Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fatal autopilot crash, NHTSA investigating...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People may overestimate Autopilot due to its name.

Even in aviation, there must be one qualified human supervising Autopilot at all time. A Co-pilot may take a break at one time. A Pilot may take a break at another time but never together and leave Autopilot with no human supervision or with unqualified airplane operator such as a Flight Attendant or a guest.

Names may be catchy but as adults, we have to ask: "What's the catch? Can both Captain and co-pilot take a break at the same time?

We need to understand the difference between marketing and engineering.

When companies advertise their certified EPA fuel economy numbers, we need to ask "in what conditions? Laboratory conditions?..."

That is how adults' world operate: We are responsible to find the footnotes and we need to dig deeper than just accepting marketing propaganda.

So you want propaganda. You spout that it isn't ready and needs babysitting like you think it should work differently than planes and when I call you on it you write this trying to say you now claim the opposite.

Pick a side and stop misusing terminology.

Last edited:
Reactions: msnow
So you want propaganda. You spout that it isn't ready and needs babysitting like you think it should work differently than planes and when I call you on it you write this trying to say you claim the opposite.

Pick a side and stop misusing terminology.

I agree with you that Autopilot is not Autonomous Driving.

It is best to consider it as a conventional cruise control that you should brake as you should normally would and not waiting for it to brake for you.

That has always been my position.

Sorry that you think that I have switched my position.

People have an expectation that the radar can see what they can see.

The point of view needs to be the same to avoid misunderstanding. [Or remarkably different capabilities].

Add a radar to the mirror pod.

I have not read the thread, so this post may be redundant.

Is "Autopilot" supposed to have changed direction to avoid the truck, or to have decelerated/braked?

I am unaware of any specific feature or capability of "Autopilot," other than Summon, that causes the car to change direction in order to avoid obstacles, AFAIK, TACC does not; Autosteer does not (except w/r positioning within a lane, relative to center). Am I missing something? Are not TACC and Autosteer the only features of the Autopilot Convenience Features option relevant to this accident?

As to automatic deceleration, TACC is specified to not necessarily detect stationary objects in the car's path (Owner's Manual, p. 69). A truck moving perpendicular to the car's path is stationary relative to the car, is it not?

More generally: this accident is thought by many to be a failure of Autopilot. But I don't see exactly what feature or aspect of Autopilot is supposed to have failed.

Is "Autopilot" supposed to have changed direction to avoid the truck, or to have decelerated/braked?

Neither, it's not designed to handle cross traffic. Therefore I'd say it's behavior is "undefined".

The primary cause of the crash is a failure to yield on part of the truck driver. A secondary cause might be possible inattentiveness of the Tesla driver.

Is that the conclusion from the investigation or is it speculation?
It's still speculation that the Tesla driver was distracted. Everything else is from the FHP report.

It's actually the law that you have to yield to oncoming traffic and the truck driver saw the Tesla by his own admission.

The initial Florida Highway Patrol report says that the truck driver "failed to yield right-of-way"
The FHP diagram lists the truck as "V1" Vehicle 1 is customarily the label for the vehicle at fault. Therefore saying the truck driver was the primary cause is not really speculative because that's how it was documented by law enforcement...

Those source links do not conclude that the truck driver was at fault in any way. The final determination of the cause of the crash has not yet be determined and may take serveral weeks before its released. Initial crash reports do not determine who is at fault. We'll just have to wait and see what their investigation comes up with.

Who's at fault is all speculative at this point. Anything other than that is simply not true. It may be determined it's the truckers fault...it may be determined it's not. Time will tell.

Those source links do not conclude that the truck driver was at fault in any way. The final determination of the cause of the crash has not yet be determined and may take serveral weeks before its released. Initial crash reports do not determine who is at fault. We'll just have to wait and see what their investigation comes up with.

Who's at fault is all speculative at this point. Anything other than that is simply not true. It may be determined it's the truckers fault...it may be determined it's not. Time will tell.

Look at the box for each driver titled "Drivers Actions at Time of Crash (first)".

For trucker it is filled in "3 Failed to Yield Right of Way"

For J.Brown it is filled in "1 No Contributing Action"

Look at the box for each driver titled "Drivers Actions at Time of Crash (first)".

For trucker it is filled in "3 Failed to Yield Right of Way"

For J.Brown it is filled in "1 No Contributing Action"

That does not determine who caused the crash or who's primarily at fault.

The final report isn't out so how are you able to conclusively say who caused what?

You asked for the findings of the Florida Highway Patrol. This is the findings of the Florida Highway Patrol.

The report that's not out yet is the NHTSA investigation.

You asked for the findings of the Florida Highway Patrol. This is the findings of the Florida Highway Patrol.

The report that's not out yet is the NHTSA investigation.

I'm trying to determine what's the facts.

Is it a fact or not that the truck driver has been found to be the primary cause of the crash? Fact or not?

That's all I'm trying to find out. If it was definitively proven that he was at fault, I assume he was issued a citation or arrested or something? Yes? No?

There's lots of misinformation out there...I haven't found any credible evidence that the truck driver has been found guilty of being the primary cause of this accident. If so, great, please provide the source and I'll be up to date on that.

I'm trying to determine what's the facts.

Is it a fact or not that the truck driver has been found to be the primary cause of the crash? Fact or not?

That's all I'm trying to find out. If it was definitively proven that he was at fault, I assume he was issued a citation or arrested or something? Yes? No?

There's lots of misinformation out there...I haven't found any credible evidence that the truck driver has been found guilty of being the primary cause of this accident. If so, great, please provide the source and I'll be up to date on that.

Sounds like you've never been in an accident. If so, kudos to you!

When you have an accident report like that, where one party has a clear legal violation while the other does not, it is a clear indication by the investigating officer of who is guilty and liable.

Typically if no one dies, this just goes to insurance and personal injury lawyers if there is an alleged injury. Since there is new technology involved here (with the potential to deflect blame and provide deep pockets), we see the NHTSA get involved and everyone starts speculating. So we shall see.

Sounds like you've never been in an accident. If so, kudos to you!

When you have an accident report like that, where one party has a clear legal violation while the other does not, it is a clear indication by the investigating officer of who is guilty and liable.

Typically if no one dies, this just goes to insurance and personal injury lawyers if there is an alleged injury. Since there is new technology involved here (with the potential to deflect blame and provide deep pockets), we see the NHTSA get involved and everyone starts speculating. So we shall see.

Ok
So the investigating officer that filled out this initial report marked "failure to yield" to the truck driver. But this does not prove it's true unless determined by the courts or insurance companies...correct?

In other words, the trucker hasn't been found legally liable yet unless it's proven by a legal body?

Everything I've read (outside of tmc) says the trucker hasn't been issued a citation or arrested. Nothing. Its been almost 2 months. That leads me to believe no fault has been given to him yet. If that's true, he hasn't been found guilty of doing anything wrong yet. Which, in my mind, means he's not the primary cause of this accident..yet.