Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Executive Rear Seating _ anyone taken delivery yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I seem to have a different opinion from others here.

They have a demo car (VIN 74xxx) at King of Prussia PA that has the new rear seats.

In short, I don't really like them. They're not as comfortable as the next gen rear seats IMO, nor as comfortable as the front seats. Not adjustable at all. Seats no longer fold, either, so huge loss of cargo space.

To me the normal or next gen rear seats plus new rear console would be better.

The center console with the executive seats is basically rxactly the same as the removable one, except permanently in place.

2015-03-17 11.39.48.jpg

2015-03-17 11.40.14.jpg

Maybe if they were adjustable, or a little more comfortable (or at least as comfortable as the front seats) I'd have a different opinion. The loss of potential cargo room is a biggy to me, too.

I rode for 200 miles in the back of my P85D on Sunday and was pretty comfortable. I sat in these new seats for 5 minutes in the show room and wasn't as comfortable.

2015-03-17 11.39.23.jpg

I also had 5 people in my P85D yesterday, not possible if I had these.

Admittedly I like how the executive rear seat setup looks vs mine... but practicality wins for me.

Last edited:
Executive rear seat option is not for people that care about utility, or storage space, or seating 5. It's for executive transportation for those who are driven. These people aren't going to disneyland with all their kids and luggage, they're being driven to the office or to the airport.

Executive rear seat option is not for people that care about utility, or storage space, or seating 5. It's for executive transportation for those who are driven. These people aren't going to disneyland with all their kids and luggage, they're being driven to the office or to the airport.

Ironically, I think the Model S with Executive Seats still has more storage space than similarly sized sedans with only a trunk. You just lose the "hatchback advantage" with these seats.

it really depends on what you want to use the car for. I have ordered the exec. seats because my new P85D is replacing a2+2 sports car and I want to keep the 2+2 scenario but with a TESLA instead. so I am also getting the Unplugged Performance exterior kit, new wheels and some nice interior details to make the whole look and feel more aggressively sporty.

I got to test drive a 85d with the executive rear seat option and found the seats to be VERY comfortable, way better than the standard bench seat.
For me they give the car a more luxury look and feel. However not being able to fold down is bummer. I have an A7 and am a rode cyclist so I put my bike in the back with the seat folded down since I am not down with a roof rack or hitch. As long as I could get my bike to fit in the trunk Id love having the executive rear seats.

I think they are going against the Lincoln TownCar crowd. Yes more expensive, but a pretty good ROI. Point is, TownCars are used for a given purpose of Executive transpiration. No bikes, no kids, etc. There is a very real market for that. Tesla is expanding accordingly.

My perspective on the Executive rear seats is based upon that from the eyes of an empty nester. My wife and I have two other utilitarian cars, and SUV and a Prius. Both of which can be used for lugging things from the garden center, etc. The Tesla S would not be used for that purpose but rather for cruising trips on country back roads and jaunts to the theater and or dinner with another couple.

At no time can I see the need for lugging more than 4 passengers in the car. Likewise I cannot see myself loading 14 bags of fertilizer in a Tesla when I have an SUV to do that.

So from my perspective, the executive seating is a very positive thing and will allow my passengers to feel special I suppose. In addition, the lack of the center rear headrest is greatly appreciated by me. I really do not like the tall central headrest one bit.

The loss of one extra seat isn't a biggie. It's mainly just me and my wife most of the time anyways. We like the luxurious look of the executive seats. Here's 2 pics of what the seat looks like.

IMG_7830.JPG
IMG_7831.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7831.JPG
    IMG_7831.JPG
    225.2 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_7830.JPG
    IMG_7830.JPG
    185.8 KB · Views: 285
Thanks for those pictures. Can you do me a solid and take a picture of rear storage area with the rear hatch open?
I am curious as to how the parcel shelf behind the seats reacts when the hatch goes up...?
Also, do you have the premium sound, and if so does the subwoofer still sound good with the Executive rear seats?
Is there any additional lighting for the trunk hatch area?

thanks Art