Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory OEM SiriusXM nearly working in Tesla 2022 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
anyone who has done the swap already: what is the tab on the bottom of the model 3 tuner for? I'm looking at picking up a used one to do the housing swap on, and all of them have a tab on the bottom (in addition to the side tabs that actually bolt into the car)...but they're all in various states of either being straight up and down, or slightly bent / curved. trying to figure out which one is the best one to buy to use as my mounting bracket...

which tab? the one below the fakra plug?

this one...
Screenshot_20220815-131420_eBay.jpg

@ph0ton @PhilCaps @stutech how the hell do i get the ethernet end disconnected? i can't get the wiring harness to come free to even test the new radio...
Yeah, that's another part I mangled. If you get a thin flathead screwdriver, there is a small latch on the bottom (facing the floor) side of the plug. Push it in, and pull it out. There is like 3mm visibile from the outside since the female side is inset so you'll have to angle the screwdriver. I don't remember there being a latch on the opposite side but check it for good measure.

By the way, over on the headlight side of things we made some progress on the gateway change. I don't know the raw config setting for the sirius antenna (for the 2022 models) but maybe with a little research we can make some progress there as well.

Reactions: crackers8199
Yeah, that's another part I mangled. If you get a thin flathead screwdriver, there is a small latch on the bottom (facing the floor) side of the plug. Push it in, and pull it out. There is like 3mm visibile from the outside since the female side is inset so you'll have to angle the screwdriver. I don't remember there being a latch on the opposite side but check it for good measure.

By the way, over on the headlight side of things we made some progress on the gateway change. I don't know the raw config setting for the sirius antenna (for the 2022 models) but maybe with a little research we can make some progress there as well.

yup, I figured it out. took like 15 pics from a bunch of angles til I saw that.

the radio works...it came right up. didn't have to reboot or anything. i can hear the preview channel and I can see all the channels on the display - but I can't get it activated. I replaced the radio on my account and have sent the refresh signal from both my account online and the radio subscription page about 10 times, and it won't play anything but the preview channel.

edit: nvm, it works. had to do a scroll wheel reboot, but now I've got all channels. now that I know the tuner works, I can do the housing swap once my spare model 3 radio comes in.

one thing I did notice that concerned me a bit was something I think we kinda knew: on the reboot, it wouldn't let me play anything until LTE came up. it makes me wonder if this is going to work in an area without cell service, which is kinda the whole point...

Last edited:
yup, I figured it out. took like 15 pics from a bunch of angles til I saw that.

the radio works...it came right up. didn't have to reboot or anything. i can hear the preview channel and I can see all the channels on the display - but I can't get it activated. I replaced the radio on my account and have sent the refresh signal from both my account online and the radio subscription page about 10 times, and it won't play anything but the preview channel.

edit: nvm, it works. had to do a scroll wheel reboot, but now I've got all channels. now that I know the tuner works, I can do the housing swap once my spare model 3 radio comes in.

one thing I did notice that concerned me a bit was something I think we kinda knew: on the reboot, it wouldn't let me play anything until LTE came up. it makes me wonder if this is going to work in an area without cell service, which is kinda the whole point...
Did you get yours off eBay? I found one there but the guy wants nearly $400 for a used one.

just got a notification that my spare model 3 tuner is out for delivery a day early! I can do the housing swap tonight!

what's the easiest way to crack them both open? and how much thermal paste do I need to put on the uncovered chips? I'm going to run to best buy to grab a tube to make sure I have enough...

also, how are you guys getting the antenna from the middle of the deck over to the tuner?

I'm going to take video of all of this and document it so that anyone else who wants to go down this road has a clear guide on how to make it happen.

(moderator note)

I can confirm that, affirmed by the site owners of TMC, they definitely support this type of ingenuity, and owners discussing how to install things in their cars, etc. The car owners that are working on this in this thread (and perhaps other discussions) are aware that they could simply "stream it from the phone" but are choosing to go down a different route for their own reasons.

we would like to keep this thread available for them to continue their exploration of trying to get native support, etc, and away from discussions of why they want to do that.

Thanks

a few odd things i've noticed about the interface (not sure if this is the same way on the X and S, but it was strange enough that i noticed)...

* you have to be on a channel for at least 30 seconds for it to show up in the recents list.

* i can't figure out a way to get it to stay on the favorites list - if you tap on a favorite, it automatically changes to that channel and the "related content" page. i'd rather have it stay on the favorites list so i can easily pick from that list instead, but haven't found a way to do that yet.

* if you add a certain number of favorites in a driving session, using the scroll wheel will cycle through those instead of going one channel at a time. this seems to reset when the car sleeps - last night, i set up all my favorites and it was cycling through them instead of advancing one channel at a time in order. today, it was back to going one channel at a time, until i added four new favorites...after i did that, the scroll wheel started cycling through just those four new favorites. i haven't yet tested to figure out what exact number of favorites this is (at which point it'll start cycling through those only), but my guess is that it's three. i know it's more than two, but four definitely does it...so it's either three or four.

* favorites don't seem to show up on the "recents and favorites" list. recent channels do (as mentioned above, only if you stay on a channel for 30 seconds or longer), but favorites don't. favorites do show up in the SXM favorites screen, just not on the "recents and favorites" list that shows up when you have the radio app in half-screen. <-- this one might actually be due to the model 3 not expecting the SXM favorites to be there since it doesn't expect the SXM app to be available, it would be great if an S or X owner that has SXM can confirm this for us.

i wish there was a way to only get it to cycle through favorites with the scroll wheel. i'll keep playing with it to see if i can figure anything out, but definitely feel free to chime in if you notice anything else.

Last edited:
Reactions: ph0ton