Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Facelift CPO (not Performance) vs. Performance CPO (no facelift)

Facelift CPO (not Performance) vs. Performance CPO (no facelift)

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Keep in mind there is absolutely no difference in the handling, ride and braking of a P car and a non P car. I see someone mentioned a handling/braking difference which isn’t correct. They use the same identical suspension and brakes, the only difference is the red paint on the same Brembo calipers. The optional low profile tires and 21" wheels make a big visual difference but do hurt the ride quality a bit and are more easily damaged. We luckily have never damaged any of our 21’s or 22’s on Floridas nice roads. The + was an option on some P cars but was discontinued due to lack of popularity due to a harsher ride but is still popular with a number of current vocal owners who will chime in on this. No Tesla can handle like a true sports car and they cant because of their weight vs tire size/contact patch. If you want really quick acceleration buy any S, if you want really crazy quick acceleration buy a P but it still boils down to a choice of the all the changes made during the upgrade to the refresh car vs the much cheaper pre-refresh cars. Probably the best buy is the 2016 pre refresh if you want to save money as they are available much cheaper than a car built only days later as a refresh. Although all the internal parts upgrades happened at the refresh not before.

Last edited:
Since you care about value, it boils down to whether the car can get upgraded/updated as you go down the road which is AutoPilot.

Whether you purchase a P(no face-lift) or a face lifted S, if it is AP1, you are going to lose value in the long run. Come 2019 summer and you will have a lot of lease returns with the refreshed nose cone ones and then AP2 Model S which will make it that much harder for the AP1's to get sold.

As mentioned, if the above are your only choices and both have AP1, get the P. You can find an aftermarket bumper that make it look close to the new nose cone one.

$0.02
Really good rational thinking thank you

Well..........I just sold my 2017 Refresh 75D......for a pre-refresh 2016 P90D. I actually love the look of both....but the performance is what had me sold along with the price.

My Tesla store noted that the pre-refresh P85D/P90D have continued to be strong sellers...even after the new refresh design. Specifically because of their current price point and crazy performance they provide. For those that say the P85d/P90d is only faster than non-P cars off the line.....check out "dragtimes" channel on YouTube. Brooks races a P85 (ok..it's a P car but with somewhat similar performance to a 90D) vs P85d. They race from a stop and a ROLL....and the P85D crushes it both times. This puts to bed some viewpoints that the P cars are only faster off the line. The Video is proof.

Glad I made the change.

Reactions: MC408
Cannot suggest CPO P85 over the non-CPO 85 highly enough. I picked up my P85 used with warranty. No sooner than a month into my ownership did the P85 start developing a clunking noise in the rear motor. Tesla serviced it with anti-seize but they also let me know that if the noise continues or comes back then they'll have to replace the entire rear motor. That's an expensive proposition without a warranty.

For the autopilot fanboys that claim that AP will result in higher resale values, I would say those claims are exaggerated. Yes, you'll have slightly higher resale on autopilot 2.0+ vs a 1.0 or no AP, but there are so many other factors that could go into resale. Buy the car you'd enjoy now. I've driven AP1, AP2, and AP 2.5. If you were to ask me which provides the smoothest AP experience, I'd say it was AP1. Don't worry about what the next owner will want, especially on a used car where the original owner already took the big chunk out of the depreciation. As far as Supercharger 3.0, that's only relevant if you drive a lot and away from your original destination.

I had a standard 85 while Tesla was working on my P85, and I really missed the extra oomf from the P85. You'll have a much better driving experience with the P85 and peace of mind with the CPO.

Cannot suggest CPO P85 over the non-CPO 85 highly enough. I picked up my P85 used with warranty. No sooner than a month into my ownership did the P85 start developing a clunking noise in the rear motor. Tesla serviced it with anti-seize but they also let me know that if the noise continues or comes back then they'll have to replace the entire rear motor. That's an expensive proposition without a warranty.
Battery and motors are covered for eight years on all of those cars, CPO or not, and with no mileage limit.

For those that say the P85d/P90d is only faster than non-P cars off the line.....check out "dragtimes" channel on YouTube. Brooks races a P85 (ok..it's a P car but with somewhat similar performance to a 90D) vs P85d. They race from a stop and a ROLL....and the P85D crushes it both times. This puts to bed some viewpoints that the P cars are only faster off the line. The Video is proof.
The biggest difference is in the launch....when the battery is preheated 30 min., if you are drag racing in L.
P**D cars are still faster but "most of the difference is off the line" Post a link to the video you are talking about because in my experience a P100DL (in Ludi) only walks away (not very quickly though) during a rolling 30 mph start over a 90D (in Sport mode). If you didn’t have the other car next to you to compare to the difference isn’t really perceptible. The difference is much, much more dramatic in launch mode though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xolt
Yes but can you turn :D
Heck of a sig line and yes for sure we're all slow and everything must feel slow to you..

Hahahaha! Being serious here - no, I cannot turn. I did turn once and it ended in a fireball. And unfortunately, adrenaline is like any other drug. You get acclimated, and no - nothing on the street feels fast to me. But passenger reaction their first Ludicrous launch still makes me smile. :D

And here's some trivia for you: With two chutes out we could hit -5 G's slowing down. If guys didn't have their harnesses sufficiently tight, I've seen bruises like you'd expect in a traffic accident from seat belts.

Reactions: MC408
Basically the p85d's are priced close to facelift 75 (d or not). Both AP1. So that is the decision.

Get the P85D and you won’t regret it. If you care about performance (handling), look for one that was mfg pre April 2015 and has the + suspension. If you care that much about the nosecone and look, get the aftermarket refresh.

Get the 75 and you may have performance envy and range envy and could possibly regret your purchase. You can’t upgrade these features after the fact like the nosecone.

Back to your original question, which we strayed off from, nobody knows for sure the residual value of each, but as I mentioned, it will be supply and demand. So if you can research how many 75s were sold and how many P85Ds were sold in that time period,
It may help.

I also think P85Ds are from the era of highest quality control because volumes and pressure to produce were still pretty low, yet the initial bugs of 2012-2014 were worked out. I think pressure to build 10,000 cars a week has wreaked havoc on newer cars. Not saying newer is bad, just saying 2015 seems to be a sweet spot. People will be hunting down P85Ds for a long time in my opinion.

(Back on track - my bad).

Reactions: spy4007 and MC408
The biggest difference is in the launch....when the battery is preheated 30 min., if you are drag racing in L.
P**D cars are still faster but "most of the difference is off the line" Post a link to the video you are talking about because in my experience a P100DL (in Ludi) only walks away (not very quickly though) during a rolling 30 mph start over a 90D (in Sport mode). If you didn’t have the other car next to you to compare to the difference isn’t really perceptible. The difference is much, much more dramatic in launch mode though.

VERY perceptible.............

VERY perceptible.............
That was my point, in the roll race the difference is not very much at all, just walking away and in the seat that is not a perceptible difference, if the other car wasn’t there it would be almost impossible to tell any difference. The launch is the big difference as shown in these videos. When you nail it that’s perceptible.

Reactions: Xolt
That was my point, in the roll race the difference is not very much at all, just walking away and in the seat that is not a perceptible difference, if the other car wasn’t there it would be almost impossible to tell any difference. The launch is the big difference as shown in these videos. When you nail it that’s perceptible.

I have a P85D and I drove a 75D loaner. To me the increase in speed is noticeable not only at launch but also freeway passing speeds. Maybe it was in my head because I knew I didn’t have the same power, but either way, it made me glad I had the P85D and not the other way around.

I imagine if the OP buys a 75D and gets a P85D or P90D loaner, he will have car envy and wish he bought the “Performance” model.