Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk to advise Trump administration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon needs to tout the American designed and made products he has led to production using an American workforce. If I were him I would not even mention climate or energy.

The wonderful thing about Tesla is you do not have to believe in human caused climate change to want to order the cars and solar/energy products. They are really just better regardless of environmental benefit, beliefs, or ethics.

The wonderful thing about Tesla is you do not have to believe in human caused climate change to want to order the cars and solar/energy products. They are really just better regardless of environmental benefit, beliefs, or ethics.
Well said. I think a lot of people were stressing out too much a month ago over nothing.

Elon needs to tout the American designed and made products he has led to production using an American workforce. If I were him I would not even mention climate or energy.
Of course he should speak out on climate and sustainable energy issues in his new capacity. "Speak truth to power". That is essential.

Given all the oil barons in the cabinet, it will certainly be interesting to see how this plays out. Will this just be a token post without any real connection? Will Trump play along and try to spy on Tesla? Will Tesla play along and try to spy on Trump? Will Musk see it as a waste of time and drop out? Will Trump kick Musk out? Will Musk act as an advisor that will be taken into consideration by Trump?

What's most interesting is that the last option would normally seem the most rational, but things are not normal, and I would actually find it to be the most surprising result, should it happen.

Will Trump play along and try to spy on Tesla? Will Tesla play along and try to spy on Trump?

Almost certainly yes to both.

Will Musk see it as a waste of time and drop out? Will Trump kick Musk out?

No, no, and no. Trump and Elon each see each other as influential. "Enemies closer" and all that.

Will Musk act as an advisor that will be taken into consideration by Trump?

That's the interesting question. It depends on how good Elon is at cowtowing to Trump's ego. Elon is a celebrity in his own right, and Trump loves celebrities - as long as they're not overweight or unattractive women. Elon is certainly smart enough to know that Trump can do a LOT of damage and will likely do his best to keep peace.

What's most interesting is that the last option would normally seem the most rational, but things are not normal, and I would actually find it to be the most surprising result, should it happen.

Agree.

I want to avoid useless anti-Trump comments in an effort to get whatever good we can from this Administration.

The Nobel Physics Prize of Steven Chu made him uniquely well-qualified to deal with the nuclear issues that subsume 60% of DOE budget. His qualifications are the sort I'd prefer to see.

We will not have him, we'll have Rick Perry, if he can be confirmed. Despite his grossly unqualified background he does have a positive side. It was he who led the hugely successful push of West Texas into wind power. He also seems to be be interested in science. If so, it is quite possible that he could even become an advocate for some DOE programs.

Anyway Trump likes Musks friend Peter Thiel, that should help. Trump also needs to know how many US jobs Musk has created in the last eight years and how many foreign cars he's displaced. We might ignore the foreign rockets Musk has displaced since a number of them were Russian, but some were French too. Peter ought to know how to position that.

Last edited by a moderator: