Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Summon coming (Elon tweet 6 Apr, 2019)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gotta love how great the title of this thread looks in September:
Enhance summon coming next week! (Based on Elon tweet 6 Apr, 2019)

From The Book of Elon 1:1, US. English translation:
In the beginning, Elon brought forth Summon.
This is said to have taken seven days,
Which is quite a feat, as
Days are measured by the rotation of the Earth,
Which had not yet been invented.

• Funny
Reactions: eXntrc
At this point I would be happy to get the v10 update without the Smart Summon to get all the new and less intense updates instead.
In particular all of the new v10 autopilot updates.
Slamming tons of updates and new feature into one "V10" release seems harder on the software team vs incrementally adding updates as they are developed and tested. If their is a major system code re-write under the hood then I can understand the big kitchen sink update release.

Enhanced summonnis VERY cautious of pedestrians

Not so cautious when it comes to faded painted stop markers which are easily parsed by a human neural net, though! Hopefully in the state this test was conducted, it is not legally required to obey such markings on private property.

I really want to see it dealing with other traffic and turn the corner at this (3?)-way stop! It really asserted itself, charging into that intersection and coming to a halt. Bold!

Last edited:
Stupid me, for some reason I thought Smart Autopark would be a non-beta feature complete version of Autopark. Now I'm sad.

Stupid me. But now I am really confused by your statement. I know he said it is coming in 10.1...maybe...but do we know anything about its capabilities? There’s really no need for it to park without me in the car - I just want it to park itself without me having to actually do it. Is there actually going to be improvement in that? I would assume it will actually be a more feature complete (meaning it actually parks) version of the current (nearly non-functional) Autopark.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
I would assume it will actually be a more feature complete (meaning it actually parks) version of the current (nearly non-functional) Autopark.
The current autopark is very functional; I can trigger it 100% reliably unless one of the vehicles I wish to park between is sticking a lot further out than the other. But then, full parking situations notwithstanding, I prefer to park with open spots near me.

The current autopark is very functional; I can trigger it 100% reliably unless one of the vehicles I wish to park between is sticking a lot further out than the other. But then, full parking situations notwithstanding, I prefer to park with open spots near me.
Really? mine seems to have stopped working completely. Well I only look for it when parallel parking to be honest, but I haven't seen the P in a long time now.

The current autopark is very functional; I can trigger it 100% reliably unless one of the vehicles I wish to park between is sticking a lot further out than the other.

Sounds very robust! That’s the sort of situation that would stymie even the most advanced system. :rolleyes:

I guess the thread has gone to AutoPark again. But at least it is related to Enhanced Summon, in that it needs to be delivered in the working state to fully satisfy Enhanced Autopilot deliverables.

but do we know anything about its capabilities?

We know there's talk of using inertial measurements to navigate multi-level parking structures. What that actually means, I can't imagine. Because if you have a vision-based autonomous vehicle surely you'd just follow signs like a human does.

There’s really no need for it to park without me in the car - I just want it to park itself without me having to actually do it.

You're not thinking autonomous enough.

Is there actually going to be improvement in that? I would assume it will actually be a more feature complete (meaning it actually parks) version of the current (nearly non-functional) Autopark.

Oh, yeah, totally different feature. Autopark is just dumb parking using ultrasonics. I'm talking about the feature where you get out of your car at the entrance to the mall, and the car goes to find a place to park while you're inside. Coming in 10.1. Allegedly.

Thanks for the details. Hopefully they’ll really nail that “parking” part. And make sure it has a feature where it does not park next to anyone. And please do not forget fantastic parallel parking! That would be awesome, because that is actually challenging in some situations.

Coming in 10.1. Allegedly

He said “maybe” 10.1 as I recall. So literally there has been zero commitment to any timeframe on this, thankfully. Hopefully he’ll keep it that way. Most of the drama here revolves around timelines. There is an easy solution to that.