Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fiat 500e EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Except it is a compliance car, so no real hope it will make it out of CA. I think I read that Chrysler/Fiat is losing more than $10k per car.

Aah, what a deal breaker! I need to replace my wife's compact car in a few years with something that doesn't smell funny and make a lot of noise. The Fiat 500e seemed like a good choice at first glance, if they would ever sell it in Minnesota. I really like the orange and you can say "Fisher Price" or you can say "cute and playful." Waiting 4-5 years for the Gen 3 is going to be annoying.

Aah, what a deal breaker! I need to replace my wife's compact car in a few years with something that doesn't smell funny and make a lot of noise. The Fiat 500e seemed like a good choice at first glance, if they would ever sell it in Minnesota. I really like the orange and you can say "Fisher Price" or you can say "cute and playful." Waiting 4-5 years for the Gen 3 is going to be annoying.

The Leaf is the only one with a heat pump. Doesn't help in deepest winter, but would in milder temperatures like 20F plus. ;)

But, when you don't need cabin heat, the 500e's lighter weight and better aero should make it more efficient.

If you really want a 500e you'd need to buy and have it shipped.

Last edited:
A guy at TTAC is living w/the Fiat 500e for a week. You can probably find his posts at Fiat | The Truth About Cars.

In Living With an EV for a Week – Day Four (can we get a charging standard please?) | The Truth About Cars, it's interesting that he only barely touches on Frankenplug (SAE CCS aka combo connector). I don't follow this writer but it seems he's reasonably well informed (compared to many journalists) about EVs.

I wonder if he realizes that Fiat is essentially in the Frankenplug camp along w/a bunch of others who don't seem to have a serious EV program (except for BMW).

CHAdeMO Association (for DC fast charging) on the other hand has an installed base of at least 2569 DC Fast Chargers and at least 160 in the US. Nissan's been installing a whole bunch of these at their dealers recently. The two cars in the US that can use that are the Leaf (Nissan LEAF Crosses 25,000 U.S. Sales Milestone - Nissan Online Newsroom) and the i-Miev.

Thoughts from driving the 500e at Refuel:
1. The tires can't handle the torque and chirp when you accelerate hard
2. Regen was very mild, and I don't think it can be adjusted
3. It's just so last century to have to insert a metal key, turn it past 2 notches, Press "D", and then go
4. When you insert the navi (smartphone size) that's held on a post into the top of the dash, it totally obscures your forward vision. Between the navi and rearview mirror it's just a slot a couple inches high in the middle of the windshield

It handled nicely for a little car, and I like the looks overall, but the dash was rather plasticy.

Went for a test drive today, 3 people in the car, it takes off like a rocket, actually has a little too much power for its size, the steering wheel shakes when you step on it just like the spark.

The smart is more urbane compared to the 500e, a little less power but more smooth and handles pleasantly with nothing to worry about.

and the smart is a lot cheaper, none of these fiat dealers are honoring the $999 down $199 lease

they just quoted $5,450 down for a $199 a month lease, ridiculous

New coworker just got his 500e. Looks quite nice. (Took my usual charge outlet. Have to work that out.) Issues...

Dealers are nasty. Don't honor website prices (sold out - doesn't matter anymore)
App crashes on Galaxy S android
There's a glitch with DC charging which is supposed to get fixed eventually.

Car receptacle is normal J1772 not frankenplug
6.6kW for Level 2 charging

Finally got to drive one yesterday. The acceleration is as good as all the reviews say, The closest thing to a Tesla on the market. I found the steering a bit squirrely and the regen almost non-existent but other than that it is a great little car.

At $24K here in CA it's a must buy!

...At $24K here in CA it's a must buy!

Good luck finding one at $24k... I've been to several dealers and they've all been adding a "Marketing Adjustment" approximately $3k for the lowest one...

It is a fun little drive...

Dennis
AEdennis for ActiveE Dennis... Soon to take delivery of Roadster #78 and November for our Model S delivery...