Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have received a reply from Jamee Hawn at Tesla concerning my question about when Kingston SC station will open. Not certain what is meant by "on track for the fall",

Reply follows

"Thanks for reaching out and congratulations on your upcoming Model S! We are still on track to open a Supercharger in Kingston in the fall. I attended the Lawrence St. Supercharger opening in Toronto last week and was quite impressed by the turnout of both press and owners. It seems the Canadian owners are in a league of their own in support, excitement, and inclusion in the Tesla community. Soon enough, you'll be stopping at the Supercharger and chatting with an owner next to you, no doubt about it!

Again, thank you for your support and I know you'll enjoy driving your Model S in Ottawa, stopping at the Kingston Supercharger station in no time.

Jamee"

I have received a reply from Jamee Hawn at Tesla concerning my question about when Kingston SC station will open. Not certain what is meant by "on track for the fall",

Reply follows

"Thanks for reaching out and congratulations on your upcoming Model S! We are still on track to open a Supercharger in Kingston in the fall. I attended the Lawrence St. Supercharger opening in Toronto last week and was quite impressed by the turnout of both press and owners. It seems the Canadian owners are in a league of their own in support, excitement, and inclusion in the Tesla community. Soon enough, you'll be stopping at the Supercharger and chatting with an owner next to you, no doubt about it!

Again, thank you for your support and I know you'll enjoy driving your Model S in Ottawa, stopping at the Kingston Supercharger station in no time.

Jamee"

Let's call it a diplomatic reply.

It means he doesn't have any actual information he can give you, other than what is on the Tesla Motors web site. Tesla's policy is to not release schedule information until they know exactly when it will be completed... which is in practice is a matter of days before it goes live.

It means he doesn't have any actual information he can give you, other than what is on the Tesla Motors web site. Tesla's policy is to not release schedule information until they know exactly when it will be completed... which is in practice is a matter of days before it goes live.

At least the Fall still appears to be in play but when in Fall is up in the air even if it is a diplomatic reply.

At least the Fall still appears to be in play but when in Fall is up in the air even if it is a diplomatic reply.

I think this means that the original plan/location hit a snag, so Tesla may be looking/scrambling for alternate locations in Kingston area. There are two exits from 401, so the area to scout for activity is actually quite large. We can hope for someone local to spot activity, and based on experience with other sites it takes 4-6 weeks from you spot the spray paint markings on the pavement until operation

I think this means that the original plan/location hit a snag, so Tesla may be looking/scrambling for alternate locations in Kingston area. There are two exits from 401, so the area to scout for activity is actually quite large. We can hope for someone local to spot activity, and based on experience with other sites it takes 4-6 weeks from you spot the spray paint markings on the pavement until operation

There's actually several 401 exits...but really only Division and Gardiners Road would make sense for the strategy of putting them near shopping/dining areas. Division being the much closer one to the 401.

There's actually several 401 exits...but really only Division and Gardiners Road would make sense for the strategy of putting them near shopping/dining areas. Division being the much closer one to the 401.

Division would be ideal, because that's where my favourite back roads route pops out...

- - - Updated - - -

Anyway... fall/winter is coming soon... Tesla has to act fast... surely they have a Plan B...

I doubt it. We're probably at the mercy of the mall construction.

Hmm... I will of course visit Toronto at some point over xmas... we can therefore infer that the Supercharger will go live the first week of January.

There's no real reason for it. Electric utilities install overhead and underground circuits all year round (in the types of locations we're talking about here).

Well, presumably the cost of the job goes up in colder months on account of needing heat for workers, equipment, or possibly the whole site (depending on what's being done). Perhaps Tesla doesn't allocate the extra funds into Canadian installs?

Cold weather is really only an issue once the ground freezes. Then you need some equipment and time to break up the icy soil.

Concrete does need to be kept warm while it is curing. It does generate heat while curing so if it's not extremely cold you just need to protect it (plastic, etc.). If it's extremely cold then yes you would need heaters.

We're talking incremental cost increases, not a show-stopper.

There's no other option for Tesla: they're poised to install the 2 SuperCharger before, let's say, late november (construction's still doable at that time, even until mid-december)... for both Kingston and Drummondville... by the way, I saw couple of time pavement jobs in Montreal even in january/february (because a water supply city pipe was broken) so yes, pavement is doable during that time.

Obviously, they'll have to probably find another place for Kingston... as for Drummondville, someone will have to shake up Hydro-Québec (which are the responsible for the delay...)

But does anyone here have some recent pictures of the Kingston place? Or it is completely impossible to put SC at that area for the moment?

If there's an existing parking lot, they don't really need to cut up the pavement except for any trenches that cross it. In a parking lot I expect cold patch would suffice until spring.

I think the issue in Kingston is that there's no parking lot yet...

But does anyone here have some recent pictures of the Kingston place? Or it is completely impossible to put SC at that area for the moment?

Here's a picture of the Dalton Ave. construction site from Sept 3. It's not clear that the big electrical box has anything to do with superchargers - see earlier in the thread here. This picture was taken over a fence from the theatre side of the site. It's possible that they could set up superchargers along the curb past this box and allow access to this part of the parking lot before the rest of the lot, but that seems unlikely. Parking lots are usually the last thing to be finished in a new shopping area. More likely (but still just guessing), they are considering an alternate location due to the delays at this site.

DSC_0003.jpg

Here's a picture of the Dalton Ave. construction site from Sept 3. It's not clear that the big electrical box has anything to do with superchargers - see earlier in the thread here. This picture was taken over a fence from the theatre side of the site. It's possible that they could set up superchargers along the curb past this box and allow access to this part of the parking lot before the rest of the lot, but that seems unlikely. Parking lots are usually the last thing to be finished in a new shopping area. More likely (but still just guessing), they are considering an alternate location due to the delays at this site.

That's heavy duty electrical gear, but does not look like any Supercharger equipment that I have seen. Something more may be coming, but this looks like a false alarm to me.