Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Door destroys paint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a fix from Tesla for this. New pinch strip and softer rubber bumper. They were replaced on mine last week when I took it in for other service. In fact, the service person noticed the paint damage and pointed out that there is a fix. They are going to get the paint repaired and then an additional plastic film will be installed over the contact areas.

• Informative
Reactions: 3s-a-charm
I have a 2017 Model X and only just now noticed this problem. I took it in today and they said they've already made a design change to the plastic trim that was causing the problem and that it was just a matter of replacing that plastic piece. Shouldn't be an issue anymore especially on the 2018 models.
Yeah, I can confirm this. Nov 2017-made car, the part that was running the paint off is not present anymore.

I'm glad Tesla finally addressed this. Does anyone have a picture of the new parts, as well as part numbers for the replacement pieces? (just so it's easier to reference when visiting the SC)
The protruding rubber hexagon (?) thingie is just missing. I don't have an access to the old car anymore for the reference on how it really looked like, but it's probably is available in some old pictures (not in this thread, though). On the new setup there's just nothing in that FWD corner.

IMG_20180501_153944.jpg IMG_20180501_154015.jpg

Not sure what you mean about hexagon thingie. It does look like they have changed the plastic hollow to better match the body. Sorry for the different perspectives but I drew a green line for reference on this new and my old image and that shows the new plastic part is more shallow closer to the top of the bumper and so a better mate for the chassis.

CA486412-31BC-4F42-907B-35153BF5EFAE.jpeg
9EBEB81E-C05E-48E7-8174-1C71542BA131.jpeg

I spent a few minutes looking at the P100D in the Tesla Burlingame showroom to see if I could spot any running changes. It was one of the newer models with the graphite interior trim. It appears that recent versions now have reshaped sheet metal above the wheel arch to accommodate the rubber bumper.

IMG_6809.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Gwgan
I got mine last week and also have issues, but not in the same way. The areas of paint rubbing seem different, but I do see some of the same lines as @Padelford in his video he linked. Car goes in for service on Tuesday, but it's definitely a potential issue. I don't know anyone else in town with an X, so I can't say for sure how common it still is.

IMG_0776.jpg

IMG_0777.jpg

I got mine last week and also have issues, but not in the same way. The areas of paint rubbing seem different, but I do see some of the same lines as @Padelford in his video he linked. Car goes in for service on Tuesday, but it's definitely a potential issue. I don't know anyone else in town with an X, so I can't say for sure how common it still is.

View attachment 322025

View attachment 322026

Same area I had rubbing was easy fix

• Informative
Reactions: TexasRat
Actually service center took mine to body shop they painted ...applied some new bumpers and now all trim is aligned ...if u recall @dethman pics ..my door looked like his and now all lined up and has the factory fix and no rubbing :oops:

Actually service center took mine to body shop they painted ...applied some new bumpers and now all trim is aligned ...if u recall @dethman pics ..my door looked like his and now all lined up and has the factory fix and no rubbing :oops:
You did that after the wrap? In an ideal world I'd do that too. I guess I can always decide to do that later and re-wrap the panel but it felt like it might be more trouble than it is worth. How long were you out of the car for?

Yes I didn’t have my guy wrap around doors I had him cut flush as over time the wrap starts to loosen as it’s not a flat surface when fully wrapped around ..learned that hard way on P85D:(
Guess I'll talk to him about that later. It's warrantied for 10 years so I guess if it starts to do that, I'll have them cut flush next time! I guess if I wait that long, then body shop can't work on it since it'll be way past warranty on the FWD issue on delivery. Wish I had known. That's a great plan to cut flush and let a body shop take care of the issues and let Tesla apply the patch/guard on that area!

Guess I'll talk to him about that later. It's warrantied for 10 years so I guess if it starts to do that, I'll have them cut flush next time! I guess if I wait that long, then body shop can't work on it since it'll be way past warranty on the FWD issue on delivery. Wish I had known. That's a great plan to cut flush and let a body shop take care of the issues and let Tesla apply the patch/guard on that area!

Your car will come out great ..wouldn’t worry too much ...my buddy had his GT3 RS full wrapped but my guy took his fenders off to do full wrap around vs a “tuck” same with the bumper it does take more time ..with a flush cut the edges get sealed with ceramic so no dirt gets in ..make sure and post the before and after pics !!:cool:

Your car will come out great ..wouldn’t worry too much ...my buddy had his GT3 RS full wrapped but my guy took his fenders off to do full wrap around vs a “tuck” same with the bumper it does take more time ..with a flush cut the edges get sealed with ceramic so no dirt gets in ..make sure and post the before and after pics !!:cool:
I didn't take too many before pics :eek::eek::eek::eek: Maybe one full one?
I'll take after pics :D