Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

eGauge 3 System review (energy monitoring)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick reply to show you what I'm doing with the thing :

I have a 1 story home, around 1000 sq ft + single car garage. The basement is completely habitable (separate appartement with a 2nd feed from the utility) but not really heated to confortable level since it's only used for storage and as a workshop.

2 Days ago, on Jan 5th, I had the coldest day since I installed my eGauge monitor. Outside temp was -21C (-6F) at midnight. Went up to around -14C (7F) during the day then went down to -21C again.

Inside temp in my home is held at around 22C (72F). Basement is at 16C(60F). Garage is at 10C (50F). I have a 15 000Btu Fujitsu minisplit heating most of my home.

Energy usage for heating was :
Gound Level :
MiniSplit : 36.91kWh
Resistive Heating : 0.68 kWh (minimal use since at -21C the Mini Split is still working fine)

Basement :
Resistive Heating : 46.84kWh

Garage : 14.92kWh

EnergyUsage.png

Couple of nice things I noticed :
  • Yellow/Orange is my Mini Split. You can see the de-icing cycles
  • Green is the garage. You can see the 2 spikes when I left home and got back at the end of the day. I cannot reach my garage from inside the house. It attached but without access.
  • Red (small blip at around 8:30) is resistive heating : I like to bump the temperature of the bathroom when I wake up
  • Black is my side of the basement (1/3 of the surface area)
  • Gray is the rest of the basement

Fun Facts :

Garage : The morning, I entered my garage using the access door, unplugged the car, got it, then opened & closed quickly. When I got back, I opened the door, parked the car, plugged it, then came out of the garage by the huge door then closed. It's pretty obvious which one is better! It also looks like heating an empty garage takes more electricity.. weird.

Around 9AM, you can see that heating in the garage stopped. I was kind of puzzled by that until I realized that I was preheating the car during that time. Looks like pre-heating the inside also puts heat outside the car.

And I really need to check for air-leaks in my garage door. 15kWh for 1day of usage is crazy...