Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric consumption during 3 weeks plug in ???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
During my recent 3 weeks vacation, I left my M3 plug in (via Tesla Wall Charger). Soc was 71% at the start, and is 67% at the end of my vacation.
The scheduling was set to 60% so the car never charges during my vacation.
Here is the issue: I got PGE bill for the entire period that include my 3 week vacation (with very little use of electricity).
The bill shows 234 kWh used during off peak (i.e from 12 am to 3pm as I use the EV2 plan) resulting in 65$ charge.
My question is: does the Wall Connector consumes lot of kWh in this case ? (no charging at all).

Wow, almost 28¢ per hWh for off-peak? That seems expensive. I pay ~16¢ 24 hours a day, averaging in taxes and other fees.

I have seen this message from my MX tessie when it is not plugged in, but this implies that the car *would* have used energy from the wall connector *had* it been plugged in. Whether it would use 234 kWh, I doubt it. But don't you have a refrigerator and any other things that use energy during off peak hours, which is a fairly long period of time, 15 hours!

IMG_3961.JPG

During my recent 3 weeks vacation, I left my M3 plug in (via Tesla Wall Charger). Soc was 71% at the start, and is 67% at the end of my vacation.
The scheduling was set to 60% so the car never charges during my vacation.
Here is the issue: I got PGE bill for the entire period that include my 3 week vacation (with very little use of electricity).
The bill shows 234 kWh used during off peak (i.e from 12 am to 3pm as I use the EV2 plan) resulting in 65$ charge.
My question is: does the Wall Connector consumes lot of kWh in this case ? (no charging at all).
The standby usage of a Gen3 charger is about 1 watt when not plugged in to a car. Sadly I didn't think to check it while plugged in but not charging. That'd be 0.5 kwh. over three weeks.

You should be looking at other users of electricity in your home.

Reactions: jjrandorin
How can I get the daily view ? I look at the PG&E website, there is no option for this.
Please help.
Oops, I found it. Here are the details showing my electricity usage during the 3 weeks vacation is normal (about 6.5kWh per day due to household appiances..
Only on last day while going home from airport, I start charging the car to 100%.
GREATS TO LEARN SOMETHING NEW ABOUT PG&E NOW

Attachments

• PGENE_3weeks_vacation.JPG
    PGENE_3weeks_vacation.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC and ucmndd
I will take note of each EV charging session and compare with what the car reported to get a correlation (after substracting daily usage at night.
The correlation will tell me how efficient the EV charging is. 100% is ideal , less than 100% is expected though.

Where I live (El Paso, TX), the EV rate account is very deceiving. They didn't tell me there was a minimum (and quite high) line charge, but I knew that from reading related posts here. So when I asked (and person initially said she didn't know), and was finally given a figure, I'd have to drive the car like 15K miles per year to justify it, so I just stayed with my regular household bill. And it was way cheaper, especially in winter (single charge here, but much lower in winter), with about 10K miles per year. And then there are the taxes too, so do proper research first.

My car does not consume much energy while in storage. It lost 4% Soc during these 3 weeks (since I check its Soc everyday thru the app!!!).
Sentry mode is OFF at home.
The last day of ,my vacation (getting home), I charged my car to 100% and also turn ON home heater system. That shows up in the graph.
Also, each day of these 3 weeks, power consumption is about 6.4 kWh (measured with a power meter), these come from the 2 refrigerators in my home that are always plugged in. And this is the first time I take a very close look at my electric bill. Found that off peak rate is 28c/kWh, with 12c discount resulting in 16cents/kWh. I am very happy with this finding. Peak rate is 46c - 14c = 32c/kWh (between 3pm-12am midnight).