Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Excellent Service Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My household has a Model X (since 2016) and Model 3 (late 9/2018). We're not unfamiliar with Tesla Service, and we've been taking our X to the Costa Mesa SC (CMSC) since we first got our X.

I remember when CMSC used to be really wide open in terms of service appts - you could call and get an appt easily or just bring in your car and they'd do their best to take care of you right then and there. Service Advisors were super attentive and really great about making sure everything was to satisfaction. Windows in the back of the waiting area didn't used to be frosted over so you could see all the Ss and Xs back there. Also used to have free cans of soda in the waiting area. Always a loaner available too, most importantly! Luckily, our early X didn't have many problems that required an SC visit - just read the forums to recalibrate the doors, or get a heads up on when the next firmware drop would fix whatever new door/sensor issue would pop up from the last update!

Fast forward 2.5 years to my first Model 3 service appt. I initially had a service appt first thing 12/15/2018 for a few items accumulated from initial delivery (sched initially 12/3). Minor stuff that are irritants but I can drive around in. An advisor communicated with me via email prior to the appt to confirm what issues I had and to verify what parts were needed. They had just opened up Sat appts. When I got there, the front driveways and lots were packed bumper to bumper. I think I was the second person, and I was on the ramp out to the street. Cars subsequent to me were lined up out into the street! I learned that the SC had become the busiest SC in the WORLD, surpassing their Hong Kong store (or was it Shanghai? I don't really remember). The SA who met me when they opened was very thorough, and noticed that the wrong part was ordered for one of the repairs! He told me that they could address some of the other things right away, but that I'd have to bring it back to get the other items repaired once they got it in stock. And that I could just show up later the following week without an appt and they'd take care of it. I thought this was fine and agreed.

Later the following week, I tried calling to confirm that the parts were indeed in stock, as I didn't want to make the unnecessary trip in case it wasn't, but couldn't get through. No matter when I called, it would ring off the hook and eventually get punted to their regional center in Arizona. And when one of them tried calling, even then it would take forever to actually reach someone at CMSC! So rather than chance an unnecessary trip and/or leave my car there for who knows how long, with no guarantee of a loaner, I decided to make a follow up appt through the app. Earliest I could get was 2/1/2019!

So, FINALLY, took my car in on Friday for the appt after getting confirmation via email that the parts were in. I arrived on time. The driveway/lot was full, but back to a driveway rather than bumper to bumper lot, and things were SOOOO much smoother. SA greeted me and reconfirmed issues. Waited a little bit in the waiting area, maybe 15-20 mins? before another rep came and offered me a loaner! Got a newer S! Got text notification that my car repairs were complete and that I could pick it up by 3pm. Showed up on time, got my car, and drove off happy!

TLDR: Costa Mesa service came through with flying colors! Some serious growing pains after the 3 launch, but I feel like they've really got it under control now. I know some people have complained about Tesla Service, but I'm part of what I think is the majority here that believe that Tesla will make it right. Eventually.

PS. The first guy in front of my on my first 12/2018 service appt showed up without an appt, complaining about low tire pressure. Seriously? Don't be that guy. Learn how to check your tire pressure. Everyone needs to know how to do that. You're the guy who shows up at the ER complaining about a splinter in your finger, diverting attention and resources from people with serious issues. Don't be that guy.