Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Factory OEM SiriusXM nearly working in Tesla 2022 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had assumed you could just use Wireshark to sniff packets as it uses UDP for the gateway based on this source. Maybe it changed with the newer models? The fact it uses an automotive protocol over ethernet is surprising.
It should be 1gig single pair Ethernet aka 1000 based broad r, the tuner has it's own IP address on the network in the car, just like the MCU and autopilot module. I've only ever seen a2b on the amplifier connection for the stereo for example. I'll look here at the latest service diagram and see for sure, but I believe only really old model s and x tuner used a2b. The tuner I put in my model 3 from an x was definitely broad r based. Just make sure if you try to wire shark it you use a 1000 adapter not a 100 as I accidentally did the first time. Also the car is super picky about the adapter brand and chipset you use. The tuner gets a constant ping from the MCU and then it responds with what I assume are capabilities. I believe the issue with Ryzen units is that the audio codec it uses for Sirius is different than fm, and something in the Ryzen software isn't able to handle that, either on the dac analog conversion side or theirs a flag for model s and x that changes the way it processes the audio. On Ryzen units I've seen it actually shows up in the menu and works without audio, suggesting it's just an audio switching issue and it fails back to playing fm. Both the fm and Sirius are always present and being sent to the MCU at the same time. That's how it knows the station list of currently available staying even when you were previously on Sirius just before. The Harmon tuner in the model 3 is always background scanning and sending data regardless. I had borrowed a friends Ryzen based car at one point and I saw in Wireshark it looks like it requests the Sirius audio for a certain channel, tuner starts sending it, then the MCU fails to open the stream, glitches out and goes back to fm. Its all in a weird non encrypted binary format it send the commands. Something interesting is the official wiring shows a tuner called sdars aka the frequency band for satellite radio in the wiring and that it's optional equipment that may not make the final build. This is only for the Intel atom cars though, the Ryzen based ones don't show that in the wiring schematics, suggesting they originally planned on having Sirius in the early model 3s.

It should be 1gig single pair Ethernet aka 1000 based broad r, the tuner has it's own IP address on the network in the car, just like the MCU and autopilot module. I've only ever seen a2b on the amplifier connection for the stereo for example. I'll look here at the latest service diagram and see for sure, but I believe only really old model s and x tuner used a2b. The tuner I put in my model 3 from an x was definitely broad r based. Just make sure if you try to wire shark it you use a 1000 adapter not a 100 as I accidentally did the first time. Also the car is super picky about the adapter brand and chipset you use. The tuner gets a constant ping from the MCU and then it responds with what I assume are capabilities. I believe the issue with Ryzen units is that the audio codec it uses for Sirius is different than fm, and something in the Ryzen software isn't able to handle that, either on the dac analog conversion side or theirs a flag for model s and x that changes the way it processes the audio. On Ryzen units I've seen it actually shows up in the menu and works without audio, suggesting it's just an audio switching issue and it fails back to playing fm. Both the fm and Sirius are always present and being sent to the MCU at the same time. That's how it knows the station list of currently available staying even when you were previously on Sirius just before. The Harmon tuner in the model 3 is always background scanning and sending data regardless. I had borrowed a friends Ryzen based car at one point and I saw in Wireshark it looks like it requests the Sirius audio for a certain channel, tuner starts sending it, then the MCU fails to open the stream, glitches out and goes back to fm. Its all in a weird non encrypted binary format it send the commands. Something interesting is the official wiring shows a tuner called sdars aka the frequency band for satellite radio in the wiring and that it's optional equipment that may not make the final build. This is only for the Intel atom cars though, the Ryzen based ones don't show that in the wiring schematics, suggesting they originally planned on having Sirius in the early model 3s.

don't the new S and X both have ryzen processors and SXM available, though? that would seem to indicate that the ryzen *should* at least be able to handle it...

Reactions: Krash
don't the new S and X both have ryzen processors and SXM available, though? that would seem to indicate that the ryzen *should* at least be able to handle it...
Yeah they do, but I believe the speakers and audio configuration are different than the 3 and y. They also maybe have made the Intel one just detect the tuner and change config because it was originally in the design plans, but then they never went ahead with it. I know theirs different models of Ryzen too, so it would be interesting to see if maybe certain 3s with premium audio vs not can get it.

Yeah they do, but I believe the speakers and audio configuration are different than the 3 and y. They also maybe have made the Intel one just detect the tuner and change config because it was originally in the design plans, but then they never went ahead with it. I know theirs different models of Ryzen too, so it would be interesting to see if maybe certain 3s with premium audio vs not can get it.

yeah, but that would have been the case for the intel models too (the speakers and audio configuration being different for the 3/Y vs S/X).

as for there being different models of ryzen, i didn't know that...but i'm pretty sure we've had people with both premium connectivity vs standard test it and neither one got it working.

yeah, but that would have been the case for the intel models too (the speakers and audio configuration being different for the 3/Y vs S/X).

as for there being different models of ryzen, i didn't know that...but i'm pretty sure we've had people with both premium connectivity vs standard test it and neither one got it working.
I'm thinking it's a software lockout that's only in Ryzen based units. I'd have to look at the gateway options in a Ryzen unit to know for sure if theirs more flags for audio then in Intel. The amp wiring is slightly different in the service diagrams between the two generations, what's not clear is how they make it work for the x and s. The only difference between the different Ryzen units appears to be the GPU and ram, not sure if that actually makes a difference, but it's interesting to note only the more powerful ones can do zoom meetings etc. I don't believe any of the y or 3s have the one with the more ram and GPU.

Reactions: crackers8199
I'm thinking it's a software lockout that's only in Ryzen based units. I'd have to look at the gateway options in a Ryzen unit to know for sure if theirs more flags for audio then in Intel. The amp wiring is slightly different in the service diagrams between the two generations, what's not clear is how they make it work for the x and s. The only difference between the different Ryzen units appears to be the GPU and ram, not sure if that actually makes a difference, but it's interesting to note only the more powerful ones can do zoom meetings etc. I don't believe any of the y or 3s have the one with the more ram and GPU.

slightly OT: can only the ryzen 3 and Y do zoom meetings? i don't have that option in my 3 and have always wondered what the requirements were...

@crackers8199, @ph0ton - amazing work on this. I stumbled across this thread looking for some ideas regarding an issue I'm having with my Onyx setup and found this. I read all 29 pages like a book. It was like reading a book actually, going through all the different range of emotions! Great work. I'm empathetic to your plight.

I was thinking about the audio clipping problem some last night and am throwing an idea out there. Have you taken the x tuner back apart to inspect the electronics in it since install? Using too much thermal paste on electronic casing isn't usually a good thing...sometimes less is more. It could be that some of the electronics in the tuner are either overheating or maybe performing poorly due to poor thermal conduction.

@crackers8199, @ph0ton - amazing work on this. I stumbled across this thread looking for some ideas regarding an issue I'm having with my Onyx setup and found this. I read all 29 pages like a book. It was like reading a book actually, going through all the different range of emotions! Great work. I'm empathetic to your plight.

I was thinking about the audio clipping problem some last night and am throwing an idea out there. Have you taken the x tuner back apart to inspect the electronics in it since install? Using too much thermal paste on electronic casing isn't usually a good thing...sometimes less is more. It could be that some of the electronics in the tuner are either overheating or maybe performing poorly due to poor thermal conduction.

i actually thought about looking for other causes, but it seems from the X and S forums that this is a known issue. all models have it, not just us with the board-swapped X/S tuner.

Reactions: ph0ton
finally finished my full blog post about how to do this. i'm still working on creating a youtube video, but i figured the post itself is good enough for now if anyone wants instructions without having to read all 29 pages of this thread.

if anyone sees anything i missed there, please let me know and i'll add it.

added the two tuner model numbers to my blog post that we know people have used and gotten working (thanks @Jiver for the catch).

1143716-00-C (old model x tuner)
1622932-00-B (plaid tuner)

if anyone has gotten this working with a different model number let me know and i'll add it. i'll also add a complete parts list at the top.

Reactions: Jiver and ArtK
finally finished my full blog post about how to do this. i'm still working on creating a youtube video, but i figured the post itself is good enough for now if anyone wants instructions without having to read all 29 pages of this thread.

if anyone sees anything i missed there, please let me know and i'll add it.
Thank you for this!!

Reactions: crackers8199
Something you may want to look into doing is picking up a small OEM SiriusXM antenna from a vehicle brand that it comes stock with. I'm going to use something like this below on my new to me 2021. These never leak from what I can tell and have used the same style of gasket pretty much forever. It does require drilling a hole into the trunk to pass the base and securement through but will look like it was meant to be there once completed. The antenna really needs to be pointed as straight up as possible and putting it on the middle of the trunk will help with dropouts caused by shadowing from trucks, etc.

1683937418840.png

Something you may want to look into doing is picking up a small OEM SiriusXM antenna from a vehicle brand that it comes stock with. I'm going to use something like this below on my new to me 2021. These never leak from what I can tell and have used the same style of gasket pretty much forever. It does require drilling a hole into the trunk to pass the base and securement through but will look like it was meant to be there once completed. The antenna really needs to be pointed as straight up as possible and putting it on the middle of the trunk will help with dropouts caused by shadowing from trucks, etc.

View attachment 937189

if you want to do that, sure, but it works just fine where i have it opposite the charge port. there are dropouts where you'd expect (under trees / overpasses/canyons/etc), but for the most part it's solid. i tested it on the roof too with VHB before i ended up putting it where i have it now, and it wasn't much better if at all than on the side.

it's good enough that i wouldn't even consider drilling a hole in the trunk to place an antenna. i'd at least try it this way first before you go drilling holes you can't put back once you're done...

Reactions: ph0ton and ArtK
Putting antennas on a vehicle whether it be HF or something else in common enough in most of the country that I wouldn't think twice about it.

It's worth keeping in mind that areas on the east coast suffer from more signal interruptions due to the position of the satellites. I've been adding satellite radio to vehicles for years and seen more than a few issues with antenna pointed too far North or East depending on vehicle travel direction.

Putting antennas on a vehicle whether it be HF or something else in common enough in most of the country that I wouldn't think twice about it.

It's worth keeping in mind that areas on the east coast suffer from more signal interruptions due to the position of the satellites. I've been adding satellite radio to vehicles for years and seen more than a few issues with antenna pointed too far North or East depending on vehicle travel direction.

i never said putting antennas on a vehicle is an uncommon thing, so i'm not sure where that is coming from...i'm just saying that if you drill a hole in the car, you are by definition doing something irreversible. putting it where i have it is completely reversible if you decide you want to remove the antenna later.

i'm also saying that i tested this with the antenna both where i have it now and on the center of the glass roof via 3m tape, and there was no difference that i could tell in signal quality / reception in either location...so i'm not sure how putting it on the trunk is going to be any better. you're of course free to do it however you want on your own car, i'm just saying you might want to try it the reversible way first before drilling holes in the metal. that's all.

Reactions: ph0ton and ArtK
just finished a 6 week road trip across both the southwest and northwest. there were vast stretches of north dakota, montana, and wyoming where both i and the car had no service.

i hope all the "just stream it from your phone" folks enjoy silence during those drives. i myself enjoyed listening to whatever i wanted, including live sports, via the installed SXM with satellite antenna.

just finished a 6 week road trip across both the southwest and northwest. there were vast stretches of north dakota, montana, and wyoming where both i and the car had no service.

i hope all the "just stream it from your phone" folks enjoy silence during those drives. i myself enjoyed listening to whatever i wanted, including live sports, via the installed SXM with satellite antenna.
Part of my motivations in installing SXM was after driving out west and losing service for many hours at a time. Sometimes where you want to go doesn't have cell phone towers.

It's the reason I won't buy a vehicle without SiriusXM, or built in Nav/GPS. I'm not willing to give up that functionality. Maybe one day StarLink will be a substitute. But today for the low cost, it's just silly not to have the SiriusXM hardware in any modern car.