Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV plates (Illinois)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will be purchasing an electric vehicle from a Fiat dealership soon, in Chicago. Not a Fiat, obviously. Any suggestions to make sure they complete the correct procedure to register it as electric so I can get my 'EL' plates? Thanks

Ask them for the EL plates. They won't do it automatically because it's more work for them. But they should know how to get it. If not, then refer them here.

Electric Vehicle License Plates

I see too many EVs running around with non-EL plates - most likely lease, but I don't understand how the dealerships don't use the registration cost as a selling point. Oh right, they don't really want to sell EVs.

Ask them for the EL plates. They won't do it automatically because it's more work for them. But they should know how to get it. If not, then refer them here.

Electric Vehicle License Plates

I see too many EVs running around with non-EL plates - most likely lease, but I don't understand how the dealerships don't use the registration cost as a selling point. Oh right, they don't really want to sell EVs.

Thanks for the info and quick response!

Here are EL fees--bascially $35 for 2 years.

Fees
Random-Number Electric Vehicle License Plates
  • Newly acquired vehicle/first-time issuance - $130 ($95 title fee + $35* registration fee for 2 years)
  • Currently titled vehicle/first-time issuance - $35 ($35* registration fee for 2 years)
  • Current plates expire within 90 days - $64 ($35* registration fee + $29 replacement fee)
  • Current plates do not expire within 90 days - $64 ($35* registration fee +$29 replacement fee)
  • Two year renewal - $35

*Two-Year Registration fees as follows:
  • January 1 thru June 14of the first year - $35 registration fee
  • June 15 thru December 14 of the first year - $27 registration fee
  • December 15 thru June 14 of the second year - $18 registration fee
  • June 15 thru December 31 of the second year - $9 registration fee

• Helpful
Reactions: Takumi