Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Extreme battery loss on Model 3 (˜10% per day) since 2023.20.4.1. Contacted service and told this is normal (more info below)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, same problem here. Started with 2023.20.4.1, I’m now on 2023.20.9 (having gone through a bunch of minor revisions).

I had the autopilot fail with the 4.1 but that was fixed with .7 followed by a service where they did the low voltage disconnect.

I’ve tried a bunch of things to try to isolate the issue and have a “hack” to get it to sleep.

I noticed that after each firmware update, it would sleep, until my first drive, then it failed again.

So, my hack is after each drive, go into service mode and do a software reinstall.

Sleep works on a fresh software install. So only way to stop it wasting battery is to (after a drive), do that.

It’s a hot garbage thing, but it does work. Techs have acknowledged it as an issue.

Otherwise, it costs about 7kw of energy a day. Which is *sugar*.

Reactions: kevin_camera
I had the autopilot fail with the 4.1 but that was fixed with .7 followed by a service where they did the low voltage disconnect.
2023.20.4.1 is where it went all wrong for me too.

Autopilot, cruise, park assist all fail after about 3-4 days of the car not sleeping. I don’t think .7 fixed this, there’s just been a lot of updates recently and your hack to sleep the car means it’s not been awake all that long.

So, my hack is after each drive, go into service mode and do a software reinstall.

That’s incredible 😂 Good idea, think I’ll use this if I know I won’t be driving the car for a couple days.

Sleep works on a fresh software install. So only way to stop it wasting battery is to (after a drive), do that.
That is a good idea. I suspect this is going to be a long wait for a software fix so maybe I'll need to do that when I'm parked overnight for a trip to prevent battery from draining.

It’s a hot garbage thing, but it does work. Techs have acknowledged it as an issue.
The techs acknowledged that it's an issue for you? That's amazing! Most of us have been getting the "it's normal because it's too hot/cold" at the service centers. Hopefully that implies software fix to be coming soon. All that energy wasted for the last month because Tesla didn't do enough QA...

That is a good idea. I suspect this is going to be a long wait for a software fix so maybe I'll need to do that when I'm parked overnight for a trip to prevent battery from draining.

The techs acknowledged that it's an issue for you? That's amazing! Most of us have been getting the "it's normal because it's too hot/cold" at the service centers. Hopefully that implies software fix to be coming soon. All that energy wasted for the last month because Tesla didn't do enough QA...
To be *somewhat* fair, It probably takes a fair amount of people reporting a particular issue before the company will consider it statistically significant enough to acknowledge and then dedicate resources to fix. Otherwise, they'd be bogged down chasing every squeak, vibration, and perceived fault people brought up.

The issue I have is that they obviously don't do enough beta testing before they release updates considering how many bugs pop up, and how many updates it takes to eventually fix those bugs. To wit: The Great Thumbdrive Conundrum that took months and months to fix when they first introduced dash cam functionality. This issue seems to be shaping up the same way.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Because they firmware update several hardware modules when they do that, and some of those hardware modules may not support downgrading. If you can find someone saying they did this without root, I would be interested to see that post / thread.

I believe Recell, but perhaps WK057, have mentioned it whilst discussing battery module swaps. One has done it (memory), on I think on the roadster. Not something I tried to file away, but I too believe it’s been done by somebody. Does that mean anything in this context? Nope

Re idea - yeah, better than wasting the electricity I guess.

One other thing for you all getting this drain - I noticed that the air temperature in the cabin is always 3-4 degrees Celsius higher than outside during the issue. I don’t know whether it’s because the heater is going, or because the heat off the computer (or whatever is consuming that energy). Can anyone else confirm?

Attachments

• IMG_2790.jpeg
    IMG_2790.jpeg
    63.2 KB · Views: 135
Hi all, same problem here M3 LR 2023 LFP & Ryzen. It started with 2023.20.4.1, I’m now on 2023.20.9. I'm booked in for a service next Thursday and they have listed the Restraint Control Module as up for a change. Hopefully this resolves the issue!

Reactions: evermore
I also scheduled a service, this time they were willing to look at it and asked me to send screenshots instead of telling me that's normal and closing my request. Hopefully this is trending to the right direction!

Sounds like it's only affecting LFP & Ryzen? Seems like only relatively new owners on model 3 having this problem....

I also scheduled a service, this time they were willing to look at it and asked me to send screenshots instead of telling me that's normal and closing my request. Hopefully this is trending to the right direction!

Sounds like it's only affecting LFP & Ryzen? Seems like only relatively new owners on model 3 having this problem....
I know how to see if you have an LFP battery. Is there a way to tell if you have a Ryzen?

I have the same problem with my 2023 MYLR, so it's not just LFP.

Here is a list of threads I have found so far that are about this issue:

And these are resurrected old threads, only the last posts are about this problem:

2020 MY - Vehicle Standby Battery Drain

Reactions: TechSavySD
Did you suggest the RCM replacement when you scheduled service, or did they volunteer that?
I sent them to this thread and suggested that it could be the RCM. I also said that the car needed to be driven to confirm that the issue was fixed (i.e. not just a software reinstall). They came back with the RCM listed on the work order. Who knows, maybe they even read this thread! ;)

I sent them to this thread and suggested that it could be the RCM. I also said that the car needed to be driven to confirm that the issue was fixed (i.e. not just a software reinstall). They came back with the RCM listed on the work order. Who knows, maybe they even read this thread! ;)

Well, fingers crossed that fixes it. I’ll be forwarding to my tech if it does. When’s the service?

And these are resurrected old threads, only the last posts are about this problem:

Add me to that list.

Great that you have been cross-linking threads on this subject. This thread seems to be the most advanced as far as proving the existence of phantom battery drain is not related to any "user error". In all the other threads people trying to help by asking, "have you tried this, or that?".

So this problem seems to be common with new car deliveries running a 2023.20.4.1 or later version of software. I would think that newly delivered cars would have the latest version of the Restraint Control Module (RCM). I am not sure why replacing the module (I assume it contains an autonomous microcontroller) would fix a problem that appears coincident with a particular software release installation, unless electrical damage has occurred to the module as a result of faulty software signaling. Has anyone reported for sure a permanent resolution of the phantom battery drain after having had the RCM replaced? I suppose the new RCM parts could have a more recent version of flashed firmware. This just looks like a classic scenario of a slave module repeatedly and improperly waking up the master processor, but I have no sense at all for the Tesla system design.

As for me, I have not experienced the battery drain problem on my new 2023 M3LR, and I will assume that is only because I am still running the factory production release 2023.12.300.1. I have been holding off on installing 2023.20.8 or 2023.20.9 (both are available to me). I do not wish to introduce a known problem which currently does not have a proven fix. It would be a good controlled experiment to install one of these releases and document the sudden appearance of battery drain, but I just don't want to be a guinea pig until Tesla SC have a grasp of exactly what is causing the problem.

I still have not seen any posts documenting a phantom battery drain issue that appeared after switching from a 2023.12.x production release directly to a 2023.20.8 or 20.9 update, without going through the 2023.20.4.1 update. I would like to know. I would start a new thread to find out but won't until I am personally affected by the battery drain issue.

It’s so frustrating. I can only suggest you screen grab your Tesla app screen with the % charge at night. Don’t access the app then screen shot again in the morning. Send this attached along with your service request explaining what u did. Also take a screen grab of the Tesla guidance online that says over 24hrs the battery will lose 1% of charge.
I am curious how you do a "screen grab" of the Tesla display, other than taking a photo of the display with your smart phone. Does this store a .jpg image of the screen to the USB drive?

I meant the phone app with % charge top corner. Issue looks like LFP only so RWD cars. We have 1 fix with new RCM online but that’s it I think. 2 cars going into service this week for same solution so let’s see if it works.

I meant the phone app with % charge top corner. Issue looks like LFP only so RWD cars. We have 1 fix with new RCM online but that’s it I think. 2 cars going into service this week for same solution so let’s see if it works.
OK, phone app - got it. What leads you to say LFP battery cars only affected? I missed that connection. This thread contains the same complaint for Model Y. Is the MY-SR also LFP battery? All 2023 MY are dual motor, AWD regardless of the range - I see some people still refer to MY standard range as RWD. I know my M3LR is some secret NCA battery (rumored to be new LG) and made in Fremont.

I see people trying to make every sort of connection from type of processor, to battery, to HW3 vs HW4 (currently only a MY distinction). The original poster for this thread TheWEB100 I believe is Canadian, and I thought Canadian M3 were shipped from Shanghai. Manufacture origin could be a factor.

It would be nice to have a table or chart to summarize all that have posted this issue. It would be useful to see model trim, model year, delivery date, software version prior to appearance of the drain issue, battery type, processor, HW version, and manufacture location (from VIN) so as to narrow this down, because Tesla SC sure isn't going to provide this.