Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says no Central Speedometer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the video and now I'm 100% sure the LCD screen in the RC is not final. Take a look at the right hand during the crash. Say goodbye to your right hand in a Model 3 if you get in a crash if the LCD screen is there. Take a look at side impact and overlap videos and they all show the right hand swing.
Your hand would hit a flat surface... not a big deal.

Reactions: BluestarE3
Even if the display weren't there, wouldn't you likewise say "goodbye to your right hand" when it hits the dashboard as seen in that video?
That's another interpretation. I presumed he meant the hand will be cut clean off (versus just smacking a surface as in the video). Either way, doesn't seem like a valid argument.

I get that some people don't like the non-integrated screen, but these points really seem like throwing things in the air to see what sticks. Tesla is aiming for a 5 star rating with the Model 3. They definitely will have considered these points in the design.

Reactions: N5329K
The point is, there is a regulation about intrusions or sharp edges of interior in EU.
ECE R21 INTERIOR FITTINGS 01-S3

I don't think current version will pass rules like:
The lower edge of the instrument panel shall, unless it meets the requirements of paragraph 5.1.2. above, be rounded to a radius of curvature of not less than 19 mm.
Their surface terminates in rounded edges, the radii of curvature being not less than 3.2 mm

The point is, there is a regulation about intrusions or sharp edges of interior in EU.

The lower edge of the instrument panel shall, unless it meets the requirements of paragraph 5.1.2. above, be rounded to a radius of curvature of not less than 19 mm.
Their surface terminates in rounded edges, the radii of curvature being not less than 3.2 mm
No instrument panel in Model 3 ... problem solved

Link to ECE R21. This is some "interesting" reading.

Edit: since most of the section 5 relates to the reference zone, as defined in section 2.3 as head-impact zone, and 5.1.3 you cited above relates to the instrument panel. My interpretation is that this section is referring to the area in front of the drive, and the instrument panel is referring to the instrument cluster behind the steering wheel, and the intent of 5.1.3 is that the lower edge of the instrument panel not have sharp edges so the driver won't get hurt if his/her leg runs into it below the steering wheel.

Last edited:
Reactions: JeffK

Since Tesla is already selling vehicles in that locale, I don't think they will be a babe-in-the-woods when it comes to assuring the Model 3 meets EU regulations (and that of other nations where they do business). It's not as if they're a new car company trying to break into that market for the first time.

You left out 5.1.2, the most important part:
"Vehicle parts within the reference zone with the exception of those which are not part of the instrument panel and which are placed at less than 10 cm from glazed surfaces shall be energy-dissipating, as prescribed in annex 4 to this Regulation."
You can certainly design the non-integrated screen to be energy dissipating. That's how the dash panels are designed in the first place.

For second part which you took from 5.3.2.1, the screen is not within the scope if it is already covered by 5.1:
"5.3.1. Scope The requirements of paragraph 5.3.2. below apply to control handles, levers and knobs and to any other protruding objects not referred to in paragraphs 5.1. and 5.2. above. (See also paragraph 5.3.2.2. )"

All of these are tested with simulation beforehand. I see no basis to assume Tesla wouldn't have done so.