Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk Divorcing Talulah Riley

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon's whole bit in Forbes about falling out of love due to not connecting on virtues and entertainment industry folks lacking virtue, makes me think this could get very ugly. Despite other kind words, that seems like pretty thinly veiled slam at his opinion of her virtue.

Elon's whole bit in Forbes about falling out of love due to not connecting on virtues and entertainment industry folks lacking virtue, makes me think this could get very ugly. Despite other kind words, that seems like pretty thinly veiled slam at his opinion of her virtue.

How do you get all these things from this article? Lately there seems to be a tendency to dramatize everything. Of course, for the person involved, it is.

@ckessel did you see a different version of the article than is now up?
Apparently so. I'll do some Googling and see if it was another article...

Edit: Yea, they changed it. You can see a reference in another article to a quote that's now missing from the Forbes article. Here's part of the, now missing, text that was quoted in jalopnik. The rest (which isn't in jalopnik) went on to say that he and Riley didn't share the same virtues and how hollywood isn't known for folks with virtue (Riley is an actress). The original article felt a bit bizarre, some really nice statements intermixed with really harsh statements hinting at lack of virtue.

"I think the foundation of love is virtue," he said, noting such qualities as hard work, sacrifice and excellence. "To the degree that someone has the sort of things that you intrinsically feel are virtuous then your love will increase. It's the idea that what you as an individual truly perceive as virtue–not what others want you to perceive or what you think society wants you to perceive but what you really perceive as virtue–is the essential part of the person. What lies within their heart."
Elon Musk Unplugs Second Marriage To Talulah Riley

Last edited:
Apparently so. I'll do some Googling and see if it was another article...Edit: Yea, they changed it. You can see a reference in another article to a quote that's now missing from the Forbes article. Here's part of the, now missing, text that was quoted in jalopnik. The rest (which isn't in jalopnik) went on to say that he and Riley didn't share the same virtues and how hollywood isn't known for folks with virtue (Riley is an actress). The original article felt a bit bizarre, some really nice statements intermixed with really harsh statements hinting at lack of virtue.Elon Musk Unplugs Second Marriage To Talulah Riley
I had the same reaction you did ckessel! Sounded like Musk was saying Ms. Riley (along with all of Hollywood) lacked virtue(s) such as hard work, sacrifice and excellence. Perhaps he was misquoted (or directly quoted but easily misconstrued) and that's why he asked for (and received) a redaction (or is it retraction?)

I had read the part you quoted above, but not anything about Hollywood. I think it would be fair to say that not all of Hollywood is terribly interested in saving the world, although a few are, and those who are, are so in different ways that don't always agree with each other. I'd read the part above to be more about the commonality of values, or about the perception of a very specific virtue that may appeal to a specific person, in an individual way. These things are always subjective, even though "subjects" aren't arbitrarily different. I suppose such things are easily misunderstood, as is probably that which I wrote here. ;)

He's becoming more like Iron Man; a supreme bachelor trying to make the world a better place. Or maybe Talulah just wasn't smart enough to hold an interesting conversation with... Elon may have confused love with lust for this obviously very attractive woman.

Unfortunately, this is utterly consistent with what his first wife said about him.

He is, indeed, married to his work, and he's not willing to spend the time to either have a healthy relationship, or to learn how to have a healthy relationship. It takes time and it takes work, and he doesn't recognize that.

Well, that's probably all to the better for those of us who want him to spend all his time and work making his companies succeed. But Ms. Riley is probably wrong -- he will probably never make someone else very happy in the way she means. I just hope Mr. Musk can find happiness through his work.

Unfortunately, this is utterly consistent with what his first wife said about him.

He is, indeed, married to his work, and he's not willing to spend the time to either have a healthy relationship, or to learn how to have a healthy relationship. It takes time and it takes work, and he doesn't recognize that.

Well, that's probably all to the better for those of us who want him to spend all his time and work making his companies succeed. But Ms. Riley is probably wrong -- he will probably never make someone else very happy in the way she means. I just hope Mr. Musk can find happiness through his work.

Wasn't it HE who said SHE would make someone happy? Agree though, it's better for us.

This is not rocket science. The dude is married to his work. Which is, well, rocket science. I'm sure he'll figure out a way to squeeze in a date here or there.
lol. +1

In "Revenge" he was portrayed as a reasonably good family man - dedicated to spending most of the weekend with his kids, spouse, etc. He loves his kids and said he wants to have more!

Wasn't it HE who said SHE would make someone happy? Agree though, it's better for us.

Ah. I never learned to read Twitter properly, perhaps you're right.

In "Revenge" he was portrayed as a reasonably good family man - dedicated to spending most of the weekend with his kids, spouse, etc. He loves his kids and said he wants to have more!

I spent a while when I was bored reading Justine Musk's blog. She rather politely implies that he has some very regressively sexist attitudes which he wasn't willing/able to adjust (she attributes it to South Africa's male-dominated culture). I think this is consistent with the positive aspects of his portrayal in "Revenge". He seems very well-intentioned, but like I said, he doesn't seem to be spending the time or energy to learn how to have a healthy relationship. Oh well, him and a million other men.