Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Market Share

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Non-recourse debt from OEMs financial arms on the cars themselves have no effect on operations.

Non-profitable and low profit ICE car sales are falling. Last month ATP on new cars is over $45k in the USA. I imagine it is the same in Europe and Asia. If you can't make all the cars you want because of chip,labor, and whatever else shortage you prioritize making the most profitable cars.

They are making profits on their EVs. Many OEMs have expertise on EVs. Having less expertise than Tesla does not mean zero.

Toyota makes the best mass market mainstream ICEv and they are the low cost producer. They don't have 100% ICEv market share. They have 10%.

Tesla can have objectively the best BEVs and be the low cost producer doesn't mean they will have 50% Plus market share. There will be others making different BEVs for different taste.

Elon Musk himselfs projects 25% automotive market share for Tesla. Because manufacturing is hard. And Elon tends to be optimistic.
I don't think the picture for the ICEmakers is quite as rosy as you have rationalized.
EVs are a small part of the market now but will rapidly overtake ICE. EV market share will go to low cost producers with compelling products. None of the Ice makers have cost or performance advantages. They are still in the compliance car mindset and don't want to cannibalize their ICE profits. Only VW seems to realize this.
In 5 years the auto industry will look much different.

• Informative
Reactions: Doggydogworld

Thanks for sharing... the future does not look good for a number of the large legacy automakers.

US-auto-sales-q3-2021-vs-q3-2019-change-CleanTechnica-watermark.png

Non-recourse debt from OEMs financial arms on the cars themselves have no effect on operations.

Non-profitable and low profit ICE car sales are falling. Last month ATP on new cars is over $45k in the USA. I imagine it is the same in Europe and Asia. If you can't make all the cars you want because of chip,labor, and whatever else shortage you prioritize making the most profitable cars.

They are making profits on their EVs. Many OEMs have expertise on EVs. Having less expertise than Tesla does not mean zero.

Toyota makes the best mass market mainstream ICEv and they are the low cost producer. They don't have 100% ICEv market share. They have 10%.

Tesla can have objectively the best BEVs and be the low cost producer doesn't mean they will have 50% Plus market share. There will be others making different BEVs for different taste.

Elon Musk himselfs projects 25% automotive market share for Tesla. Because manufacturing is hard. And Elon tends to be optimistic.
Many sound points here. I would point out that it is incredibly hard to gain market share in a mature market, and that has been a major challenge for Toyota competing ICEVs against ICEV makers. China automaker were too late to the party to become serious exporters of ICEVs. But the disruption of the ICE market by BEV is the golden ticket for Chinese automakers to become world class EV exporters. As a collective, Chinese EV makers could definitely take 50% of the global auto market. So for me, I think the main challenge to Tesla grabbing upwards of 25% market share are these Chinese EV makers.

One other point about other OEMs having EV experience: I do look at this through the lens of Wright's Law. As a manufacture doubles its cumulative production of BEVs, it likely will find ways to cut costs 10% to 20%, whatever the experience rate. So it is well and good for OEMs to have some experience with BEV's, but the critical question is how quickly can they double their cumulative production. This is why BEV market share has mattered over recent years. Those who have been holding strong market share are doubling as quickly as the BEV market itself. A rookie mistake for traditional automakers is that because they dabble in hybrids and FCEV tech, they may think they are at the cutting edge, but in reality they are missing out on the opportunity to double cumulative production of BEVS sooner. If you understand the implications of Wright's Law and understand that BEVs will take nearly total share of the auto market by 2030, then your strategy becomes clear: You focus entirely on BEVs and the BEV supply chain so that you can maximize your rate of learning. This is exactly the strategic advantage that Tesla and some of the Chinese BEV makers have.

I don't think any one BEV maker will gain 50% share of the auto market even when BEVs are at 99% penetration. But to hold on to 10% share of the auto market into the 2030s, I think an automaker needs to be all-in on BEV manufacturing right now. All the other noise (PHEVs, for example) is just slowing down the rate of learning a company could achieve on BEV design and manufacture.

As a collective, Chinese EV makers could definitely take 50% of the global auto market. So for me, I think the main challenge to Tesla grabbing upwards of 25% market share are these Chinese EV makers.

I always enjoy reading your analysis. You analyze the world as if everyone is a rational economic actor. But you always have one blindspot: politics.

There is zero chance any Chinese made cars get exported to India. There is zero chance any significant amount of Chinese cars get exported to Japan or South Korea. Probably true for Vietnam. They have their own national champion now. There is some market share limit the EU will tolerate. The limit is probably higher in the USA but there is one.

People think China will simply follow the path of Japan's and S Korea's automakers. The USA,EU, Japan, and S Korea are in the same political alliance while China is most definitely not. Neither the EU, Japan nor S Korea have nuclear weapons aimed at the USA. And the US leadership has always prioritized international politics over economic self interest.

Second, it took Hyundai/Kia and the Japanese automakers decades to gain the trust of Western consumers. A vehicle is the second most expensive purchase most people make. You have to not only trust the vehicle will hold up well for you to drive it but have a good reputation by the time you want to sell. And you are also trusting the safety engineering to keep your family safe if there is an accident. Trust goes beyond having the right electric powertrain tech at the right price.

It is possible China will dominate the electric auto market in third world countries outside of India/Vietnam. That is cheap low end EVs with low profit margin. There is a cost to China threatening their neighbors. And you can add Australia and The Philippines to the list of countries China is threatening.

One other point about other OEMs having EV experience: I do look at this through the lens of Wright's Law. As a manufacture doubles its cumulative production of BEVs, it likely will find ways to cut costs 10% to 20%, whatever the experience rate. So it is well and good for OEMs to have some experience with BEV's, but the critical question is how quickly can they double their cumulative production.
You have to separate pack/motor/power electronics manufacturing from the other 90% of it.

Cells - every carmaker except BYD is on the same curve because they buy from the same vendors.
Body/Paint/suspension/etc. - The competition is many doublings ahead of Tesla
Accessories (everything from brakes to window motors to airbags) - same vendors, same curve for everyone

You can't just ignore experience gained building hybrids and PHEVs. Toyota will build 3x as many battery packs, e-motors and power electronics modules as Tesla this year. VW Group will build close to a million EVs this year. That all transfers pretty directly. Upsizing the pack and deleting the ICE doesn't mean they start all over from scratch. On top of that you have potential platform sharing, e.g. Ford using MEB, Renault/Nissan who are over 1m cumulative EVs, etc.

Barring a 4680 miracle, which IMHO is a real long shot, I don't see a manufacturing play here. Focus on the marketing, that's where Tesla truly stands alone.

Reactions: jhm
You have to separate pack/motor/power electronics manufacturing from the other 90% of it.

Cells - every carmaker except BYD is on the same curve because they buy from the same vendors.
Body/Paint/suspension/etc. - The competition is many doublings ahead of Tesla
Accessories (everything from brakes to window motors to airbags) - same vendors, same curve for everyone

You can't just ignore experience gained building hybrids and PHEVs. Toyota will build 3x as many battery packs, e-motors and power electronics modules as Tesla this year. VW Group will build close to a million EVs this year. That all transfers pretty directly. Upsizing the pack and deleting the ICE doesn't mean they start all over from scratch. On top of that you have potential platform sharing, e.g. Ford using MEB, Renault/Nissan who are over 1m cumulative EVs, etc.

Barring a 4680 miracle, which IMHO is a real long shot, I don't see a manufacturing play here. Focus on the marketing, that's where Tesla truly stands alone.
The stuff that transfers over is really hard to double in cumulative production because cumulative production is already very large. So these are not the areas where the learning rate is going to translate into much of an annual decline is in cost. Things like the bolting seats directly onto the upper plate of the battery pack before assembly to the rest of the car are very much the kind unexpected efficiencies that you don't learn by building hybrids that have small, non-structural battery packs. These are the kinds of subtleties that translate into it taking VW 30 hours to build an ID, while Tesla is bearing down on 10 to build a MY. Wright's law deals with the total cost of manufacturing, not just the sum of the parts.

Reactions: mspohr
I always enjoy reading your analysis. You analyze the world as if everyone is a rational economic actor. But you always have one blindspot: politics.

There is zero chance any Chinese made cars get exported to India. There is zero chance any significant amount of Chinese cars get exported to Japan or South Korea. Probably true for Vietnam. They have their own national champion now. There is some market share limit the EU will tolerate. The limit is probably higher in the USA but there is one.

People think China will simply follow the path of Japan's and S Korea's automakers. The USA,EU, Japan, and S Korea are in the same political alliance while China is most definitely not. Neither the EU, Japan nor S Korea have nuclear weapons aimed at the USA. And the US leadership has always prioritized international politics over economic self interest.

Second, it took Hyundai/Kia and the Japanese automakers decades to gain the trust of Western consumers. A vehicle is the second most expensive purchase most people make. You have to not only trust the vehicle will hold up well for you to drive it but have a good reputation by the time you want to sell. And you are also trusting the safety engineering to keep your family safe if there is an accident. Trust goes beyond having the right electric powertrain tech at the right price.

It is possible China will dominate the electric auto market in third world countries outside of India/Vietnam. That is cheap low end EVs with low profit margin. There is a cost to China threatening their neighbors. And you can add Australia and The Philippines to the list of countries China is threatening.
Yes, I tend to prefer a good economic analysis to political considerations. Are you suggesting that China can't achieve a 50% market share of the global market on grounds of national politics? Or where would you set that upper limit if other than 50%? On the low side, the Chinese domestic market is about a 1/3 of the global market. If China can get a 1/3 of the market outside of their domestic market, this puts 50% of global within range. We seem to agree that through much of non-OECD countries excluding a few like India, China can do well, especially with very low cost cars (under $10k). So how about the EU and the US? Do we think Chinese imports to the tune of 1/4 to 1/3 of the domestic market would be politically intolerable? So I think you make good political points, and I think we could take the analysis a bit further by looking as the size of national markets and setting reasonable limits on imports from China.

You may find useful data here, Sales Statistics | www.oica.net .

Reactions: mspohr
A new Model 3 is built every 2.5 minutes. In a year+ after Giga Texas and Giga Berlin have ramped up we should have a new 3 and or Y built every minute.

Last edited:
Reactions: replicant

Viktor is tracking BEV market penetration and predicting 11.4% BEV share of auto market in Q4 2021. I wanted to see if this prediction was in line with a logistic growth model. So I fitted one to the actual and this near term forecast point. The 11.4% is well above the fitted logistic curve. Even so, the fitted model lead to BEV market domination (more than 50% penetration) by end of 2026. Maybe Viktor is picking up on more granular data than the historical timeseries. Regardless, the growth rate on BEV market share is pretty fast.

1635397569348.png

1635397613364.png

I personally like the log scale for BEV market share because initially logistic (S-curve) growth is exponential, and this shows up as nearly linear using the log scale. Eventually log logistic growth levels out as the market saturation slows the growth rate.

Also this view make it clear that BEV penetration growth was not so good in 2019. The growth rate 2020-2021 appears to be faster. Are BEVs just having a growth spurt, or will this quicker growth rates persist over another five years or so? Right now it is more conservative to fit the logistical model through 2018 to end of 2021 than to leave off the first two years. Hopefully Viktor will keep tracking this data, we can update the fit to see if faster uptake of BEV materializes.

Viktor is tracking BEV market penetration and predicting 11.4% BEV share of auto market in Q4 2021. I wanted to see if this prediction was in line with a logistic growth model. So I fitted one to the actual and this near term forecast point. The 11.4% is well above the fitted logistic curve. Even so, the fitted model lead to BEV market domination (more than 50% penetration) by end of 2026. Maybe Viktor is picking up on more granular data than the historical timeseries. Regardless, the growth rate on BEV market share is pretty fast.

View attachment 726577
View attachment 726580

I personally like the log scale for BEV market share because initially logistic (S-curve) growth is exponential, and this shows up as nearly linear using the log scale. Eventually log logistic growth levels out as the market saturation slows the growth rate.

Also this view make it clear that BEV penetration growth was not so good in 2019. The growth rate 2020-2021 appears to be faster. Are BEVs just having a growth spurt, or will this quicker growth rates persist over another five years or so? Right now it is more conservative to fit the logistical model through 2018 to end of 2021 than to leave off the first two years. Hopefully Viktor will keep tracking this data, we can update the fit to see if faster uptake of BEV materializes.
Love those charts.

Viktor's Q4 numbers may include some year-end oem EV channel stuffing to avoid emission penalties (2 of the past 3 Q4s are above the line in your lower chart), but acceleration is also a very real possibility. Either way, 2022 should be fun to watch ....

Last edited:
Reactions: replicant and jhm
Love those charts.

Viktor's Q4 numbers may include some year-end oem EV channel stuffing to avoid emission penalties (2 of the past 3 Q4s are above the line in your lower chart), but acceleration is also a very real possibility. Either way, 2022 should be fun to watch ....
Yeah, there seems to be some seasonal behavior here. I'm not sure what accounts for it as seasonal variation would impact both BEV production and non-BEV production. I would have expected this to cancel out. Perhaps there are regulatory drivers that push automakers to catch up by the end of the calendar year.

Reactions: EinSV
Q4 channel stuffing was huge in Europe last year, but ICE sales took a hit the past few months due to supply chain issues so most OEMs appear to be on target for their EV quotas this year. China should have their normal giant Q4 surge which is partly seasonal and partly regulatory. US is mostly Tesla and too small to matter.

China EV sales were almost flat from 2018-20 due to June 2019's Subsidy-Geddon. But they're clearly back in the driver's seat and leaving Europe in the dust. It's tough to forecast China's regulatory situation, a mishmash of national, provincial and local rules and subsidies which change often. Everyone talks about their national NEV mandate -- e.g. 14% in 2021, 18% in 2023 -- but it's completely immaterial. CAFC offsets and local license plate laws seem to be the real story.

EU 95g ramps way down the next few years after two years of steep increases. I expect Europe EVs to grow from 2.2m this year to 2.6-2.8m next year. Tesla share should increase significantly. US should add a few 100k, to 0.8m or so. China will need to double again, to 6m+, to keep us ahead of that line on the log chart.