Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Elon "About to end range anxiety"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assume if you run the motor at high load pulsing several hundred times a second you maintain your 22kW needed for cruise, the driver doesn't notice at such high frequency but it improves efficiency.

Micro-sleep works for laptops because that power isn't actually used. If you need 22kW of power (like a Model S does for cruising) you can't get it by drawing 22kW at a 50% duty cycle.

You could get it by drawing 44kW at a 50% duty cycle... but that's not useful. (Actually it's worse because of higher losses).

Of course, there are times when you don't need 22kW - but that is already captured via regen.

@Bjorn, I had all these conspiracy theories going on in my head as to why you deleted the video as I was watching it! Things along the lines of Elon contacting you and telling you to remove it and all traces because you were hitting too close to home. Lol

The sound is perfect now. Thank you again for all your videos sir.

Regards, Ben

How about opt-in of car owners who can allow their home base to be made available on the console NAV nationally, or internationally. If you have 35000 national owners, good chance of tens of thousands of sharable HPWC of 40A and 80A. Like an air-bnb situation. You could pull up the map and besides SC and cataloged destination charging, which usually involve a stay over or shop payment participation, owners can opt-in their own HPWC to the network.

opt-in allows it to be only at your discretion to participate.

Not to brag, but the Florida Tesla Enthusiasts club already has that network set up in Florida. Just not in the internal nav system........yet.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the plug. :biggrin:

Our club's private charging network while not on the nav system is available via the Model S browser by accessing the our private discussion group here at TMC.

Larry

@Bjorn, I had all these conspiracy theories going on in my head as to why you deleted the video as I was watching it! Things along the lines of Elon contacting you and telling you to remove it and all traces because you were hitting too close to home. Lol

The sound is perfect now. Thank you again for all your videos sir.

Regards, Ben
What are you talking about? I don't have any inside info :p But yeah, the sound was really terrible. And because it could easily be re-shot, I did it. It's a big puzzle though. All the other times I've shot video in my garage, none of that noise was there. Maybe today's conditions were bad for 3G for the car or something. The phone had 4G just fine in there.

I've only read the first few pages and the last few pages, so not sure if anyone else posted this....But here's my idea....

Tesla is already collecting quite a bit of data from the supercharger sites, and they have already created the dashboard display that many of us have seen at Hawthorne...

Since we know it is an OTA update, software related, how about some improvements to the Supercharger experience? Status of charging stalls from the car, perhaps a way to "Check in" if you're waiting so that info could be relayed to inbound drivers (all 8 stalls are full, with 2 drivers in the queue, etc.), maybe reservations, etc. Just simple ways to help improve the supercharger experience...

Since we know it is an OTA update, software related, how about some improvements to the Supercharger experience? Status of charging stalls from the car, perhaps a way to "Check in" if you're waiting so that info could be relayed to inbound drivers (all 8 stalls are full, with 2 drivers in the queue, etc.), maybe reservations, etc. Just simple ways to help improve the supercharger experience...

I like this idea too. Maybe it could even suggest that you begin your trip an hour earlier or later depending on historical data that looks at the busiest times for a given SpC site. Not practical for some, but helpful to many that have some flexibility. It would be useful to know when to avoid SpC during peak usage.

This is about Elon getting excited about the new software release that will provide an updated Nav. Even Jerome has mentioned the updated nav coming soon. It will probably include lots of the features that have been touted for a while now (some of which appeared in 6.1). Things like routing through Superchargers, including their destination charging or other L2 charging to the nav, Supercharger status (seen at Hawthorn), etc. They probably can create some very accurate energy models. This is part of Tesla's big data/connected car/silicon valley advantage. The Model S fleet probably has nearly 1 billion miles under its belt now. That should be very useful real world consumption data that would help create accurate energy modeling. Most advanced/accurate/data backed Nav would be the kind of thing that gets Elon excited and tweeting. To my knowledge, no other car company has the ability to tap that amount and type of real world driving data.

perhaps Tesla is going to announce their own proprietary tire that recharges the car while driving (like goodyear recent showings).

I know many months ago there was some insider info that leaked out saying that Tesla has a big team working on tires - perhaps now is the time for that announcement.

- - - Updated - - -

improved navigation software is not significant enough to 'end range anxiety'. the only end to range anxiety is an enormous amount of more range or a way to recharge the car while driving.
I can't see how this would help at all, region is already efficient and in any case surely the laws of physics apply here - any energy recovered by the tyres is less energy available for region recovery. Sure, region isn't 100% efficient but any tyre gains would be marginal

Last edited by a moderator:
Along the lines of the AAA idea, how about the ability to have close-by Model S cars transfer charge from one car to another. Would need special cable and DC capability. Never mind.

I could see something like that happening. If anyone were to get stranded, the local service center could send out a car and share enough charge to get to the next charge station.

I love reading these replies. Such crazy speculation and just downright silly things people are saying because of a tweet from a guy who is known to blow smoke up everyone's tushies. Maybe he just wanted to squeeze the shorts and watch the weak stock jump a little tomorrow. I think its something so minimal it isn't even worth discussing further.

I don't think the micro-sleep deal is impossible.

Someone linked a graph earlier about how electric motors are more efficient under higher loads. Especially in the AWD, I wouldn't be surprised if there's some way to micro-pulse between both motors at higher loads that drivers would not perceive, while cruising at any speed. That in itself seems like an opportunity--two motors alternating higher load bursts would have the same overall energy output (doesn't violate physics), but would be more efficient.

Does anyone know how heat would affect motor efficiency? Perhaps micro-sleeping has some sort of neat efficiency gain from this, if this is the case.

Battery capacity is another area that's possible to increase OTA, as the full capacity is not used. I wouldn't be surprised at all if MUsk has found some way to limit lion power cycle degradation through some sort of crazy algorithm.

Math can be crazy powerful in the right applications. One good example of this would be Leap Motion's technology compared to anything else on the market. Super-cheap equipment was orders of magnitude more powerful/quick/accurate than other motion capture device out there, and it was all because a smart guy developed a crazy algorithm that turned three webcam-grade IR cameras on a small flat surface into a real-time 3d scanning apparatus. I'd be very surprised if there's not some sort of application here with electric motors that could be improved via a complex algorithm.

There's also the possibility that the press conference is really for something else, and Musk's tweet is going to be a more minor navigation-related feature. The conference doesn't just have to be about his tweet, and this is probably the more realistic outcome.

Thursday is my birthday, so I'm hoping it's something with substantial (20-30%) range increase, and increases Tesla stock by a similar amount :D

I am surprised no one has mentioned the Air Suspension.

- All cars without, will be upgraded to Air Suspension
- An OTA will be issued to affect the Air Suspension
- This affect will raise the rear of the car so that it is basically always going downhill
Range increase/less anxiety

BoooYaa !!!