Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric MINI revealed -- The Mini E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep wondering why the grid figure is less than capacity? Doesn't it take more power from the grid to "fill" a pack? Does this mean that they encourage customers to "fill" it to less than full capacity?
hmm.

I'd bet it is similar to the Volt's set-up where the vehicle switches from EV-only mode at 35% charge. There were all kinds of technical reasons for it with the Volt, but it makes good sense that you keep a little extra juice in the battery so as not to deplete it. The math in there doesn't make sense, but I'd bet you cannot drain the battery to 0% with a mechanism to shut it down as not to kill a battery. But I could be way off.

LA Preview: Officially, official: the MINI E! Does it use a Tesla battery? - AutoblogGreen

Some of the details of the pack are interesting and reminiscent of another electric car that has received a lot of attention around here, the Tesla Roadster. The pack is comprised of 5,088 cells arranged in 48 modules. The press release itself states "The energy storage unit's basic components are based on the technological principle that has proven itself in practice in power supplies for mobile phones and portable computers." Based on the number of cells and the previous statement, we might infer that BMW has opted to use off-the-shelf cells rather than something purpose built for automotive applications.

Update: We heard back from Tesla, and the official response is no comment on third party relationships.

There did seem to be quite a few Tesla people in Bavaria over the summer, perhaps it wasn't just about the press days...

It's ACP!

TEG wrote:

It will be interesting to find out who's technology is in the mini-E.
Did BMW "roll their own"?
UQM?
ACP?
Tesla?

It's ACP!
You can't get more street cred than that!

Motor and Battery pack.

No link, just a fairly trusted source.

I want one but I don't have a garage.

Last edited:
You missed my point...

Oh, sorry. With most EVs they will let you drain the pack to near "0", but with increasing warnings that you are doing bad things to the pack.
For instance, my RangerEV has various warning lights that go on in sequence then start flashing, and it starts to restrict top speed and acceleration. As you get down to "rock bottom", it only lets you drive 25MPH max speed. It basically converts to a city-EV telling you "limp to a charger now or else".

The damage from "full drain" varies between battery types. For instance, old lead-acid is really damaged if you do that. Li-Ions can take it better, but apparently it prematurely ages them somewhat. Apparently the NiMHs I have like a good "full cycle" now and then.

Some of these concerns revolve around unbalanced cells in a pack. For instance, even if you could drain any individual cell to say 1% of total charge, if you drain the whole pack to 5% total charge it may mean some cells are left at 10% and some at 0%, where 0% could be a real problem.

Oh, sorry. With most EVs they will let you drain the pack to near "0", but with increasing warnings that you are doing bad things to the pack.
For instance, my RangerEV has various warning lights that go on in sequence then start flashing, and it starts to restrict top speed and acceleration. As you get down to "rock bottom", it only lets you drive 25MPH max speed. It basically converts to a city-EV telling you "limp to a charger now or else".

The damage from "full drain" varies between battery types. For instance, old lead-acid is really damaged if you do that. Li-Ions can take it better, but apparently it prematurely ages them somewhat. Apparently the NiMHs I have like a good "full cycle" now and then.

Some of these concerns revolve around unbalanced cells in a pack. For instance, even if you could drain any individual cell to say 1% of total charge, if you drain the whole pack to 5% total charge it may mean some cells are left at 10% and some at 0%, where 0% could be a real problem.

Here is a decent discussion of how the Volt is supposed to hold charges from beginning of life to EOL. Interesting that you start and end with 40 miles EV range with no drop in performance after (I want to say 150,000 miles). That's impressive.

GM-VOLT : Chevy Volt Electric Car Site Blog Archive The Chevy Volt’s All Electric Range (AER) Will be 40 Miles Both at Beginning and End of Life

That's true, but you're missing a key reason. California (and I think NY also to some extent) still has remnants of the ZEV mandate. These 500 some cars will help keep BMW on the safe side in case they're ever actually enforced.

Of course, BMW isn't doing this purely for the selfish reason to fulfill the ZEV mandate. Like all the other carmakers, they probably want to see for themselves how practical EVs are.

Don't forget NJ residents are also able to lease the Mini E. Just in case anyone is wondering it's $850/month plus title, registration and license fees which are do up front. And of course there is tax. MiniUSA.com was updated and the application is now available so if you want to find out any information. As cool as it would be to get to drive this, I don't think it's worth $10,200 after a year considering you won't have the option at all to purchase the car, but that is just me. Also, for anybody that might have more than one person in a household that would want to try this, they are only accepting 1 application per household and it's the first application that is going to be considered. The site also said it can take a few months for the Mini E to be delivered and that the preferred Mini Dealer you choose might not get the car and you would have to go to a different dealer.

If anyone does get this, let us know how it is.

-Shark2k

I was highly intersted as well and plan to see it here at the LA Auto show this week but for the same reasons Shark2k listed I will also be passing on a year's $12K* rental.

I do have a friend who has a friend getting one. I will report whatever I can.

*All that extra electrical work I need is added.

Press release from AC propulsion:
Press Releases - AC Propulsion

The MINI E uses a specially-developed version of AC Propulsion’s proprietary tzero™ technology to provide high performance, high efficiency, and fast charging. AC Propulsion’s air-cooled copper-rotor induction motor produces maximum torque from zero to 5,000 rpm and spins all the way up to 13,000 rpm. The IGBT inverter drives the motor to produce peak power of 150 kW.

Our Li Ion modules are developed specifically for electric vehicles, not hybrids,” Gage observed, “so they are lighter and less costly than hybrid batteries for the same amount of energy.

oooo, Hybrid *snap*!

'Bout time someone launched a battery salvo bringing out into the open that Hybrid batteries are muc harder to develop.

The V2G stuff is pretty cool too. These guys are smart -a mini leap (as it were) in the EV timeline.