Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Tweet: Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious. Couple of you folks who are current Model S owners are saying you're going to buy Model 3s. Would this be as a second car? Or "downgrading?" Model S too big for your needs/tastes? Some other reason I'm not thinking of atm?
I'm not a current Model S owner, but plan to get one next year in December, a little bit before my LEAF lease is up. I'm actually in the other camp, should probably only consider the 3, but going to make the stretch for the S. I really want that magical spaceship and I can't imagine that a steel body car made for $35k will anywhere close to the same class. I'm also impatient.

Maybe when I see the reveal next year I'll change my mind and put in a reservation. Who knows.

Just curious. Couple of you folks who are current Model S owners are saying you're going to buy Model 3s. Would this be as a second car? Or "downgrading?" Model S too big for your needs/tastes? Some other reason I'm not thinking of atm?

Replace the second car to be a Tesla only household. Wife has a 2010 Prius (purchased in 2009) with 100k miles on it. Still in good shape but by the time the Model 3 is in production we would be looking to replace it and after owning a Model S for a while, I'm not very interested in looking at anything else. The timing is perfect for replacing the Prius at 9 years and likely well over 150k miles by then (she has to drive a lot for work).

I would like to get one for a second car. The timing might just be right since my wife's ICE car will be 10-11 years old by then and ready to go. There is no way I would get rid of my S - unless pried from my cold dead hands.

No reservation on "$35k" version. Once you get called to configure you can opt for leather, bigger battery, Pano roof, AWD whatever your heart desires and wallet can tolerate.

I disagree on this point. It is important for Tesla to show the world that there is lots of demand for this car. 200,000+ reservations would do that. That shows sales of over $7 billion waiting to happen. That would get as much money as necessary for Tesla to complete everything they need to do to get the Model 3 to full production.

Also to take into account in the US market will be the people hoping to catch the tail end of the federal tax credit before it starts phasing out. I know its been discussed but don't know the "math" of how soon after Model 3 production starts it will start phasing phase out. That might be an incentive to go for the Sig (if they offer it) to try to get the full credit maybe?

There will be many who will rush to place a deposit with the intention to get the full or partial $7,500 tax credit if they take delivery early. Those that wait will likely miss out and kick themselves for not placing a reservation early enough. As we approach March this will become better understood and the number of early reservations will soar. Like many others I will make a reservation on the first day assuming Tesla's web site doesn't crash.

not that i think it'll happen but... not really. everyone can get it, but past supporters get first dibs

They didn't give S owners any priority on X. I think it's unlikely they give existing owners any priority on 3.

Besides, you guys can already afford to have your Tesla fun. Most of us 3 buyers have been waiting years, stuck with our ICEs until Tesla builds us a car we can afford. :wink:

not that i think it'll happen but... not really. everyone can get it, but past supporters get first dibs

It's not that it's a true physical barrier to anyone, but it sounds snobbish. It's a perception thing. "Finally, here's an electric car for the regular citizen! But, people who demonstrably have tons of money get to be at the head of the line." And the masses grumble about privileges of the rich, including the ability to suck up the remaining tax credits while people for whom it would be more important lose out, as with so many other things. I don't think Tesla will want to give that kind of impression, even if it doesn't have much merit in real life. (I don't really think all that many S and X owners will jump on board.)

But they will do what they will do. I will be reserving at the earliest opportunity, regardless. I hope my current car can hold out!

I think that the Model 3 will be a more straightforward car and so less likely to experience the 'Tesla time' effect on the release date. The margins are smaller so the car needs to be simple to make, no tricky falcon doors or tricky rear seats like the Model X. No first time inexperience like with the Roadster and S. Construction costs should be lower, much lower, and as long as Tesla can manage the construction bottlenecks like paint shop and battery availability I'd expect this car to be delivered close to 'on time'. The company will need to hit the ground running with deliveries because the margin per car will be much lower so they will be relying on volume to make money. Much like Apple does with MacBooks and MacBook Pros, they may produce several standard option combinations and these will then have short delivery waits, special options will likely take longer.

About 2 years? So that means at least 3 years, and add a bit to that. 2019 it is then!

(Which would suck, since I'd like them to be producing an el cheapo version earlier so I can get one several months before the warranty on my Prius' battery runs out in December 2019).

Just curious. Couple of you folks who are current Model S owners are saying you're going to buy Model 3s. Some other reason I'm not thinking of atm?

I'm similar to the others. We are a two car household. Bought my wife a Plugin Prius to get CA HOV stickers necessary for her work commute before I got my S. 2017 or so is a good time to replace the Prius with her next car, and a 3 fits the bill.

She tells me I can't get her an S, nor could I drive her to work in my S, because it's a nicer car than her bosses' and if they found out she would never get a raise again. But a 3 should be just right.

For me it's the size. The Model S is a great car and I love mine. But it is the size of a small aircraft carrier and way to big for just my wife and me. We would downgrade our S85 to a fully loaded P-Model 3 with a top of the line battery.

I hope that by the time T≡sla releases the Model ≡, they will have uncorked those 259hp motors to 300hp+ for 600hp+ in the D version. Now that the flagship P90D is capable of a 10.9 sec 1/4 mile, that gives a little more wiggle room for the M3 to be a bottom 11-sec car right out the box. Of course if they're going to turn up the wick on that motor for the M3, they'll probably do it for the S as well, so that 10.9 sec now will be a bit quicker still.

They didn't give S owners any priority on X. I think it's unlikely they give existing owners any priority on 3.

Besides, you guys can already afford to have your Tesla fun. Most of us 3 buyers have been waiting years, stuck with our ICEs until Tesla builds us a car we can afford. :wink:
Previous owners (Roadster and S) kinda did get a priority -- if you showed up at the unveil event you could literally be first (or second, in the case of one person active on these boards) in line to place a deposit.

Kinda tempted to do that for myself, tho also a bit tempted to just wait it out. The 2020 Model 3 might be the car for me. :smile:

Strongly considering adding a 3 to our family to replace something. We've just added our 3rd driver, and currently have 4 cars -- our Model S, a minivan, a wagon, and a 2 seat convertible.

The wagon is more than 10 years old and highly likely to go with someone to college, or to the next teen driver down the line. The minivan has been essential, but might not be as essential as the kids age (and it ages -- it's also more than 10 years old). The convertible is purely for fun, and is not a 4 seasons car around here. The Model S is more than we need as a daily commuter car, but we weren't interested in any of the shorter range electrics on the market, and we needed the passenger capacity for at least the next couple of years. The 3 will be a much better fit for our shorter commute, shrinking household, but it might not have the road trip range that we love. I don't see any chance of downgrading the S, though.

Previous owners (Roadster and S) kinda did get a priority -- if you showed up at the unveil event you could literally be first (or second, in the case of one person active on these boards) in line to place a deposit.

Kinda tempted to do that for myself, tho also a bit tempted to just wait it out. The 2020 Model 3 might be the car for me. :smile:

Exactly. Plus if there's a signature queue you can still pay to jump the line mere mortal or not.

I seriously hope the launch doesn't turn into a bunch of "them vs us" nonsense.