Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Existing SunRun 2.8kWh system, want to add more from Tesla and add Powerwalls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh this is interesting. You're saying I can use the batteries and additional Tesla solar to draw more.amps than the 125A PG&E without updating my main service panel? If so, that would be exactly what I'm looking for. As for adding to the SunRun, TBD whether Tesla or anyone would agree to add to it. Trying to find out.
I believe there is a valid configuration where the main service panel is feeding a gateway 2 at less than 200A and the gateway 2 is feeding load center a 200A. I don't recall who posted about this, possibly @miimura, @Vines or someone whose name is escaping me at the moment.

I would think Tesla would have no problem adding a completely independent solar system to a house that already has one, they've certainly done it before but they do change policies on a regular basis.

I believe there is a valid configuration where the main service panel is feeding a gateway 2 at less than 200A and the gateway 2 is feeding load center a 200A. I don't recall who posted about this, possibly @miimura, @Vines or someone whose name is escaping me at the moment.

I would think Tesla would have no problem adding a completely independent solar system to a house that already has one, they've certainly done it before but they do change policies on a regular basis.
This is a bit above my pay grade, but I think that if the loads fit within a NEC load calc for 125A you might be able to feed the service straight into the Gateway 2 and use a new larger panel to manage the 120% rule to fit a lot more solar. I'm not sure if this would even require activating the PCS feature in the Gateway 2.

I am just amazed on how many on these projects seem to want to cut corners!. To put things like solar, etc on a house but not upgrade an old out of date service is just short sited IMO. During my remodel, I could have kept my 40 year old subpanel, but said was stupid to not spend the 5K and bring it up to new standards. Just something simple like being able to get current safe breakers was a big plus. IMO, if one does not want to do it right, just leaving what one has is by far the best use of money. And since most folks do not stay in a house over 7 years, let the next buyer deal with it.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
I am just amazed on how many on these projects seem to want to cut corners!. To put things like solar, etc on a house but not upgrade an old out of date service is just short sited IMO. During my remodel, I could have kept my 40 year old subpanel, but said was stupid to not spend the 5K and bring it up to new standards. Just something simple like being able to get current safe breakers was a big plus. IMO, if one does not want to do it right, just leaving what one has is by far the best use of money. And since most folks do not stay in a house over 7 years, let the next buyer deal with it.
I agree with you. I think safety first. Will look into the panel upgrade. Even at $10000 might be worth it.

I agree with you. I think safety first. Will look into the panel upgrade. Even at $10000 might be worth it.
Just seems getting ones infrastructure updated to todays standards should be a higher priority. I know with my old subpanel all the electrical folks said had safety issues, even though the county would not force me to upgrade. I was lucky that my house was build 40 years ago all electric so a 400 amp service was put in. When I purchased 32 years ago, I converted it all to propane. Then over the last year converted it back to 99% electric. But I spent the extra money to make sure within reason I upgraded everything to the latest codes, safety. Now at least whether I put in solar, or batteries or anything, the infrastructure is not an issue. If it were me, and if there were plans for EV charging, etc. I would look at the cost difference between a 200 and 400 amp service if one is going through the effort. The extra cost may not be that much.

Just seems getting ones infrastructure updated to todays standards should be a higher priority. I know with my old subpanel all the electrical folks said had safety issues, even though the county would not force me to upgrade. I was lucky that my house was build 40 years ago all electric so a 400 amp service was put in. When I purchased 32 years ago, I converted it all to propane. Then over the last year converted it back to 99% electric. But I spent the extra money to make sure within reason I upgraded everything to the latest codes, safety. Now at least whether I put in solar, or batteries or anything, the infrastructure is not an issue. If it were me, and if there were plans for EV charging, etc. I would look at the cost difference between a 200 and 400 amp service if one is going through the effort. The extra cost may not be that much.
That's true. I'll look into the 400A as well.

Tesla came back and said I'd have to own outright for them to do this job. Hopefully someone else who's local can do my add-on while I keep my existing SunRun system.

I have known some folks who backed out of house sales because they found out the solar was leased. Guess what you are going through supports why lease is not that great in the long run
Frankly in the Bay Area, you don't back out of a house contract because of a $10K liability :). This place is completely nuts. It might be totally worth it in a sense to buyout the SunRun contract. I just need to find out a bunch of things:
1. What happens to the warranty?
2. Whether or not I need a new electrical line to the house or whether the existing will suffice for the panel upgrade.
3. Looking into the Solar options in parallel...

Frankly in the Bay Area, you don't back out of a house contract because of a $10K liability :). This place is completely nuts. It might be totally worth it in a sense to buyout the SunRun contract. I just need to find out a bunch of things:
1. What happens to the warranty?
2. Whether or not I need a new electrical line to the house or whether the existing will suffice for the panel upgrade.
3. Looking into the Solar options in parallel...
If it were me, for such a small old solar setup, and all the issues having it are seeming to bring, I would just look at how to buy it out, get rid of it,
and just start over. As you say, for what the homes in the Bay Area are worth, why not clean some things us. I just tell me kids I am spending their inheritance. :) And when I go to sell my lake front home at Lake of the Pines, I want to make sure it is ready for one of these Bay Area folks who are moving here with LOTS of money, and want a completely turn key house that can be off grid for most of the time.

If it were me, for such a small old solar setup, and all the issues having it are seeming to bring, I would just look at how to buy it out, get rid of it,
and just start over. As you say, for what the homes in the Bay Area are worth, why not clean some things us. I just tell me kids I am spending their inheritance. :) And when I go to sell my lake front home at Lake of the Pines, I want to make sure it is ready for one of these Bay Area folks who are moving here with LOTS of money, and want a completely turn key house that can be off grid for most of the time.
Indeed :)
$10K buyout ($7K of that would be what I'd owe them anyway over the next 10 years for the PPA), so really it's a $3K robbery - not too bad.
Update MSP: I suppose this is a general house upgrade (spend kid inheritance!! LOVE IT!!! ;-)). I've also been advised by a helpful person on here that the MSP upgrade cost since it is happening to add solar might be subject to the 26% federal tax rebate - so again not bad.
Then figure out who will agree to update my solar - Tesla says if I own the system outright, then they will add on, no worries, but I might be able to also go with a local person @Vines? Clean Solar? Might have some good options here. Will keep investigating!

Indeed :)
$10K buyout ($7K of that would be what I'd owe them anyway over the next 10 years for the PPA), so really it's a $3K robbery - not too bad.
Update MSP: I suppose this is a general house upgrade (spend kid inheritance!! LOVE IT!!! ;-)). I've also been advised by a helpful person on here that the MSP upgrade cost since it is happening to add solar might be subject to the 26% federal tax rebate - so again not bad.
Then figure out who will agree to update my solar - Tesla says if I own the system outright, then they will add on, no worries, but I might be able to also go with a local person @Vines? Clean Solar? Might have some good options here. Will keep investigating!
Look at the interest you save by paying off now. I still ask, is you existing solar on the best spots for sun on your house? If so, IMO, I would just get rid of it and use the new panels for the best sun direction.

You just need to have a good tax guy to work with, and not ask too many questions. :) Worst you get audited, they do not agree, and you pay the taxes, no big deal. :)

With all the issues folks have been having with Tesla, not thanks, will stay working with local folks.

• Helpful
Look at the interest you save by paying off now. I still ask, is you existing solar on the best spots for sun on your house? If so, IMO, I would just get rid of it and use the new panels for the best sun direction.

You just need to have a good tax guy to work with, and not ask too many questions. :) Worst you get audited, they do not agree, and you pay the taxes, no big deal. :)

With all the issues folks have been having with Tesla, not thanks, will stay working with local folks.
Really helpful. Thank you.

Yep. Hard enough to afford any home. If you can pay it off early, definitely better, but most people cannot afford that luxury. Still - the point of the poster is if you can "afford to" spend less, do it.
Even if one just increases their monthly payments by any amount will save on interest. Home loans are charged differently than other consumer financing like a car or solar.

That was my thinking as well, get rid of a headache. And, one will gain roof space for much greater producing panels to boot.

I am always amazed on folks who take 30 years to pay off a home loan. I paid mine off really early and the amount of interest I saved was amazing.

I would recommend that, whenever you find yourself typing " I am always amazed by..." here on these boards, you really examine what you say after it to ensure that you are actually conveying the message / intent you think you are. You use that phrase here a lot, and, although I have no idea what your intent is when you say it, I know how I receive it and am guessing its not in the manner you intend.