Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Kingston update...no change. I am waiting to hear back from my contact and will advise when I do.

tsla 12 15 14.jpg

I'm not sure that we know 100% for certain that this is a Utilities Kingston delay, but I think most of us here believe it is. As such, I did some digging this morning to find out who to contact at UK that could speed things along. I figure start at the top. This is what I found...(you guys are going to love this):

This is the CEO:

James A. KeechPresident and Chief Executive Officer, Utilities Kingston

And he sits on this board:

Board of Directors | Plug n Drive

This is Plug'ndrive's mandate:

Plug’n Drive is a non-profit organization committed to accelerating the adoption of electric cars to maximize their environmental and economic benefits.
Although initially focused on Ontario, we believe that electrification of transportation can bring wide-ranging benefits to all Canadians. We strive to be the "go to" source of information and resources that will help achieve this.
We Take Awareness on the Road
Sponsored by TD Bank and their Friends of The Environment Program, the “EV Roadshow” has taken Plug’n Drive across Ontario on a campaign to increase public awareness about electric cars and their environmental and economic benefits.
To date, we've reached more than 23,000 people at more than 100 events - answering questions, engaging drivers and providing over 1,000 electric vehicle test drives. Some of the highlights include our "EV Day" annual events, our employee engagement program and being a lead collaborator for eco-drive showcases and test drives at the Canadian International Auto Show, the Ottawa Auto Show and the Green Living Show.
We Collaborate to Build Infrastructure
Plug’n Drive launched “Charge My Car” in collaboration with Ontario’s electricity distributors (LDCs). This online-portal helps individuals and businesses install charging stations for personal, fleet or commercial use through a simple three step process.
1. Choose from Canada's largest selection of charging stations
2. Buy your charger securely through our online store
3. Install your charger with the assistance of an ESA certified electrician

Visit Charge My Car for more information.
We Locate Canada’s Public Charging Station Infrastructure
Plug'n Drive maintains a map of all the publicly accessible charging stations in Canada. To date, we have located over 2,000 stations at over 1,200 locations with more being added each month. To find a charger near you, visit: caa.ca/evstations.

- - - Updated - - -

So, this guy should be motivated to get this baby hooked up. And surely he has the power to shuffle a couple of projects to make it happen this week.

I have a call into his executive assistant and am waiting to hear back. Might I suggest that you all send Jim an email asap (a nice one) indicating the significance of this Kingston SC location to you, early adopters that are helping to...accelerate the adoption of electric cars to maximize their environmental and economic benefits.

Jim's email:
[email protected]

GO TESLA!

Last edited:
Note: Please be mindful that the delay could be somewhere else...we may hear back that someone else is holding it up...I have no concrete information on that.

Plug'n Drive maintains a map of all the publicly accessible charging stations in Canada. To date, we have located over 2,000 stations at over 1,200 locations with more being added each month. To find a charger near you, visit: caa.ca/evstations.

Interesting...I can't locate any Tesla chargers on Plug'n Drive map...can you?

Last edited:
Note: Please be mindful that the delay could be somewhere else...we may hear back that someone else is holding it up...I have no concrete information on that.

Interesting...I can't locate any Tesla chargers on Plug'n Drive map...can you?

Update...

Just heard back from someone at Utilities Kingston. Their message to me: This is not a Utilities Kingston delay as it is on private property. They are ready to assist when the private property owner is ready to go. Equipment will still need to be ordered by UK, taking approx. 6-8 weeks lead time (this is commensurate with Lance's timeline). UK is not certain where the delay exists...with the property owner or a Tesla contractor.

As an aside...one of the engineers at UK is a huge Tesla fan and very excited to see this project completed.

I asked if they could reconfirm with the property owner that they are ready to assist at any time.

Update...

Just heard back from someone at Utilities Kingston. Their message to me: This is not a Utilities Kingston delay as it is on private property. They are ready to assist when the private property owner is ready to go. Equipment will still need to be ordered by UK, taking approx. 6-8 weeks lead time (this is commensurate with Lance's timeline). UK is not certain where the delay exists...with the property owner or a Tesla contractor.

As an aside...one of the engineers at UK is a huge Tesla fan and very excited to see this project completed.

I asked if they could reconfirm with the property owner that they are ready to assist at any time.

This matches what Tesla just sent me:

We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback. The Kingston Supercharger site has taken longer than originally promised, and we apologize for the continued delays. We recognize the extreme importance of this location and it remains a priority for the team.

To provide some more detailed insight, the majority of Tesla construction is complete, but the Superchargers still need to be connected to the utility’s primary line. Because of the electrical complexity of this site in particular, a custom piece of equipment is required before the utility can provide power. We are working with the necessary parties to expedite the ordering timelines, but it will be several weeks before the site is available for customer use. In parallel, we continue to evaluate additional options to quickly bring charging to Kingston. We appreciate the continued support from our owners to expedite, but this is not a delay by the utility or the City. Please continue to direct all inquiries regarding Kingston timing to [email protected].

So it appears we're probably out of luck until January, Tesla is on it, it's not the City's fault or Utilities Kingston's fault, and there's nothing more we can do but wait.

Last edited:
Update...

Oh good, I was beginning to doubt that I ever heard that information. The person I spoke to said to expect February but that nobody really knows.So a private property issue eh? Perhaps we can determine who this owner is. I'm surprised that the project would've gone this far with a missing piece or pieces that needed to be ordered. Sounds all pretty fishy.

Good news is there's still enough electricity in the universe to keep driving Teslas over the holidays!

I'm not sure that we know 100% for certain that this is a Utilities Kingston delay, but I think most of us here believe it is. As such, I did some digging this morning to find out who to contact at UK that could speed things along. I figure start at the top. This is what I found...(you guys are going to love this):

This is the CEO:

James A. KeechPresident and Chief Executive Officer, Utilities Kingston

I emailed Mr. Keech on Saturday (yes, a polite email), and although he hasn't responded yet, I just sent him another email acknowledging that the delay is not Utilities Kingston's fault. I hadn't assumed it was; just asked him if there was anything he could do to help move the project along.

- - - Updated - - -

Given the depressing news about the Kingston supercharger, we need some good news. Here's a bit that I also got from Tesla today:

Thank you for your email. We absolutely intend to place a Supercharger somewhere near Cobourg, and you will see this locale included in the update to our projected maps, which we plan to post on our website soon. As time goes on our goal of enabling new routes will shift towards adding alternative options and density along current routes.There are a number of scenarios that can affect the timeline for a new site but we are working hard to open as many sites as quickly as we can. We understand the need for more Superchargers and we are excited to announce new sites on our website and in your Model S.

I just got a delayed reply to my enquiry. Same info for Kingston but some new info on the others in the last paragraph.
Perhaps some of you can check on their progress if you are out that way? (Barrie and Woodstock)

Pardon the delay on this response. It’s all hands on deck to finish the year strong.

Kingston is the most important site in the network, and while the majority of Tesla construction is complete, the Superchargers still must be connected to the utility’s primary line. Because of the electrical complexity of this site in particular, a custom piece of equipment is required before the utility can provide power. We are working with the necessary parties to expedite the ordering timelines, but it will be several weeks before the site is available for customer use. In parallel, we continue to evaluate options to quickly bring charging to Kingston.

We greatly appreciate the continued support from our owners to call various parties and expedite, but this is not a delay by the utility or the City. Tesla is in contact with the correct parties and we are working daily to energize Kingston. Please encourage inquiries regarding Kingston timing to [email protected].

Barrie has just broken ground and Comber will be next to follow, pending a few last items. Woodstock is nearly complete, and we are getting ready to open that site very soon (keep your eyes peeled this week).

Barrie has just broken ground and Comber will be next to follow, pending a few last items. Woodstock is nearly complete, and we are getting ready to open that site very soon (keep your eyes peeled this week).

That's quite big news. Woodstock is nearly complete and we don't even have an address?

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like someone dropped the ball on that "piece of equipment" though. Can't imagine what it is, unless they got the wrong transformer.

Am I understanding it correctly that Utilities Kingston cannot even order the equipment on their end until the customer is ready? No matter what the hold up is at the shopping center, shouldn't the parties be able to communicate and have the material pre-ordered?

That IS good news! Thank you for that Lance!
You're welcome, and stop calling me Lance :) (Sorry for the obscure and not-very-funny "Airplane" reference.)

- - - Updated - - -

Am I understanding it correctly that Utilities Kingston cannot even order the equipment on their end until the customer is ready? No matter what the hold up is at the shopping center, shouldn't the parties be able to communicate and have the material pre-ordered?

No, they have ordered this equipment, they are being told it will take several weeks, but they're still trying to find ways to get it faster. And it's not Utilities Kingston who ordered it, it's Tesla or their contractor. As for what it is, we could guess - my guess would be current transformers for the meter - but we don't know. And it appears that Utilities Kingston is "ready and waiting".

You're welcome, and stop calling me Lance :) (Sorry for the obscure and not-very-funny "Airplane" reference.)

- - - Updated - - -

No, they have ordered this equipment, they are being told it will take several weeks, but they're still trying to find ways to get it faster. And it's not Utilities Kingston who ordered it, it's Tesla or their contractor. As for what it is, we could guess - my guess would be current transformers for the meter - but we don't know. And it appears that Utilities Kingston is "ready and waiting".
Oops! Did I do that?

Shirley you must be mistaken!

Quality Hotel & Suites

580 Bruin Boulevard
Woodstock, ON N4V 1E5
(519) 537-5586

Hotel said one or two weeks before it's ready

I just got a delayed reply to my enquiry. Same info for Kingston but some new info on the others in the last paragraph.
Perhaps some of you can check on their progress if you are out that way? (Barrie and Woodstock)

Pardon the delay on this response. It’s all hands on deck to finish the year strong.

Kingston is the most important site in the network, and while the majority of Tesla construction is complete, the Superchargers still must be connected to the utility’s primary line. Because of the electrical complexity of this site in particular, a custom piece of equipment is required before the utility can provide power. We are working with the necessary parties to expedite the ordering timelines, but it will be several weeks before the site is available for customer use. In parallel, we continue to evaluate options to quickly bring charging to Kingston.

We greatly appreciate the continued support from our owners to call various parties and expedite, but this is not a delay by the utility or the City. Tesla is in contact with the correct parties and we are working daily to energize Kingston. Please encourage inquiries regarding Kingston timing to [email protected].

There seems to be a systematic planning failure at Tesla Supercharger sites. A similar thing to Kingston also happened with the Hope, BC Supercharger:

1) Work completed
2) Months go by waiting on the transformer to be connected
3) Nobody taking responsibility for the delay

Who exactly is in charge of planning these projects? One would have expected the source of these delays (land use rights in Hope, back-ordered equipment in Kingston) to have been dealt with long before the projects even broke ground! Or do they seriously expect us to believe they didn't know who had rights to the land before they started digging it up? Same with Kingston; the engineers didn't compile a list of required parts/equipment?

Hotel said one or two weeks before it's ready

I'll believe that when I see it. :crying:

Who is in charge of planning these projects? Anybody?! One would have expected the source of these delays (land use rights in Hope, back-ordered equipment in Kingston) to have been dealt with long before the projects even broke ground!

As frustrating as it is for all of us, apparently this kind of mixup is pretty common. Similar problems often happen with connecting solar power systems to the grid. There are 70-some local distribution companies (electrical utilities) in Ontario, and each one has its own rules on top of the electrical code. If you do a lot of projects with a particular LDC, you can get to know their rules and can build up a good working relationship. So the good news is that once Tesla has installed a supercharger in the territory of one of those LDCs, the next one should be easier. But the bad news is that other than Hydro One (most rural areas), most SC installations will be the first for the utility since their territories tend to be fairly small.

If you're curious, you can see the map of Ontario LDCs here.