Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Experience with Clipper Creek portable charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And if you did what I think you did, you're not using an adapter to charge your Roadster!

You are correct.

I pulled the Roadster cable/connector from the dead UMC and am using it with the OpenEVSE. I also reused the 14-50 plug from the dead UMC.

I did buy 25' of 8/3 cable for the AC input which is why I now have about 40' of usable length. I did forget this in the cost quoted above, however, so my total cost was $325, not $275.

I want to recognize Henry here, as he was gracious enough to help me decide which route to take to replace the dead UMC (even though it didn't involve using one of his adapters). Thanks again!

Just a few notes now my HCS-40P has arrived....

The plug cable on the Clipper Creek unit is only 12 inches long. This makes it difficult to use as a portable unit unless you also carry an extension cord. My 14-50 outlets are all 4' above the floor but the Clipper Creek EVSE plug is on the bottom of the unit so for now the unit is mounted 6' up the wall with the cable stored lower down on a hose hanger. The unit looks robust without being too heavy and there's not much more to say than just "plug it in". I'm feeling like I'm going to be quite happy with it.

Interestingly (but not totally surprising) the standard range on my Roadster has been increasing almost daily as I've been using the yellow 120V cable and charging at 12A for the past week. Range is now just shy of the original, 3.5 years ago! :)

I've mostly used an RFMC plugged in to a 14-50 for my Roadster. However, I realized it would be nice to get an EVSE if for no other reason than to have a backup; plus trips are easier if the RFMC is only for travel. Plus my utility is offering a rebate for EVSE purchases. Stories like Nigel's (plus mine when I tried buying a UMC back in 2010) have me wary of getting a UMC. I looked around a few months ago and had decided to wait for Clipper Creek to release an HCS-50P. I have always liked Clipper Creek; made in the US and seemingly bulletproof.

But then the 30% tax credit for installing an EVSE in 2014 came along, and still no word on the HCS-50P, so I decided an HCS-40P is good enough. Heck, I had used 120V for over a year, so 240V 32A will definitely work. I ordered one on Friday night, they shipped it on Monday, and I got it on Tuesday.

As Nigel notes, the 14-50 plug is awfully short. The conduit for my 14-50 comes down a wall stud, and the cord is too short to allow mounting on the next stud, so I had to get some toggle bolts to mount it on drywall. But that wasn't a bad job, and it seems to work great with the Tesla J1772 connector (which I will just leave attached to the end of the HCS-40P; I don't drag it along with me except on special occassions).