Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrical Units and Pedantry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...a load draws a current flow. A motor will draw 200A, regardless of if the source can supply 200, or 2,000 amps.

The load is not the one doing the work. How does the load draw from a dead battery? Your linguistic desire is equivalent to saying that the force of the motor does not propel the car, instead it is the mass of the car which draws the acceleration from the motor.

Reactions: gavine
The load is not the one doing the work. How does the load draw from a dead battery? Your linguistic desire is equivalent to saying that the force of the motor does not propel the car, instead it is the mass of the car which draws the acceleration from the motor.
As I've already stated, it's clearly Ohm's law, which describes the relationship between voltage, resistance, and current flowing through the circuit.

As it's the resistance(ohms) presented to the source's potential (voltage) presented by the load, and not the capacity of the source, that determines the current flow(amperage) in the circuit, the accepted way to state this is that the load draws current.

Note the title of this discussion: How to calculate current and voltage draw of a single resistor circuit?

A quick google search for "current draw" and looking for the phrase on the pages reveals that institutions like the IEEE, NEC, NIST, electrical product catalogs, power calculators, engineering forums,etc.. all use that terminology.

So you can object and disagree with my posts if you like. But if you want to use terms that are considered correct by professionals and standards bodies alike, as well as communicate the concepts to others accurately, then you are barking up the wrong tree.

The issue of not getting units for power (kW) vs energy (kWh) correct has already been covered on the forums many a time.

Actually, as an exercise in juggling with power and energy I would like to use the Gigafactory as an example.

It is projected to achieve an annual battery production of 50 GWh (the actual estimated number is irrelevant here).

An annual production of a (capacity to store) energy is in fact a power, it can be seen as the mean production rate over the considered time scale, i.e. a year.

In the given example, the Gigafactory is thus projected to produce batteries at the rate of 50 GWh / year = 50 GWh / year * (365 day/year * 24 h / day) = 50 GWh / 8760 h = 5.7 MW.

This production rate of 5.7 MW can be visualized as a continuous stream of packs of batteries leaving the facility, if one pack holds for example 14kWh (a Power Wall 2), then one has to visualize just over 400 such packs every hour.

Even when there is an obvious correct term, it doesnt stop people from using the incorrect one. E.g. topsoil is sold in cubic yards - I've never heard ANYBODY use that correctly. From dispensers to truck drivers to landscapers. They always just say "yards".

"The whole 9 yards"....I believe that comes from a concrete truck which carries 9 cubic-yards. So it should be "the whole 9 CUBIC yards".

• Funny
Reactions: deonb