Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not in 2017 if they don't get the Model 3 production going.

We all agree that they need more SCs in Canada but that is more to expand the range of travel. Doubling the number of Teslas on the road won't cause capacity issues at Canadian SCs in the short term. How often are Canadian SCs, other than Lawrence Ave, anywhere near capacity? And even if all goes well with Model 3 production there won't be a material number of Model 3s on the road until mid 2018, so that could be 2018 priority - even more so from a Canadian perspective as Canadian deliveries will likely start later.

I'm not sure that the capacity won't be required with double the number of cars... I've recently been parked in Barrie with 5 other cars. They need to get a bunch built in 2017, because the process takes time.

I agree. When you look at the map of Southern Ontario the biggest gap is between Woodstock and Comber. To me London would have made more sense than St Cath as the Grimsby one is only a few km away.

Indeed. Further, Tesla has really pivoted on their Supercharging strategy with this announcement. The priority really seems to have shifted from "enabling long distance travel" to "providing local charging". Personally, I would have rather seen all those sites in the GTA spread out into rural areas to support road-tripping.

Indeed. Further, Tesla has really pivoted on their Supercharging strategy with this announcement. The priority really seems to have shifted from "enabling long distance travel" to "providing local charging". Personally, I would have rather seen all those sites in the GTA spread out into rural areas to support road-tripping.
Totally agree. To me in Toronto itself destination chargers make the most sense, most people are not just travelling through the city. It truly is a destination rather than a waypoint. Besides with the traffic it takes all day to get through the city anyway . Very clear that the strategy has been rethought. Probably realize that the number of city dwellers that cannot charge at home, but could be possible buyers of the Model 3, is substantial.

Two surprises for me. That there is no London Supercharger planned in this batch. And that Owen Sound is getting one. I was surprised but maybe I have to credit the selection committee being more knowledgeable about local travel than I supposed. They must be cognizant of the fact that for travelers heading to points north by way of the Chichiman Ferry at Tobermory, Owen Sound is the ideal topping off point.

And of course the lack of even one Supercharger in New Brunswick baffles me. I still think that giving up on the 1.7 million people in the Maritimes is shortsighted.

If people are paying for the service, then there's no longer any sense in fighting the "local charging" issue. They should plop them wherever there's demand.

Looks like they've updated the map data so Woodstock and Cornwall Superchargers are back on the map. @asiaworldcity I agree! I don't know why they haven't put one in London either as it's more central than Woodstock for 401 route from Sarnia to Toronto. I'm guessing they chose Woodstock initially because the 403 meets up at 401 nearby.

Very clear that the strategy has been rethought. Probably realize that the number of city dwellers that cannot charge at home, but could be possible buyers of the Model 3, is substantial.

I'm in this boat. I've just sold my house with a dedicated 80 amp connector and am moving to a condo without access to a plug (short of stealing from a neighbor, which I don't plan on doing). I was planning on seeing how things go relying on the available charging options out there in the city, with a last resort option of selling my Tesla and returning to an ICE. I even recently bought a CHAdeMO adapter to help me along. With a Supercharger in downtown Toronto, I'm good. I have no worries.

If people are paying for the service, then there's no longer any sense in fighting the "local charging" issue. They should plop them wherever there's demand.

I think they've pretty much admitted their strategy has changed by saying: "In addition, many sites will be built further off the highway to allow local Tesla drivers to charge quickly when needed, with the goal of making charging ubiquitous in urban centers". Great timing for me. :)

Reactions: Falkirk
I'm in this boat. I've just sold my house with a dedicated 80 amp connector and am moving to a condo without access to a plug (short of stealing from a neighbor, which I don't plan on doing). I was planning on seeing how things go relying on the available charging options out there in the city, with a last resort option of selling my Tesla and returning to an ICE. I even recently bought a CHAdeMO adapter to help me along. With a Supercharger in downtown Toronto, I'm good. I have no worries.

I think they've pretty much admitted their strategy has changed by saying: "In addition, many sites will be built further off the highway to allow local Tesla drivers to charge quickly when needed, with the goal of making charging ubiquitous in urban centers". Great timing for me. :)

Do you work downtown? There are quite a few parking garages on plugshare that have L2 charging.

I don't know why they haven't put one in London either as it's more central than Woodstock for 401 route from Sarnia to Toronto. I'm guessing they chose Woodstock initially because the 403 meets up at 401 nearby.
I am guessing that it provides better spacing on their original SC highway strategy to get across southern Ontario on the 401 - Comber, Woodstock, Pt Hope, Kingston, Cornwall.

With a Supercharger in downtown Toronto, I'm good. I have no worries.
I don't know that we can necessarily count on it being downtown - although I am probably guilty of starting that rumour. They seem to have put the Coming Soon markers wherever Google Maps puts the city name - and if you zoom in enough on Toronto that gets you to City Hall.

But how do you deal with the parking issue in Toronto? For a Tesla owner that needs 30-60 minutes of parking downtown this would be awesome - keep my car at less than 50%, drive downtown and get free parking and free electricity! Or would you still have to pay for parking even is you get fee charging? Either way they will really have to enforce the time limits.

They will have the same issue in Manhattan as there are currently no SCs on Manhattan but there are now three that are "Coming Soon"?

I don't know that we can necessarily count on it being downtown - although I am probably guilty of starting that rumour. They seem to have put the Coming Soon markers wherever Google Maps puts the city name - and if you zoom in enough on Toronto that gets you to City Hall.

But how do you deal with the parking issue in Toronto? For a Tesla owner that needs 30-60 minutes of parking downtown this would be awesome - keep my car at less than 50%, drive downtown and get free parking and free electricity! Or would you still have to pay for parking even is you get fee charging? Either way they will really have to enforce the time limits.

They will have the same issue in Manhattan as there are currently no SCs on Manhattan but there are now three that are "Coming Soon"?

In high demand parking situations they could crank up the idle fees.... Like 5 or 10x what they are now.

But how do you deal with the parking issue in Toronto? For a Tesla owner that needs 30-60 minutes of parking downtown this would be awesome - keep my car at less than 50%, drive downtown and get free parking and free electricity!

My guess is that they will be situated in existing parking lots... so you'd pay the nominal parking fee and get your charge (on an older car) free.

...before the busy summer travel season at that!! I hope they already started some of them and we just don't know about it yet.
Pointe-Claire surprised me a litte bit. I would have thought Vaudreuil would have been better given the number of converging highways. Then again it won't really matter with Vankleek Hill.

...on an unrelated note, I may have a ChaDeMo adapter for sale soon.
I'm interested in your Chademo adaptor. Let me know.

Personally, I don't think any of the proposed sites in Canada will be ready this year!
It's almost May, half way through the year nearly and to build all these sites by the end of
December? Dream On!
Towards the end of next year Maybe, but even that's pushing it. I see 2019 as the earliest.

Personally, I don't think any of the proposed sites in Canada will be ready this year!
It's almost May, half way through the year nearly and to build all these sites by the end of
December? Dream On!
Towards the end of next year Maybe, but even that's pushing it. I see 2019 as the earliest.
Again - I bet you $1000 that at least one of them will be ready by Dec 31, 2018.