Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't bring Transgender as a topic. I brought - fake lying fraud media & politicians getting exposed in Twitter everyday - as the topic. And I just picked four examples that stumbled on my feed in a matter of just one hour.

- NPR getting exposed on their woke bias
- NYT being lazy and not even doing very very basic rudimentary fact checks on a culinary article.
- Dem politician Ro Khanna lying through his teeth and was caught with his pants down.
- Musk being called out on his idiotic tweet on Pelosi

All on Twitter to showcase, Twitter is the medium that one can sift the chaff from the wheat. Noise from signal. Truth from lies. it just take a bit of patience to learn how to do that, but can be done.

So, public town squares are where everyone can speak equally, but if you pay a monthly fee then your voice is more equal than others.
But, is it more important to speak equally or to listen equally?

With mainstream media most of the GOOD sources are behind paywalls of some sort. So you can't even be a truly informed person unless you have the means to pay.

What I liked about twitter BEFORE Elon came along was that it allowed access to breaking news from people close to what was happening. I knew that if I spent some time compiling good list of sources that I could become a very informed person. Sure I'd have to filter a lot of the false information out myself, but at least I had access.

I don't know what will become of twitter after Elon burns it to the ground and builds something new, but for a platform to truly be a good townhall it needs to allow people to listen/speak equally regardless of income levels.

Reactions: aubreymcfato
What I liked about twitter BEFORE Elon came along was that it allowed access to breaking news from people close to what was happening. I knew that if I spent some time compiling good list of sources that I could become a very informed person. Sure I'd have to filter a lot of the false information out myself, but at least I had access.
How has that changed? My feed is getting better and better that I am seeing replies from blue checks more than people and bots who create noise and add very little value.

I didn't bring Transgender as a topic. I brought - fake lying fraud media & politicians getting exposed in Twitter everyday - as the topic. And I just picked four examples that stumbled on my feed in a matter of just one hour.

- NPR getting exposed on their woke bias
- NYT being lazy and not even doing very very basic rudimentary fact checks on a culinary article.
- Dem politician Ro Khanna lying through his teeth and was caught with his pants down.
- Musk being called out on his idiotic tweet on Pelosi

All on Twitter to showcase, Twitter is the medium that one can sift the chaff from the wheat. Noise from signal. Truth from lies. it just take a bit of patience to learn how to do that, but can be done.
You didn't share your sources of truth and you didn't unsubscribe as you claimed.
Why should we believe a word you say?
There's a word that comes to mind...

How do you get a tech company worth $20 billion? Buy one for $44 billion and make radical changes.

Back on topic, at least folks working there now can get equity (there were no reports earlier of anything other than promises (that some folks weren't even around long enough to see). Problem is as a startup, seems like this is a pointless exercise and you might as well work for some lower valuation real startup. It's possible Twitter can eventually be worth hundreds of billions, but that's not today. Has there been any cases of "inverse start-ups" truly making it?

For the employees there, from articles I've read, even if you were truly hardcore and worship Elon, you might not even be around long enough to see anything through no possible fault of your own (get fired randomly or more cost cutting).

As I've mentioned, this could also be done to go BK or renegotiate debt and retain folks still there, but in BK, the options/stock is worthless anyways normally.

Reactions: DrGriz
How do you get a tech company worth $20 billion? Buy one for $44 billion and make radical changes.

Back on topic, at least folks working there now can get equity (there were no reports earlier of anything other than promises (that some folks weren't even around long enough to see). Problem is as a startup, seems like this is a pointless exercise and you might as well work for some lower valuation real startup. It's possible Twitter can eventually be worth hundreds of billions, but that's not today. Has there been any cases of "inverse start-ups" truly making it?

For the employees there, from articles I've read, even if you were truly hardcore and worship Elon, you might not even be around long enough to see anything through no possible fault of your own (get fired randomly or more cost cutting).

As I've mentioned, this could also be done to go BK or renegotiate debt and retain folks still there, but in BK, the options/stock is worthless anyways normally.

Yes. There are many examples of inverse startups succeeding. Many businesses during the Great Recession flawlessly executed the inverse startup model and reduced their value to $0.

I'm assuming that's what an "inverse startup" is. An existing company basically being run into the ground. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the term.

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz
My feed is getting better and better that I am seeing replies from blue checks more than people and bots who create noise and add very little value.
Blue check means nothing more than someone paid $8 to feel special, means nothing at all to me, and I never saw much of a bot problem so I don't notice much of a difference there.

I dunno how much of that was the changes he’s made. The bigger issues are probably that he overpaid to begin with, and also bought as the value was falling. He probably hasn’t helped, but, like the damage he’s done to the Tesla brand with his Twitter antics, it would be pretty hard to quantify....

Enough to have 733 pages and 14650+ posts in this thread, and at least one article per day on average on Arstechnica.

In my parents era they had soap operas and in my era we have Elon and Twitter.

Like clockwork...

Report: Twitter secretly boosted accounts instead of treating everyone equally

“My prediction is that this will be the only platform you can trust,” Musk tweeted, shortly after declaring that when it comes to amplifying tweets, “there shouldn’t be a different standard for celebrities imo.”

While Twitter accounts with legacy check marks brace for these reported changes—which some users have described as akin to “shadowbanning” free users—Platformer reported that Twitter has still been showing a clear preference to some of its most high-profile users. A secret list of 35 Twitter power users whose accounts are marked VIP currently enjoy increased visibility in feeds, with engineers reportedly even going so far as to tweak code to ensure that they show up in the "For You" tab.

Among them are Twitter accounts for NBA player LeBron James, Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.), Twitter investor Marc Andreessen, the Tesla community account, and President Joe Biden. Popular Twitter accounts run by @dril, comedian Jaboukie Young-White, and YouTube star MrBeast are also boosted. Same goes for accounts for conservative commentators Ben Shapiro and @Catturd2 and accounts for journalists Matt Yglesias, Glenn Greenwald, Noah Smith, and Adrian Wojnarowski.

According to Platformer, Twitter began boosting these accounts after Musk noticed his own Twitter engagement seemed off, griping to engineers because Biden got more views on his Super Bowl tweet than Musk did. The engineers’ goal in creating the secret list was to monitor these accounts and study how changes in Twitter’s recommendation algorithm impacted power user engagement and visibility on the platform.

I would just like to remind everyone of the ignore feature here on this board. Like twitter, you can hide/ignore other people (to varying degrees of success though of course), but it will help improve the experience here in this thread and elsewhere on this board to be slightly less smelly.

Reactions: Dave EV
Allegedly, Twitter is being weaponized by pro fossil-fuel agents:
snapshots_compare_005.png

Source: Musk is remaking Twitter into a climate denier sanctuary

Even taking this research with a grain of salt, after months we can safely say that Elon botched quite a few things in his Twitter acquisitions.
I personally have Twitter Blue, and I kind like some functionality (long texts, long videos and edit above all). Technically, I would say that Twitter Blue is better than Twitter before. No questions about that. Engineering side, Elon did a lot of things right.

But the marketing/communication campaign has been a disaster. Elon has been having knee-jerk reaction in public, has been making promises and then didn't comply (remember about "every major policy change will be subject to a poll?).
Now, with the new changes the poll will be for Blue users. Blue is being marketed, by and large, to Elon supporters, which in this political environment now are all leaning right.
So much for the "centrist" approach. Even if he wanted to do that, I feel that he simply failed to achieve this goal.

Allegedly, Twitter is being weaponized by pro fossil-fuel agents:
snapshots_compare_005.png

Source: Musk is remaking Twitter into a climate denier sanctuary

Even taking this research with a grain of salt, after months we can safely say that Elon botched quite a few things in his Twitter acquisitions.
I personally have Twitter Blue, and I kind like some functionality (long texts, long videos and edit above all). Technically, I would say that Twitter Blue is better than Twitter before. No questions about that. Engineering side, Elon did a lot of things right.

But the marketing/communication campaign has been a disaster. Elon has been having knee-jerk reaction in public, has been making promises and then didn't comply (remember about "every major policy change will be subject to a poll?).
Now, with the new changes the poll will be for Blue users. Blue is being marketed, by and large, to Elon supporters, which in this political environment now are all leaning right.
So much for the "centrist" approach. Even if he wanted to do that, I feel that he simply failed to achieve this goal.
Greta had 5.8m followers and rarely tweets.
PeterDClack account suspended.
WallStreetSilv has only 750k followers. This is his last climate related tweet (10 more recent were not climate related). Seems to be coming from a Wall Street perspective and not anti climate.

Cherry picked data.

I wish more people would voice criticism of things they don’t like about Tesla such as build quality issues or poor customer service. It’s the only way to pressure companies to change. As long as people accept or even defend these problem points, there’s no reason for Tesla to change. (Round steering wheel).

Twitter to no longer only promote paid-for accounts after backlash

Twitter has reversed course on plans to limit presence on its “for you” timeline to paying users only, with Elon Musk claiming he “forgot to mention” that other users would be visible as well.

When the company’s owner first announced the plan on Tuesday he said it would limit the tab that algorithmically curates tweets for users to only display accounts who had paid £8 a month for “Twitter Blue” and linked their account to a working phone number.

Musk said restricting it to those subscribers, who will be the only “verified” users on the site after Twitter closes its “legacy” verification program on Saturday, was “the only realistic way to address advanced AI bot swarms taking over”.
The announcement was met with a backlash from many users, however, and later that day Musk said in a second tweet: “Forgot to mention that accounts you follow directly will also be in For You, since you have explicitly asked for them.”

Since its launch under Musk, as a rebranded version of the pre-existing “recommended” feed, the for you tab has proved controversial. It is more aggressively curated than its predecessor, regularly inserting tweets from accounts the user does not follow, and has a noted predilection for pushing tweets from a small number of prominent accounts into as many feeds as possible: such as Menswear commentator @dieworkwear, conservative commentator Ben Shapiro and almost every public post from Musk himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.