Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally, automatic steering wheel access mode coming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having it operate automatically sounds good, but
  • what if you have a tall passenger behind you?
  • what if you have put something on the floor?
  • as pointed out already, what are the triggers when you don't have an ignition switch?
  • since Tesla haven't figured out how to handle key profiles reliably, what happens when wrong profile is triggered?
I'd really like this, but am not really optimistic it would work. Manual profile access seems the only realistic option :(
This would be an option for the user to select or not. The various components could also be made selectable in a sub menu. I really don't think it is so hard that those rocket scientists could not figure it out!

Agreed. On my Lexus there was an option for "entry assist" or something like that. Having it on would make the seat move back/steering wheel move up and vice-versa. I was just aware of the fact it would move back/forward with respect to the rear seat. If it was a big person getting in that seat, I would tell them that the seat would move automatically forward once I started the car. In the 6 years I owned that car, I turned it on when I first got the car and never turned it off...it just wasn't an issue.

It's more than a little concerning that Musk doesn't think about making his cars competitive in features that are common in other vehicles. Something that is such a common feature is a "good point" to Musk on Twitter??? Is he not aware of what other vehicles provide in terms of comfort and convenience features? Does he live in a bubble?

Not such a genius after all, in my opinion. Maybe he should remove his head from the a**es of hypothetical killer robots and put it back into the vehicle game, where he will make a much more immediate and material impact. Killer robots, indeed. What a ding dong...

It's more than a little concerning that Musk doesn't think about making his cars competitive in features that are common in other vehicles. Something that is such a common feature is a "good point" to Musk on Twitter??? Is he not aware of what other vehicles provide in terms of comfort and convenience features? Does he live in a bubble?

Not such a genius after all, methinks.
I have to disagree, he is a genius he just isn't much of a car designer.

Why shift into Park when you can more easily press the brake pedal to put the car into "Hill Hold" or whatever the official name is for it?
@brucet999 , not all cars have the "Hill Hold" that permanently holds the car until you press the accelerator or brake pedal. That feature came with the Autopilot cars. Prior to that, the cars had Hill Assist, which only held the car for a couple seconds.

Part of Musks problem may be his age. The lack of grab handles and vehicle exit settings seems to point to the fact that most young people would not bother themselves with stuff like that, only old codgers like myself appreciate these type of conveniences. Personally, I REALLY miss grab handles. I use these all the time when in my wife's Honda Accord. In my Tesla, I have to maneuver my legs out then twist and push on the side of the drivers seat to get leverage out of the car.
Still, you would think SOMEONE on the team would put his hand up and suggest it......

Well, we've had 4 software updates (between 2 cars; they never seem to be on the same exact version) and no sign on this feature, which I still miss from the days of driving less expensive ICE cars, even though it's been 4 years in a Tesla now. I guess "one of the upcoming releases" is the new "sooner than anyone thinks".

We're still waiting for other "coming soon features" like the fixes to the 8.0 media player problems introduced a year ago (promised for end of last year), EAP operating at AP1 levels (promised for end of last year), improved browser (first promised years ago), ...

It feels like we are getting close to a major software release (9.0). Usually before that happens, Tesla gets pretty quiet, and the pace of software update releases starts slowing down - both of which appear to be happening now. And with the Model 3 going into production last quarter, it would also make sense for Tesla to do a 9.0 release that might bring the S/3/X cars together with more common software.

The long promised browser update should be in that release, since it appears we finally got the kernel update (also promised years ago). Wouldn't be surprised to see the mentioned exit mode added plus more changes (hopefully improvements) to the media player. And it's been reported Tesla is working on a new navigation app, which will be critical for Tesla to even begin testing and development of EAP/FSD.

We're still waiting for other "coming soon features" like the fixes to the 8.0 media player problems introduced a year ago (promised for end of last year), EAP operating at AP1 levels (promised for end of last year), improved browser (first promised years ago), ...

To add to the list: AP1 automatic highway exit based on navigation, coming in December 2016... [Edit: I see you may have mentioned this.]

Also, EAP was actually supposed to include all this in an update late last year:

Tesla-enhanced-autopilot-upgrade.jpg

Remember how many years it took for Tesla to update the rear camera with lines, despite them being on every other car already? It was promised for a really long time, then it was impossible, then it was added. It's only been 5 months for the exit promise, we can expect it around this time of 2021.

• Funny
Reactions: Max*
Still waiting for the app SDK promised in 2013 as coming soon, highway passing speeds 691hp upgrade from 2015, auto-wipers from 2016, etc, etc.

It seems Elon's tweeter is getting some legal CYA lately, no longer promising dates, or soon, just saying "it will be in one of the upcoming releases" - how else would a feature make it to a customer? It's no different than saying "in the future" , except to some "upcoming release" gives hope. Also, Elon fans are now carrying the torch for him, stating on forums (including here) that whatever feature must be coming soon, next month, next quarter,...

It feels like we are getting close to a major software release (9.0). Usually before that happens, Tesla gets pretty quiet, and the pace of software update releases starts slowing down - both of which appear to be happening now. And with the Model 3 going into production last quarter, it would also make sense for Tesla to do a 9.0 release that might bring the S/3/X cars together with more common software.

The long promised browser update should be in that release, since it appears we finally got the kernel update (also promised years ago). Wouldn't be surprised to see the mentioned exit mode added plus more changes (hopefully improvements) to the media player. And it's been reported Tesla is working on a new navigation app, which will be critical for Tesla to even begin testing and development of EAP/FSD.
But... but... but Tesla is working on a semi... and a pickup truck... and a self-propelled donut that can deliver itself... Tesla is working on anything and everything BUT the stuff that is going to put Tesla out to pasture when real competition arrives. Anyone who thinks Tesla will be able to compete with VW, Porsche, Audi, and the rest are smoking crack. Tesla is utterly incapable of managing priorities.