This means that there should be less 12V issues with scheduled charging where you wait for long time before scheduled charge starts.
My charge port is always open unless I'm on the road, but the 12V hasn't gone dead. (Since I share a single EVSE between two cars, the S may not be plugged in for days at a time. Hope this update doesn't create a new problem with the 12V.)

My service center told me that 5.8.7 addresses an issue a friend of mine was having with his model S where the rear windows would not roll down fast enough when you open the door quickly and the window would get stuck a little as you opened the door. Apparently 5.8.7 delays the door latch by a few milliseconds to allow the window to roll down.

I just installed it. Looks like it added seat heaters to the driver profile and the display dimming is supposed to now decrease in steps. Don't remember seeing this on the release notes before. (Ends up this is not true, just didn't notice this on the last update)

Last edited:
I just installed it. Looks like it added seat heaters to the driver profile and the display dimming is supposed to now decrease in steps. Don't remember seeing this on the release notes before.

Don't know about the seat heaters but the display dimming in steps was introduced in 5.6.

Oh and Tesla also told me that this release changes the behavior slightly for the 12V battery. Previously if you opened the charge port the 12V wasn't backed by the large battery pack until you either started charging or closed the port and pressed brake pedal. Now with this release it will use the wall power to support the 12V until charging starts. This means that there should be less 12V issues with scheduled charging where you wait for long time before scheduled charge starts.

This is a good change, I'm really surprised it did not work that way before.

Telsa's advice has always been to plug the car in when not in use, but if that did not keep the 12V charged, that advice made a lot less sense...

I am still running 5.6. Ever since 5.8 came out, I have received the software update screen every morning, and the little clock on the top of the screen has remained lit. I even received a call from my local SC. About a week ago, the software screen and the little clock both disappeared. I figured that I finally won the game of chicken with Tesla. After a whole week went by, the alerts reappeared. I was hoping that this would be a newer firmware (i.e.: 6.0) but alas I fear that it is 5.8.7 or some iteration.

I am still running 5.6. Ever since 5.8 came out, I have received the software update screen every morning, and the little clock on the top of the screen has remained lit. I even received a call from my local SC. About a week ago, the software screen and the little clock both disappeared. I figured that I finally won the game of chicken with Tesla. After a whole week went by, the alerts reappeared. I was hoping that this would be a newer firmware (i.e.: 6.0) but alas I fear that it is 5.8.7 or some iteration.

Exact same scenario with me, down to the last detail.