Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Family of 5: 6 Seats or 7 Seats

6 Seater or 7 Seater?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I test drove a MY over the weekend and it felt to small and cramped, my family likes the MX because of the FWD so I just want to know if y'all recommend a 6 seat or 7 seat interior. We currently have a Honda Odyssey but we rarely use the third row. Thanks

Hi everyone,

I test drove a MY over the weekend and it felt to small and cramped, my family likes the MX because of the FWD so I just want to know if y'all recommend a 6 seat or 7 seat interior. We currently have a Honda Odyssey but we rarely use the third row. Thanks

6 lets people get in the back via the center aisle. It also make the 3rd row feel less isolated from the rest of the car.
7 is better for cargo when there only 1 or two people due to the fold flat middle row.
5 is lowest cost.

we are a family of 5 and have a 6 seater. love it. the center 2nd row console allow kids to be separated and have their space.

i like telling people/family that we only have one extra seat for the lucky winner to join in on the ride. =)

We are a family of 5 as well and I would echo the preference of the 6 seat configuration. The ease of having one of the kids travel back to the third rom between the two middle seats is great! I also think the car feels a lot more spacious compared to the feeling of the 7 seat option.

I have a 6 seater - love how it looks, it’s great for the occasional time someone needs to get into the 3rd row.
But the 6 seater def cuts back on cargo space as they don’t fold flat - had to get a bike carrier for my trailer hitch as my bike would not fit in it even with the wheel off.

and I recently had to access to a Mercedes GL 300 as a rental - way more space with the seats down. My friend who I was helping move, requested I bring the MB rather than the Tesla.

Sounds like with 5 people, 6 seater is the one for you. But just know cargo space is going to be the compromise.

I faced the same dilemma recently and finally settled for 6-seater. Easy access to 3rd row, Much better looking and appealing "Captain" Seats vs. your typical boring bench were the key for me. Family of 5 as well.

BTW - I test drove 6-seater first, then Model Y, and finally 7-seater which I kept overnight. After that I was pretty much set on 6-seater!

• Helpful
Reactions: DIL and andrewdtran
Hi.

Also a family of 5 and we have had a 6-seater X for over 3.5 years. It is fantastic for family travel, and I wouldn't trade the set-up for anything else. No one complains about where they sit even on 2000m+ road trips. They complain about other things, sure, since two of them are teens and the other is a third child and oh my god does she think she is the center of the universe.

BUT! - the cargo space is indeed terrible. It's a bummer that the middle row can't fold over. So pack light on road trips.

BUT BUT! - I haul big stuff far less often than the family goes out to dinner or to visit my parents. I mean, well, like we did before Covid-19.

The second row in the six seater is really a great place to ride in a car. We have a family of 6 so the third row is in use often or would be without COVID-19.

Second row seats don’t fold down well so you can use all that interior space for a fridge or plywood with the six seater.

A small price to pay in my opinion.

Reactions: rf@tpa237
I faced the same dilemma recently and finally settled for 6-seater. Easy access to 3rd row, Much better looking and appealing "Captain" Seats vs. your typical boring bench were the key for me. Family of 5 as well.

BTW - I test drove 6-seater first, then Model Y, and finally 7-seater which I kept overnight. After that I was pretty much set on 6-seater!
I test drove a 6-seater last year, then the Model Y last week, and I'm still waiting on Tesla to have a 7-seater available for me to keep overnight.

Reactions: rf@tpa237
6 will be closer in config to your minivan. The space in the middle of the middle row seats is perfect for a cooler or a dog.

The only advantage of the 7 over the 6 is the fold flat, queen-size bed cargo area. Otherwise, for passengers, it's cramped and claustrophobic.

We have the 6 seater, family of 4 + a big dog.

If you only have 4 people in the car (2 in the front and 2 in the middle) are the 2 middle outboard seats in the 7 seat configuration (middle seat bench) as comfortable as the captains chairs in the middle row for the 6 seat configuration?

The 2 middle captains chairs don't have arm-rests in the 6 seat config. so just wondering about the comfort of the seat and the seating position in the middle for the 6 vs the 7.

Thx

Can I cast my vote for the 5-seat configuration? We're a family of five with three teenagers. The rear seats in either the 6 or 7-seat config was a non-starter for us because of legroom. With the 6-seat config, the third-row passenger would have to angle his or her legs into the middle aisle which is uncomfortable over time. With the 5-seat config, we get plenty of legroom for all 5 of us, please extra storage where the third row would have gone. My 14-yr-old son usually get the middle, but he doesn't complain because, hey, he gets to ride in the Tesla! I'm very happy with my decision.

I'm still waiting to sample a 7-seat X. I found the 5-seat 2nd row bench to be quite comfortable, especially in the reclined position. The 6-seater looked perfect to me on paper, and it does feel more airy and spacious, but it's a little uncomfortable angling my legs towards the center aisle when in the 3rd row. For a dog though, I think that open aisle is great in the 6-seater. As I understand it, the 7-seater's bench reclines just as much as the 5-seater, and the 7-seater bench can slide fore and aft to reproduce the same amount of legroom as the 5-seater. I found the bench seat more comfortable than the 6-seater captain's chairs because the monopods barely have any tilt/recline.

Personally, I would go with the 7-seater. I noticed the 5-seater's bench allows you to fold just the middle section, so that sort of creates a more open space similar to the 6-seater; I assume the 7-seater bench has the same 40/20/40 split option but I've yet to test it. The real appeal is I simply find the greater recline of the bench seat much more comfortable than the 6-seater monopod seats, especially for extended trips.

The 7 seater has full fold flat middle row. Great when you need to move larger items. But the 6-seater is more convenient for losing people on the back and offers a middle gap for legroom for taller people in the back.

I have a family of four and have owned my 6-seater for 4+ years. I'm about to replace it and will go with a 7-seater mainly because of cargo concerns. Since we're a family of four, the back row is only accessed on school sports trips, field trips, when we have extended family visiting, etc. For daily use, it's four or less people and I think the 7-seater will work best. If I had a family of five, I would probably opt for the 6-seater again, though. The back row access through the middle is a big bonus.

• Informative
Reactions: DIL