Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Summon coming (Elon tweet 6 Apr, 2019)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do we think using EAP/youtubers to do the testing is going to work? I hope they define test cases and criteria, and allocate them and track them with TBC. Never mind!

upload_2019-8-19_9-36-56.png

Enhanced Summon will be released to everyone when it is ready. Currently it is undergoing extensive testing with Early Access Program people. Why would you want it to be released before it is ready, just to make a date. Maybe Elon should have just said 'Soon'.

"Extensive testing". As in random people with zero testing protocol, almost all of whom have zero testing experience, trying to make their cars poorly navigate public spaces, enraging other cars that get blocked by slow moving or stopped driverless vehicles. Not a good testing plan.

Do we think using EAP/youtubers to do the testing is going to work? I hope they define test cases and criteria, and allocate them and track them with TBC. Never mind!/QUOTE]

I never trust anybody or anything that uses "trust me" as an argument. :D The initial public release, if it happens, is going to be an epic shitshow of people with zero training attempting to use a feature in completely unsupported ways. I look forward to the tsunami of complaints from owners and non-owners alike.

• Funny
Reactions: kavyboy
"Extensive testing". As in random people with zero testing protocol, almost all of whom have zero testing experience, trying to make their cars poorly navigate public spaces, enraging other cars that get blocked by slow moving or stopped driverless vehicles. Not a good testing plan.

But isn't that exactly how it will be used?

Sounds exciting to me. :)
I’m jealous I’m not part of the testing.

I’m pretty sure they are also testing it themselves also. :)

Like someone else on the forums said, what Elon says on twitter and in person doesn't mean anything, it's a flight of idea, he doesn't speak for the company. When it's released, it's released.

If that was the case, then Tesla wouldn't have been fined for an Elon tweet.

Also, from a past Tesla Quarterly Report...

"For additional information, please follow Elon Musk's and Tesla's Twitter accounts: twitter.com/elonmusk and twitter.com/TeslaMotors"

Tesla Motors Releases Third Quarter 2013 Financial Results | Tesla, Inc.

Reactions: MattUNI
If that was the case, then Tesla wouldn't have been fined for an Elon tweet.

Also, from a past Tesla Quarterly Report...

"For additional information, please follow Elon Musk's and Tesla's Twitter accounts: twitter.com/elonmusk and twitter.com/TeslaMotors"

Tesla Motors Releases Third Quarter 2013 Financial Results | Tesla, Inc.
But I'm a whiner for expecting the CEO to fulfill his promises on Twitter to existing Tesla owners, those who put down cold hard cash to support the company and buy their products. You're either a whiner buying Tesla products expecting Elon to tell the truth or Elon's statements on Twitter mean something.

Reactions: TT97
Like someone else on the forums said, what Elon says on twitter and in person doesn't mean anything, it's a flight of idea, he doesn't speak for the company. When it's released, it's released.

This is entirely wrong. Elon speaks as CEO of Tesla. There was an entire settlement with the SEC about it, and then a following settlement to refine the previous settlement. When he says Tesla will XYZ, he's speaking as an executive, which means the company is speaking. There have also been lawsuits regarding timelines and whether Tesla intentionally set an un-meetable timeline, or if they've misled investors regarding their progress meeting a timeline.

All of these things have consequences. Elon saying it'll be out 3 days ago, and that FSD will be feature complete by end of year is entirely incompatible with the statement that "When it's released, it's released."

... what Elon says on twitter and in person doesn't mean anything, it's a flight of idea, he doesn't speak for the company...

However, in the case of Enhanced Summon, the company has been claiming in its order page since March that the feature is currently available, not as "Coming later this year". The exact words are "Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really."

Really?

However, in the case of Enhanced Summon, the company has been claiming in its order page since March that the feature is currently available, not as "Coming later this year". The exact words are "Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really."

Really?
Exactly, the "reality distortion field" analogy with Elon. TMC members will rail against you if you challenge anything Tesla says, and if they say it (or their CEO says it) and doesn't deliver, then that is the way it is supposed to be. Cult behavior. Still love my Tesla Model 3, but still.

You know this, or you are just stating that you believe this to be fact ?
Well Elon promised on at least two occasions on Twitter that FSD purchasers (before all the craziness of discounts earlier this eyar) would get Early Access, even saying he would fix it. Still waiting for that Early Access or even earlier access to updates. According to TeslaFi, which gives approximate update percentages based on their monitored fleet of Tesla Vehicles, 52.7% of Tesla Model 3's are on the 28.x series and the rest are on a lesser version. It'd seem logical that someone who bought FSD last year or prior who was getting "early access" would be in the first 50% of updates. Still waiting.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Well Elon promised on at least two occasions on Twitter that FSD purchasers (before all the craziness of discounts earlier this eyar) would get Early Access, even saying he would fix it. Still waiting for that Early Access or even earlier access to updates. According to TeslaFi, which gives approximate update percentages based on their monitored fleet of Tesla Vehicles, 52.7% of Tesla Model 3's are on the 28.x series and the rest are on a lesser version. It'd seem logical that someone who bought FSD last year or prior who was getting "early access" would be in the first 50% of updates. Still waiting.
Same. 24.4 here.

If we get our not so sucky Enhanced summoned by end of this year I will be happy with "reasonable" expectations with 'Elon timeline" I rather it be a bit safer than be rushed.

I think the issue being ignored here is that in order to navigate a parking lot safely, the FSD problem needs to be solved. Parking lots have all of the problems that driving on roads have, with the added chaos of fewer people obeying the "rules of the road", there are no traffic control devices, and the pedestrian-to-vehicle ratio is extremely high.

In other words, if you can make a car drive safely and similar to a person in a parking lot, then you've in effect solved self driving. So either Tesla plans on releasing a half-baked, likely dangerous product to the wild, or they're going to find reason after reason why releasing this is a bad idea. My bet is on the latter, if the legal department has any say whatsoever.