Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I purchase enhanced autopilot for my new model Y and Tesla does eventually get regulatory approval for autonomous driving, will the $6,000 I'm paying allow my vehicle to drive on the highway without supervision? Has Tesla provided any clarification on this?

If I purchase enhanced autopilot for my new model Y and Tesla does eventually get regulatory approval for autonomous driving, will the $6,000 I'm paying allow my vehicle to drive on the highway without supervision? Has Tesla provided any clarification on this?

No. Enhanced Autopilot is not FSD. It will always require driver supervision. Removing driver supervision will only be for FSD owners, if Tesla gets regulatory approval (big if). So you need to purchase FSD.

But IMO, it is very unlikely that even FSD will be no supervision anytime soon.

Upvote 0
  • Navigate on Autopilot: Actively guides your car from a highway’s on-ramp to off-ramp, including suggesting lane changes, navigating interchanges, automatically engaging the turn signal and taking the correct exit.

So today this is what EAP offers, on ramp to off ramp with supervision. You don't think this includes without supervision if that is ever available?

Upvote 0
So today this is what EAP offers, on ramp to off ramp with supervision. You don't think this includes without supervision if that is ever available?

No, I don't. Tesla has only said that FSD will someday be no supervision. Tesla has said nothing about NOA removing supervision someday for EAP owners. Do not assume that. That is how Tesla owners get disappointed when they assume things that Tesla has never said.

Upvote 0
Tesla has said very clearly that all its cars, starting from October 2016 or 7 years ago, are now equipped with all the necessary hardware to drive on their own without any humans inside, and you could summon your car from across the continent; it would come to you autonomously, charged all by its own in between.

How much more clarification do you need?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you are looking to Tesla for answers you won’t get any. And that should tell you all you need to know.

Upvote 0
Here is a good chart that explains it.

SAE J3016 LEVELS  DRIVING AUTOMATION.png

Upvote 0
.....In the end - as some stated - you can't rely fully on the AP, EAP or FSD. You won't be able to rely on those for a long time.

Having said that - even standard AP is a game changer. It does 90% of the work one normally does while driving.
As of now AP, EAP and FSD Beta are ALL L2 systems. At some point Tesla says they will deliver at least a L3 system for FSD. However AP and EAP will ALWAYS be 100% L2 systems.

Upvote 0
As of now AP, EAP and FSD Beta are ALL L2 systems. At some point Tesla says they will deliver at least a L3 system for FSD. However AP and EAP will ALWAYS be 100% L2 systems.
No mention of L3. Only L4 or L5 is mentioned for 2023:

Speaking at the 2023 World Artificial Intelligence Conference in Shanghai, China on Thursday, (via Electrek) Musk said that he thinks Tesla is "very close to achieving full self-driving without human supervision" and will "achieve full self-driving, maybe what you would call (level) four or five, I think later this year."

Reactions: MossDaddy
Upvote 0
No mention of L3. Only L4 or L5 is mentioned for 2023:....
Yes, but sometimes it is just called Full Self Driving which could be L3. The main point of course is the ABSOLUTE differentiator between a L2 to a L3 system.

Having said that I very much doubt we will EVER have a L4 system. L3 is a possibility but L5 is NOT a chance in hell or "end of the year" whichever comes first. 🤣

Upvote 0
Tesla has said very clearly that all its cars, starting from October 2016 or 7 years ago, are now equipped with all the necessary hardware to drive on their own without any humans inside, and you could summon your car from across the continent; it would come to you autonomously, charged all by its own in between.

How much more clarification do you need?
Having the necessary hardware for autonomous driving doesn't mean the you'll be able to drive autonomously without paying for the FSD option, and Tesla never suggested otherwise.

Reactions: Grabthar
Upvote 0
Tesla policy has been to include all the hardware necessary for FSD standard with their cars. Includes computer and sensors.
They also provide, at no additional cost, a very effective Autopilot system to provide cruise control and lane centering.
If you wish, you can spend additional $ to upgrade that to a more capable autopilot.
If you wish, you can spend even more additional $ to upgrade to their FSD capability.

None of these will enable owners to "let the car do all the driving". You will still need to keep your hands on the wheel and be ready to assume FMC (Full Manual Control) at any moment you feel that would make you better off.

Upvote 0
This is conjecture of course, but I can envision a day where the old EAP code base is replaced by a highway-restricted FSD. So why couldn’t it be Level 3 if that version is certified for it?

Upvote 0
This is conjecture of course, but I can envision a day where the old EAP code base is replaced by a highway-restricted FSD. So why couldn’t it be Level 3 if that version is certified for it?
The code will be replace eventually but it will be limited it its abilities and NOT be L3 since that would make EAP Full Self Driving even though it is not FSD. Why would Tesla offer L3 at 2 price points? I have my doubts that FSD Beta will ever make L3 anyway and will probably be a continuing "work in progress" improving L2 system for years to come. It could become an extremely competent L2 system than can almost always get you point to point.

Even if FSD Beta makes 50 state L3 regulatory approval that is MANY years from now and a complex and time consuming operation. So even then your fantasy of having EAP as a FSD L3 system is likely a decade away at best.

Also L3 and up is about regulatory, liability and legal definitions and not just about driving abilities. In fact safety is not even mentioned in the J3

Of course if we fast forward about 25 years it is likely that ALL new cars will be L5 as standard.

Upvote 0
I think of EAP as buying an option on autonomous highway driving for $6,000 if it ever happens. FSD is buying an option on a fully autonomous vehicle capable of driving on city streets and as a robotaxi. Whether they get there is questionable. Otherwise you are paying $6k for auto lane changing. That makes zero sense.

Reactions: RTPEV
Upvote 0