Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Excess powdercoating interferes with aftermarket rear brake pads?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I ordered street/track pads for the stock Model S Plaid calipers. The front set went together OK but the rears...no. Pads are from Unplugged Performance. The Tesla shop that did the install work, Parts3Xpress in Temple City, CA, shot this photo. Too little clearance. UP confirms the right brake pads were shipped to me, after I sent photos of the pad back and box. After consulting with the guys in the shop, I was informed this is most likely interference created by excess powdercoating at the factory. He said they've seen this issue before. The solution is apparently to grind a bit off the pad to open up needed clearance. I will arrange for that to happen. I bring this up solely to make y'all aware of the issue I'm having so you'll know what to do if it happens to you. Fun times! If you've experienced this yourself, please post about it.
:cool:

123_1.jpeg

Powder coat is typically only 2-3 mils thick. How much clearance did you have with the stock pads? It's convenient for one manufacturer (UP) to point the finger at the other (Tesla) but Tesla may just say "you made your pads too big, try again."

I have seen something like this before. I remember doing brakes in my apartment parking lot on my car when I was in college. Had to grind the ears down on a set of cheap brake pads on the curb to get them to fit in the bracket.

• Funny
Reactions: MountainPass