Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV6 to a Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good afternoon, everyone.

I ended up trading Ruby the EV6 for a Model Y last night. My 5 months with the EV6 was fantastic, and the mechanical bits were every bit as awesome as I hoped going in. Ultimately, it was the lousy CCS charging experience combined with software that seemed like an afterthought that drove me to making the switch. For anyone interested, here are a few thoughts I have between the two.

IMG_8333.jpegIMG_7391.jpegIMG_8163.jpeg

Driving

The driving experience between the two is very different. The aggressive looks of the EV6 belie its fantastic road manners and refinement. I think my EV6 was the quietest and best-riding car I've ever had, and was MUCH better than the Model 3 that I had for two years previously. Everything was tight, there were no unusual noises, and it was a joy on the highway. In comparison, the Y has a choppier ride, a bit more noise, and a strange booming resonance when I go over bumps at higher speed. It's not enough to be intrusive and much better than my '19 Model 3 was, but not to the level of the EV6.

Compared to the athletic EV6, I think the Model Y looks like a bloated fish. But the handling is the polar opposite with the aggressive steering ratio and smaller wheel. Despite its much larger size, the Model Y is 330 lbs lighter, and you can feel it. My AWD EV6 had the slick front axle disconnect that improved high-speed efficiency, but it came at the expense of a noticeable lag as the motor spun up deliver the power that my right foot was requesting. The Y is locked in at all times, and power comes on like a hammer. The standard Y calibration has a throttle tip-in that's somewhere between normal and Sport Mode on the EV6.

For overall performance, they're extremely close. I've seen drag races where the EV6 was right next to the Model Y up to about 60 MPH, and that's about my experience. The RWD EV6 isn't anything special for performance, but my AWD model felt like a rocketship. I think my '19 Standard Range 3 would walk it above 70 MPH though; the power dropoff at higher speeds was more pronounced. Below 60, it wasn't even close. Up until the Model Y, that EV6 was the fastest thing I've owned.

Interior and Storage

The Model Y really stands out for interior usability. It has a much larger cabin with over 75 cubic feet(2.12 cubic meters) compared to 52(1.47 cubic meters) for the EV6. The difference feels smaller because of how well laid out the EV6 is, but you can't beat the massive trunk well and frunk. Today was a good reminder of why I liked that frunk in the wintertime when I loaded almost half of a shopping cart's worth of cold groceries in the frunk to keep them chilled on the hour-long ride home. It's tough to beat that convenience.

The center console of the Y is closed off to deliver a cockpit-like feel, which isn't as usable as the big open tub underneath the rotary shifter in the EV6. The wireless charger is a better compared to the single unit under the driver's arm on the EV6. I never used it on my EV6 because of wired CarPlay, but that's a language that Tesla does not speak, so I'll be using it from now on. My Y came with the optional white interior, which looks great when it's clean. I'm concerned about keeping it that way, as I'm a bit neurotic about having a decent-looking car.

The EV6 is a lot more usable than the size difference would suggest. The overall passenger room seems about even between the two, but the rear passengers sit lower than the Y. The long cargo area is great. The first photo below is my EV6 swallowing 10 bags of topsoil with a rake and hose on top. My boys were comfortably in the back seat for the ride home, and there was no noticeable squatting with the added weight. I was impressed.

IMG_8498.jpegIMG_7341.jpegIMG_7339.jpegIMG_7195.jpeg

Infotainment/Navigation.

This is the one area that Tesla has the clear advantage. This shouldn't be news to anyone here. The physical controls of the EV6 great, but it didn't take long to get used to Tesla's system again despite the critical reviews. I hate the fact that Tesla does not support CarPlay, but Tesla's in-car system remains the best in the business despite some rearranging since I last left. The second-generation system in my Y with the Ryzen processor is noticeably snappier than the one in my last Tesla. And even the old Intel chip would leave Kia's UVO system in the dust.

I never had a problem with the speed of Kia's system, though, and I always enjoyed how many options we had within the various menus. But my early-build EV6 lacked preconditioning, and it's been made clear that this feature cannot be added within a simple OTA update. The EV6 doesn't have any kind of trip-planning function and doesn't give you a battery estimate of what will remain once you arrive. That's a major oversight for a company that's been making EVs for three years now, but I expect it will eventually be corrected with an OTA update at some point down the line. This shouldn't be a hard problem for Kia to solve.

IMG_7143.jpegIMG_7183.jpeg

To my ear, Tesla has a clear advantage with their sound system. I sat in the EV6 for the first time with high hopes for the 14-speaker Meridian system, but it was a big disappointment. It sounded better than most unbranded systems that I've had in the past, and better than the one in my Standard Range '19 Model 3, but that's as much as I'd give it. I believe this is a calibration issue more than a speaker quality one, so I hope there's some kind of improvement that gets released in the future. In comparison, the Model Y has deep, powerful bass and clear highs that are somewhat neutered when driven by Bluetooth audio. Seems to be better with direct streaming through Spotify, though. I switched to Apple Music when they came out with lossless a couple of years ago, so I hope to get the holiday update to compare the two soon.

Other stuff.

Tesla has long had the best mobile app in the business, and it's gotten even better since I sold my 3. The Kia app is functionally braindead in comparison. It's capable of remotely starting the HVAC, but you only have a limited degree of control. You can set the climate temp at the start, but you can't change it without stopping the system and adjusting the settings within the app. Once you send the command, you have to wait 5-20 seconds for the signal to be sent to the car and the app confirms the change. If you try and change anything before that, you get an "Error: Command in progress." For some silly reason, you can remotely enable the steering wheel heater with climate, but not the seats? It's really bizarre to slide into a warm cabin, grab a toasty wheel, and have a freezing ass.

Kia advertises their 800v system, and for very good reason. The EV6 is a charging hero, and I don't expect the Model Y will be able to beat it. This thing would hold 220 kW from 10-60%, which made it charge the 77 kWh battery to 80% in about 20 minutes. I did this repeatedly on a road trip over the summer. Of course, this isn't possible in the winter with the lack of preconditioning, but later-build EV6es had that fixed. The Electrify America network is every bit the dumpster fire you've heard about, but when they work, it's fast. This won't last forever, though. I was also impressed with how strong the regen is on the EV6. It's noticeably stronger at all speeds to the Model Y despite the Y weighing 300 lbs less. You can do some neat things with 800v because you don't need as much current to do the same amount of work.

IMG_8524.JPEG

To conclude, my time spent with the EV6 was mostly filled with great thoughts. I really got to love the refinement and outstanding fast-charging capability. My previous experience was with a '19 Tesla Model 3 with a PTC heater that wasn't capable of achieving its 240-mile rated range in sunny weather rolling down a hill. The EV6 never disappointed me for range, and I was impressed with how well it manages energy. I certainly wouldn't rule out another Kia EV in the future, and Tesla needs to step up their game if they expect to retain their longstanding primacy in the EV market. An EV6 with a Tesla-like software experience would have the Model Y pretty well dialed in.

IMG_8498.jpeg

Last edited:
I can’t compare the EV6 to your Model 3 because it would be a meaningless comparison. My lifetime average was 402 wh/mi as measured on Teslafi.

Over the same trip, in the similar conditions, with me driving nearly the same way, my EV6 was significantly more efficient than my RWD Model 3. If the Model 3 is more efficient than the Y, then I could conclude that the EV6 is more efficient than the Y as well.

For my use. Your mileage may vary.
Lifetime average was 402 wh/mi? That’s crazy. My Model Y AWD is under 280 wh/mi.

Your avg on the Model 3 was 402wh/mi? That seems really high. The lifetime avg consumption on my MYP is 292wh/mi over 27k miles so far. On a couple of longer highway trips during warmer temps I think I was in the low 300s. 402wh/mi is the kind of number I’m seeing from my wife’s Volvo C40 (known to be inefficient) during the warmer months. Does TeslaFi report different consumption numbers compared to what the car displays?

Are you seeing better consumption numbers in your Model Y? I rented a MYLR w/induction wheels a couple of months ago and it did 298wh/mi during 4 days of mostly highway driving. I was mildly surprised that it was basically the same as my MYP.

Sure. I don’t pretend to drive like anyone else, and the consumption figures from the car are always very close to TeslaFi.

I never got my Model 3 to perform close to the EPA rating. I spent a lot of time on the consumption screen, and my figures were always higher than the rated efficiency rating. I think much of that is location and habits. I don’t really care about efficiency, and some medical issues make it hard to keep my hands, feet, and body temp in colder weather. I keep my cabin at 78º most of the time, and spend most of my driving on four-lane highways above 70 MPH. On the interstates, I cruse at 78 MPH. So far, my new Y is much more efficient than my 3 was in cold weather. Nothing I did could get that Model 3 to hit its 240-mile EPA rating, and I don’t expect to see 330 miles out of my Y.

I was trying to post figures for my driving in a nearly identical trip between my Model 3 and Model Y. And nobody believes my numbers.

Sure. I don’t pretend to drive like anyone else, and the consumption figures from the car are always very close to TeslaFi.

I never got my Model 3 to perform close to the EPA rating. I spent a lot of time on the consumption screen, and my figures were always higher than the rated efficiency rating. I think much of that is location and habits. I don’t really care about efficiency, and some medical issues make it hard to keep my hands, feet, and body temp in colder weather. I keep my cabin at 78º most of the time, and spend most of my driving on four-lane highways above 70 MPH. On the interstates, I cruse at 78 MPH. So far, my new Y is much more efficient than my 3 was in cold weather. Nothing I did could get that Model 3 to hit its 240-mile EPA rating, and I don’t expect to see 330 miles out of my Y.

I was trying to post figures for my driving in a nearly identical trip between my Model 3 and Model Y. And nobody believes my numbers.
That makes sense then, given the relatively high temp and speed you drove the Model 3. I think it's just that for many of us, it's jarring to see 402 wh/mi on a Model 3 when many people indicate that they get 270 wh/mi or lower in their MYLRs for their lifetime avg consumption.

I would be curious to know if the Model Y matches the EV6's efficiency for you down the road.

More positive experience using the new generation of Signet CCS Superchargers:

Sadly I doubt anyone is surprised. On the topic of frozen EV, OOS justupped their deep freeze M3 test. They left their M3 at a SUC for two days in -14 temp for science. Cliff notes, it was uneventful. They should do the same test with a competing EV, right?

Sadly I doubt anyone is surprised. On the topic of frozen EV, OOS justupped their deep freeze M3 test. They left their M3 at a SUC for two days in -14 temp for science. Cliff notes, it was uneventful. They should do the same test with a competing EV, right?
Here you are:

This Tesla guy didn't seems so lucky:

- Note: I think when below 20% SoC the battery cannot pre-condition, to protect the battery, and I think this was the issue.
However, when connected at home or at a Supercharger, I wonder why the pre-condition could not use the off shore power?

Last edited:
Reactions: TomB985
This is why I avoid making generalizations.

On the Kia forum, people were complaining about how every dealer was backed up for weeks and it was impossible to get their cars serviced in a timely manner. I went to the service websites of two local dealers to schedule a software update for my HVAC module to correct a temperature display issue. One dealer was booked out 6 weeks, and the other had an opening just four days away. I was in and out in about 45 minutes. 10 days later, I traded for a Model Y, and you guys had to put up with me again.

I’ve had good and bad service experiences with all brands, including Tesla. Same for charging. I almost had to get towed out of the Rochester, MN Supercharger two years ago after two units in a row had bad connectors. I thought the issue was with my car, and road service scheduled a tow before I found a third working unit. I’d never take that experience and insist that the Supercharger network was terrible.

Yup. The only issue I have with Superchargers is the people that insist they are flawless and never have problems. Superchargers on less traveled routes are sort of neglected and worn out. In particular, Tupelo MS supercharger is slow (even for V2) with at least one bricked charger at any given time. Over all the Supercharger network is great, and I have never been left stranded, but (in my personal experience in the Bolt) also since EA came into the picture I have never been left stranded by CCS charging. And yes, I know that others have had worse experiences with EA / CCS.

The Superchargers are more convenient and require zero thought on the user's part, making them a better selling point than CCS charging. I never have to worry about walking away after I plug in the MYP. With the Bolt I might get a text alert that the charging session has ended and I have 10 min to unplug before I start getting exorbitant idling fees... being threatened with idling fees is infuriating when the cause is their damn charger faulted out! Having to run back to the Bolt (interrupting whatever I was doing) to re-start a charging session is NOT a good user experience.

Keith

Here you are:

This Tesla guy didn't seems so lucky:

- Note: I think when below 20% SoC the battery cannot pre-condition, to protect the battery, and I think this was the issue.
However, when connected at home or at a Supercharger, I wonder why the pre-condition could not use the off shore power?
yes, one of the videos above demonstrates this. If the battery is extremely cold the car will first start warming the battery, then start charging. Without watching the video, I suspect he tried to charge a cold battery and then thought it wasn't working because it was warming the battery before actually starting the charging session.

yes, one of the videos above demonstrates this. If the battery is extremely cold the car will first start warming the battery, then start charging. Without watching the video, I suspect he tried to charge a cold battery and then thought it wasn't working because it was warming the battery before actually starting the charging session.
This. Ignorance on the part of that user and click bait going viral nonsense. Watch the OOS video, look at the prompts on the screen, the car tells you what its doing. At -14 it took roughly 40 minutes to warm the battery. Kyle then turned on track mode to confirm that both motors were warmed proving that it did this to warm said battery, etc etc.

It's tough to get a meaningful comparison. I used TeslaFi to gather data on my 2019 Model 3 and my current Y, but there was never a good way to do that with the EV6. I also don't have any experience driving the two in similar conditions because of the cold weather that hit Minnesota the night that I drove the Y home.

But from my experience, my AWD EV6 was more efficient than my 2019 Model 3 SR+ was in warmer weather. I drove from my parents' house in New Hampshire to my house in Minnesota back in May of 2021 with my Model 3. I made the same trip in the EV6 at the end of July of this year. I went on a longer route in 2021, but otherwise the conditions were very similar. The A/C in the Model 3 didn't work as hard because of the more temperate weather. The trip this year with the EV6, in comparison, was in much hotter weather, and I probably drove a couple MPH faster.

And the EV6 was more efficient.

Model 3 in 2021:

View attachment 888946

EV6 in July, 2022:

View attachment 888947

392 wh/mi for the Model 3 vs. 312 wh/mi for the EV6. I was very impressed.

Something is wrong with that Model 3. I have a 2019 Model 3 Performance and I get around 290 wh/mi and it averages 80mph on the highway. When I go on a road-trip, i can average less than 350wh/mi going 85-90mph on I-5. The EV6 on the same route gets over 400wh/mi with the smaller wheels (Wind, AWD) and the efficiency is no-where close to the Model 3. I still have both cars and drive both cars regularly. Most RWD Teslas i've seen get less than 250 wh/mi on the same trip.

Something is wrong with that Model 3. I have a 2019 Model 3 Performance and I get around 290 wh/mi and it averages 80mph on the highway. When I go on a road-trip, i can average less than 350wh/mi going 85-90mph on I-5. The EV6 on the same route gets over 400wh/mi with the smaller wheels (Wind, AWD) and the efficiency is no-where close to the Model 3. I still have both cars and drive both cars regularly. Most RWD Teslas i've seen get less than 250 wh/mi on the same trip.
But you don't drive in the cold temps of Minnesota that he does.

A year from now when I post something about my Model Y’s efficiency, someone will tell me that either I’m doing it wrong or my car is broken. It’s also nowhere near EPA, and worse than others in similar temperatures.

It’s me, not the car. And I drive my Model 3, EV6, and my Model Y in the same manner. For me, the EV6 was more efficient than my old Model 3. I can’t tell for sure about the Y, but it seems pretty close.

A year from now when I post something about my Model Y’s efficiency, someone will tell me that either I’m doing it wrong or my car is broken. It’s also nowhere near EPA, and worse than others in similar temperatures.

It’s me, not the car. And I drive my Model 3, EV6, and my Model Y in the same manner. For me, the EV6 was more efficient than my old Model 3. I can’t tell for sure about the Y, but it seems pretty close.

All I'm saying is that your wh/mi numbers are far higher than the numbers i've seen on the Model 3 forums for RWD variants. I drove a Model Y up and down California during Thanksgiving for 8 days and my average was about 350 wh/mi which is slightly better than my EV6 at highway speeds. They are pretty much a wash. A Model 3 is SIGNIFICANTLY more efficient than either car on average so I think something wasn't right with your car.

I’ve had my Model Y for 2 ½ years, 28k miles. In the summer, driving back from our cabin in Wisconsin I will routinely get <250 Wh/mi - almost exactly the EPA. It’s very possible to do. I’m on my 3rd winter and my lifetime average is under 280 Wh/mi we’ll see what it ends up being at 3 years but I expect it will be close unless we continue with continuous snow storms and sub zero weather all winter.

[...]

... and there’s zero ability to use no-Tesla charging locations. As an example, I was driving up to Grand Forks, ND, and after charging in Alexandria, MN Tesla said I make it the rest of the way with 12% battery left. Half way between Fargo and Grand Forks the estimated remaining battery had dropped to 2% so my wife had to get out her phone, pull up plugshare and search for other charging options. With CarPlay you can just have apps like A Better Route Planner or PlugShare right on the console.
True re not being able to integrate non-Tesla chargers into the travel planning. But given the unreliability of non-Tesla charging networks - discussed extensively in this thread - would you actually want to rely on other chargers in your travel planning?

This is something that I have considered in debating whether to get a CCS adapter for our Model 3 - i.e., while it might be handy to have access to CCS charging in some situations, the chargers that I plan to actually rely on will still be Tesla's.

Last edited: