Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I purchase enhanced autopilot for my new model Y and Tesla does eventually get regulatory approval for autonomous driving, will the $6,000 I'm paying allow my vehicle to drive on the highway without supervision? Has Tesla provided any clarification on this?

Otherwise you are paying $6k for auto lane changing. That makes zero sense.

Many technology changes when first exposed make zero sense. I remember thinking that when cameras were added to cellphones. It’s best to make personal judgments and avoid pointing out others are different. Otherwise the risk is a variation of “egg-on-the-face”.

When NOA came out and I was driving on the expressway I found it very useful for distance driving.

Subscribing for a month or two could give you personal experience in how it can be used during your drives.

It requires faith to buy FSD now. I bought it to help fund its development. I am receiving value from my purchases.

Reactions: Optimeer
Upvote 0
Many technology changes when first exposed make zero sense. I remember thinking that when cameras were added to cellphones.
My best example of this was the Dish Network WebTV PVR (it wasn't called a DVR back then). Its capacity was 4 hours of standard definition TV, so practically speaking, it was really only useful for doing minimal time shifting. The hard drive would fill up pretty quickly if used the way we use DVRs today.

But that was just the start, and of course now the DVR has completely transformed the way we watch TV (well, at least until streaming came along).

However, I have certainly not seen the same transformation in Tesla's offering, and I have had EAP (or later FSD) since I got the car 5 years ago. NoA was kinda cool at first, but I don't really use it any more because it's lane changing algorithm got to be annoying (well technically I don't have a choice now because on highways I now get FSD and I the best I can do is minimize lane changes).

I agree that the one benefit I get above and beyond AP is the automatic lane changes (driver initiated). Using it for 5 years, I have become quite comfortable in its ability to see vehicles that maybe even I can't see. But that's about it. It has not transformed my driving experience in the same way that DVRs have transformed the TV watching experience.

And by the way, I think the part that @ncoronado was talking about not making sense was the cost...and I agree. The same level of functionality (or at least very close) is available in other car makes for a lot less money. I'd pay $2000 or maybe even $3000 in a stretch for being able to have autosteer with the ability to change lanes by using the turn signal. Anything else that EAP offers has been a disappointment and I can't see paying $6000 for it.

Reactions: Konicom04
Upvote 0
My best example of this was the Dish Network WebTV PVR (it wasn't called a DVR back then). Its capacity was 4 hours of standard definition TV, so practically speaking, it was really only useful for doing minimal time shifting. The hard drive would fill up pretty quickly if used the way we use DVRs today.

But that was just the start, and of course now the DVR has completely transformed the way we watch TV (well, at least until streaming came along).

However, I have certainly not seen the same transformation in Tesla's offering, and I have had EAP (or later FSD) since I got the car 5 years ago. NoA was kinda cool at first, but I don't really use it any more because it's lane changing algorithm got to be annoying (well technically I don't have a choice now because on highways I now get FSD and I the best I can do is minimize lane changes).

I agree that the one benefit I get above and beyond AP is the automatic lane changes (driver initiated). Using it for 5 years, I have become quite comfortable in its ability to see vehicles that maybe even I can't see. But that's about it. It has not transformed my driving experience in the same way that DVRs have transformed the TV watching experience.

And by the way, I think the part that @ncoronado was talking about not making sense was the cost...and I agree. The same level of functionality (or at least very close) is available in other car makes for a lot less money. I'd pay $2000 or maybe even $3000 in a stretch for being able to have autosteer with the ability to change lanes by using the turn signal. Anything else that EAP offers has been a disappointment and I can't see paying $6000 for it.

Agree,
have EAP and standard AP on two different cars and cant justify spending 6K to upgrade to EAP. It would be nice to have, but for me the stalk initiated lane change just isn't the 6K upgrade.
Having said that - it feels like a ton of things changed since my first road trip in March ( 2023 M3P with EAP). Things are way smoother now, slow down / acceleration is less "teenage like", no wiper dry wipes, generally far more intuitive and gowned up experience.
This past weekend drove 300 miles in MYP ( standard AP) and not one wipe, not one PB, even tho windshield was infested with bugs

Reactions: RTPEV
Upvote 0