Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Summon coming (Elon tweet 6 Apr, 2019)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Remember that FSD will also arrive by the end of 2019.
It's already here, in Alpha, demonstrable on pre-configured known routes. That counts, right? Right?

In seriousness though, even if Tesla's engineers do deem the FSD software ready for wide release, it's unlikely they'll push the metaphorical button on it until they actually get governmental sign-offs on it. And I imagine even once it's active, it won't be very widely used until and unless Tesla affirmatively, in writing, claims liability for FSD mishaps where the autonomous car is at-fault. Unless, of course, it's pushed at L3 autonomy, in which case the 'F' in FSD actually stands for 'Fancifully'.

He said “maybe” 10.1 as I recall. So literally there has been zero commitment to any timeframe on this, thankfully. Hopefully he’ll keep it that way. Most of the drama here revolves around timelines. There is an easy solution to that.

Yes this is a long way off. Even comments from Elon about it have been vague. This is more of a wishlist feature that people are wanting to believe is right around the corner because “you can just stitch together autopark and Smart Summon,” but simply isn’t.

To me it falls under the “next tier” of FSD features, what I like to think of as FSD+, the ones that will enable Level4/5, robotaxis, and automatic charging with snake arms, etc., NOT the features that will be in hand within 2019 and 2020.
You’ll be able to send your car to go find a parking spot pretty much when you’ll be able to send it to go pick up your nephew. Like years from now, realistically.

To me it falls under the “next tier” of FSD features, what I like to think of as FSD+, the ones that will enable Level4/5, robotaxis, and automatic charging with snake arms, etc., NOT the features that will be in hand within 2019 and 2020.
You’ll be able to send your car to go find a parking spot pretty much when you’ll be able to send it to go pick up your nephew. Like years from now, realistically.

As long as I get it with HW 2.5 without FSD, I'm cool with waiting as long as necessary! (Looking at the original Enhanced Autopilot description, sounds like that is a done deal! ;) I can expect it! Hooray! Well, perhaps it is a little more subtle than that...have to look for more screen captures I guess...)

Last edited:
You want Smart Park without paying for the FSD option? I am pretty sure Smart Park will require the FSD package.

This is the question (I have Enhanced AP). Looking at screen captures it looks like the S/X order page at the same time as Model 3 order page, with Enhanced Autopilot, clearly indicated parking in your garage ("be summoned to and from") when purchasing Enhanced Autopilot. More research would be needed, though I'm sure somewhere here can say more definitively what was promised to Model 3 EAP owners specifically.

Thus far Elon didn't indicate there was any hardware limitation to Smart Autopark so I expect it with EAP. There's no reason they would give it to S/X owners with HW2.5 but not to Model 3 owners (and it sounds like they are on the hook for the S/X owners...for whatever that is worth... :) ).

This was the first search result I found....a bit ambiguous, I know. There are probably other better screen captures of Model 3 EAP description specifically....

EAP difference between Model 3 and S/X - Tesla Owners Online

Anyway, we'll see. I don't see why there would be a hardware issue (since we know Smart Summon has to work with HW 2.5).

Yeah I’m not sure it’s ever been explicitly stated.

Well, it was for the S/X...so my expectation does not seem that unreasonable. And also Elon has stated it is coming without reference to HW limitations.

Mostly I just want it to park though. I'm cool without sending it to the garage. Just park between lines. And parallel park. That would be cool, and seems technically feasible given Enhanced Summon capabilities.

Looking at screen captures it looks like the S/X order page at the same time as Model 3 order page, with Enhanced Autopilot, clearly indicated parking in your garage ("be summoned to and from") when purchasing Enhanced Autopilot. More research would be needed, though I'm sure somewhere here can say definitively.

I think that might be wishful thinking. "self-park when near a parking spot" could be talking about the current Auto Park and "be summoned to and from" could easily be talking about Summon. I don't think it necessarily is talking about Smart Park. Yes, more research is needed.

Reactions: 82bert
I think that might be wishful thinking. "self-park when near a parking spot" could be talking about the current Auto Park and "be summoned to and from" could easily be talking about Summon. I don't think it necessarily is talking about Smart Park. Yes, more research is needed.

Agreed. Rereading it more carefully, it does seem like they are talking about Dumb Summon in the S/X order page.

Anyway. There is hope since Elon has not mentioned any such limitations for Smart Autopark. And obviously HW2.5 can do it.

Beat me to it diplomat. That’s precisely how I read it. Hence my point it’s not as explicit as you think.

Sure, as I said just above, I agree, but from a technical perspective there's not any reason it won't be implemented, based on what we know now.

It'll be interesting to have a car that can flawlessly navigate parking lots, cognizant of parking lines, with Enhanced Summon on HW2.5, yet is completely incapable of parking between lines. Seems somewhat improbable - but also possible that they'll just throw in the towel and move on to HW3 FSD feature development since I agree the delivery of Smart Park is not explicitly required based on quick research here.

Reactions: 82bert