Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Autopilot: Future discounts (or free?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I held off on ordering EAP for my Model 3 because, having never experienced it, I couldn't justify the cost. It's comforting knowing that the hardware is already there, and that got me thinking:

Is there any precedent for Tesla offering discounts or changing their policy on non-hardware upgrades? For example, you used to have to pay extra for use of the Supercharger network when you bought a Model S, but I seem to recall a time when buying a Model S would get you access to the supercharger network for life. What happened to the previous Model S owners who opted not to pay for access to the Supercharger network?

Do you think it's likely that, at some point in the future, buying a Model 3 will come with EAP standard (in order to remain competitive)? In that case, what is going to happen to folks like me who opted to defer our purchase of the functionality?

The question keeps coming up where people try to justify why Tesla should, or will lower the cost of AP. Right now, the feature is in such demand that there is no way they are going to lower it either for new purchases or for previous buyers.

Someday, who knows. If the Model 3 demand starts to lag and they need a big way to increase demand they very well might drop the price of AP. If they make it standard though, I'd expect them to still charge previous owners.

As for past history, Supercharging was free on the 85s, on the 60s it was a $2.5k option. Even when they made it standard it they didn't give it to previous owners for free. That was eons ago in Tesla time though, no way to know what they will do in the future.

Is there any precedent for Tesla offering discounts or changing their policy on non-hardware upgrades?
The only precedent that I can remember regarding software options pricing is Autopilot, it used to cost 2500$ and another $500 if not activated when you purchased the car, and it now costs 5000$ and another 1000$ to activate if not purchased with the car.
So based on the precedents I wouldn't say there is not a great chance of it being discounted much less free in the future.

Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
There is prevent for price changes. In August 2016, the price of Autopilot INCREASED $500 to $2500 at ordering or $3000 after delivery. And then EAP was announced and priced at $4000/$5000.

As for Superchargers, those that had early cars and had to pay were literally paying for a hardware upgrade. Once those Models S had the hardware, Supercharging was free. Until recently, when new cars came with a limited amount of free Supercharging and had to pay for anything beyond that.

Conversely, when Tesla lowered the price of the 75kWh battery pack, they also lowered the price of battery upgrade unlocks for those that had software-limited packs. If you'd already paid for an upgrade, there was no refunding of the difference.

Do not make any decisions based on what Tesla might do in the future — you might not like what they do.

• Informative
Reactions: piercebot
I don't think so...Tesla is purported to reward their most loyal buyers, and that would be the opposite (I.E. a smack in the face).
First off, speaking as someone who owns two, Tesla has rarely (if ever?) rewarded its most loyal buyers.

Regardless how could charging you exactly what they advertised they were going to charge you ever be considered a smack in the face? I don't understand these threads where people seem to think that Tesla should just be giving away AP to them for various reasons of 'loyalty'. They're a business, and AP is one of their most desirable products.

As for Superchargers, those that had early cars and had to pay were literally paying for a hardware upgrade. Once those Models S had the hardware, Supercharging was free. Until recently, when new cars came with a limited amount of free Supercharging and had to pay for anything beyond that.
Not correct. All Model S had supercharging hardware and software in the car. The 85s had use of it included in the price. The 60s had to pay $2000 to activate it, or $2500 later. It was analogous to all cars are being built with autopilot hardware but having to pay to activate it.

When supercharging was announced Elon said the option on 60s was to install it, then before any 60s were actually delivered he surprised everyone by saying that all 60s actually had it built into the car and it just had to be activated. This was said to maintain resale value of the car, but probably just for ease of manufacturing.

First off, speaking as someone who owns two, Tesla has rarely (if ever?) rewarded its most loyal buyers.

Regardless how could charging you exactly what they advertised they were going to charge you ever be considered a smack in the face? I don't understand these threads where people seem to think that Tesla should just be giving away AP to them for various reasons of 'loyalty'. They're a business, and AP is one of their most desirable products.
I hope you can understand that I was trying to respond to the question posed by the OP in the subject title (which I answered in the negative). I should've used the quote feature, but look at our timestamps (they are practically identical). The most loyal buyers are those who fork out the extra money for features that are either underdeveloped or not even unveiled yet. If they just give the feature away (which we both agree is unlikely to happen), it would simply create resentment for those who forked out money for the feature in the first place. Please remove your dislike, I get enough of those for having the wrong political opinions. ;)

Reactions: jaguar36
When Full Self Driving actually does what they want it to I suspect it could be something like a $10k option or $12k after delivery. EAP might go for 8/10 at that point.

One reason (among many) traditional automakers didn't want to build EVs was they didn't think that they could make any money at it- and probably still don't! With all the cars having the hardware EAP and FSD are just testing/programming expenses and drive the profit per unit up significantly which isn't a bad thing for EVs that have to compete with ICE vehicles with over 100 years of improving efficiency in manufacturing. It also helps improve the profit on CPOs as any car that the customer didn't elect to get EAP on becomes one and gains 5 grand in value at the flip of a switch! That's pretty damn smart if you ask me!

Reactions: pilotSteve
Since EAP has been improving, and should continue to improve, the value of the option is also increasing.

Unlike a static or hardware feature (like unlocking the 60Kwh batteries) which basically degrades in value as new stuff gets better and better, EAP has grounds for increasing price over time.

For us, the payment plan for our Model S looked much better with out autopilot so we drove away happy. As of last month and with over 20,000 miles on the car in that very short time I felt that maybe we are missing out. For the most part, I'm glad that I waited to learn as much as we did about the car incrementally . I must say I have no regrets after making the hefty purchase. It's like having a new car all over again. With autopilot comes all the fun features of auto parking with the double press of the park button, perpendicular parking and the traffic adjusting cruse control. I find it interesting that when stuck in traffic even at a stop you can activate autopilot and the car moves with traffic on it's own. Was it a huge expense? Yes. heck my Moto Guzzi was about the same price. Does the price keep going up? Yes. Is it worth it, absolutely! With as much work that is in play, how advance the system is with technology and a Deep learning Neural Network, I feel the money is well spent in making an awesome feature better with time.

Reactions: WattMobile