Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV drivetrains take twice as long to assemble as internal combustion engines

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually it's hard to say if Tesla has any advantage at all.
True, not sure that they do. Also not sure they don’t.

Overall the truck is very conventional which is disappointing. There is lots of optimization in the drivetrain which is where the magic is, but its not stuff that can easily be seen.

The cab is different for a production truck obviously, but its still basically a prototype at this point as the total produced so far is less than a single days output from a single factory for a conventional truck maker.

Really?

A recent study by researchers at Carnegie Mellon University found that manufacturing EV motors and batteries required roughly double as many man-hours as an internal combustion engine — up to 24 hours per machine.

“We were pretty surprised,” said Turner Cotterman, the lead on the report and currently an analyst at McKinsey & Co. “Across all scenarios we tested for … there was more labor in EV manufacturing than in [internal combustion] manufacturing.”

View attachment 989134

Link: Auto Wage Hikes Complicate the Search for an Affordable EV
someone must be primarily looking at the time it takes to develop the automation processes and discounting the downstream automation efficiency

Reactions: Quamera
If it takes you a few days to swing an engine, you need to work on your skills!!
I'm not talking about me but the average person who has their engine changed. Most shops want your car for a few days. Tesla service will do it in a couple of hours. After all the motor is about the size of a large watermelon with only a couple of connections.

Reactions: kayak1
I'm not talking about me but the average person who has their engine changed. Most shops want your car for a few days. Tesla service will do it in a couple of hours. After all the motor is about the size of a large watermelon with only a couple of connections.
the quoted article was about the environmental impact of manufacturing an EV motor / drivetrian vs ICE. NOT replacing/servicing.

the quoted article was about the environmental impact of manufacturing an EV motor / drivetrian vs ICE. NOT replacing/servicing.
I know that but the article was implying EV complexity which needs to be looked at in different ways otherwise the article isn't balanced.. For example what is the end result related to service? It's the same thing when fossil fuel supporters neglect to the include the full cost to actually deliver a gallon of gas to the local gas station by the tanker truck.

Reactions: bruce4000
I know that but the article was implying EV complexity which needs to be looked at in different ways otherwise the article isn't balanced.. For example what is the end result related to service? It's the same thing when fossil fuel supporters neglect to the include the full cost to actually deliver a gallon of gas to the local gas station by the tanker truck.
that article is a very flawed ivory tower assessment and the reporting on it just corrodes its credibility further.
it's a poor basis for any discussion, speculation, or truths.

Reactions: DomDeWild