Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Faster supercharges killing AC on Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I lost my AC in April of 2023 while driving from Florida. as soon as i plugged in the car for charging it gave me error saying " Air conditioning reduced" and i drove all the way to Indiana with window open cos it wont come back. and charging slowed down along the way. by the time i reached Indiana car wont even charge cos AC was done. so i took to tesla and they said compressor died. ok i got it replaced and warranty just expired on it in January so pull price tag. fast forward to July . i plugged in again in supercharger and same error. again same AC not working. what in the world is going on i have no clue. how can a brand new compressor died in 3 months ? does that mean i will never be able to charge my car on superchargers ? i have 2018 Model X - 100 D any input is appreciated. thanks in advance

We are getting our AC looked at. As I mentioned in the road trip thread, our AC was pretty limited from Mesquite to Las Vegas a week and a half ago.

I'm taking our MX in for an AC check on Tuesday.

But the car has a hard time cooling the battery AND the cabin im these 100+ temps.

seems like the replacement parts are poor quality and workmanship is poor at best. i asked them clearly that its right spec and they have run all tests and they assured me you are good to go. 3 months later i am in same boat which is awful. even the falcon doors are having issues opening now. is the tesla degrading now?

I lost my AC in April of 2023 while driving from Florida. as soon as i plugged in the car for charging it gave me error saying " Air conditioning reduced" and i drove all the way to Indiana with window open cos it wont come back. and charging slowed down along the way. by the time i reached Indiana car wont even charge cos AC was done. so i took to tesla and they said compressor died. ok i got it replaced and warranty just expired on it in January so pull price tag. fast forward to July . i plugged in again in supercharger and same error. again same AC not working. what in the world is going on i have no clue. how can a brand new compressor died in 3 months ? does that mean i will never be able to charge my car on superchargers ? i have 2018 Model X - 100 D any input is appreciated. thanks in advance
Need more info like scanmytesla app as an example to get evap temp and compressor discharge temperatures ..you could have a blocked air inlet or a condenser fan not working

Reactions: gavine
I believe the Model X has motorized flaps in the front that are supposed to open when AC is running and close when not for better aerodynamics. Maybe the flaps are stuck shut and it's compromising the system? Should be easy to inspect DIY

does that mean i will never be able to charge my car on superchargers ?
No, the compressor failing at a Supercharger both times is likely just a coincidence, or because more cooling was requested. It likely would have failed shortly afterwards even if you never Supercharged.

how can a brand new compressor died in 3 months ?

Things fail, it just happens sometimes. Or it could be that the prior failure sent metal shrapnel through the system and Tesla didn't get it all cleaned out. Often when a compressor fails you have to replace the dryer and condenser at the same time because you can't clean out all of the shrapnel. (In the ICE world you normally wouldn't have a warranty on the new compressor unless you replaced the other components and flushed the system before installing the new compressor.)

Things fail, it just happens sometimes. Or it could be that the prior failure sent metal shrapnel through the system and Tesla didn't get it all cleaned out. Often when a compressor fails you have to replace the dryer and condenser at the same time because you can't clean out all of the shrapnel. (In the ICE world you normally wouldn't have a warranty on the new compressor unless you replaced the other components and flushed the system before installing the new compressor.)
Exactly.
Contamination kills compressors and sticks txvs. Recurring compressor failure is what happens if the system isn’t evacuated, dehydrated, and filter drier changed. That is referring to generic systems, I have never touched the Tesla AC.

Since you paid for the replacement - what was listed as replaced on the invoice? Tesla LOVES to replace entire systems on the customer's dime, when sometimes a flush of the non-moving components is just fine. That's assuming that the compressor WAS actually the issue and that they diagnosed it correctly. That you have the same failure again so soon, makes me wonder.

They should have replaced the compressor, the drier, the expansion valve, and flushed the three coils (condenser and two evap coils) plus whatever loop is in the battery would need a flush. Then vacuum the system down and recharge. It's not rocket science, but they could easily have done something wrong or just not done something well enough. That's on THEM to fix under the warranty now.