Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dump net metering [in NJ]?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_8217.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8216.jpeg
    IMG_8216.jpeg
    268.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_8215.jpeg
    IMG_8215.jpeg
    110.9 KB · Views: 41
I have Tesla solar with PSEG (NJ) net metering and now two Tesla cars. Charging both cars is giving me a monster electric bill even with the solar. PSEG told me I cannot have a time of use plan (to charge my cars cheaply overnight or on weekends) and still have net metering. So, here’s my idea. I’m looking into getting a whole home battery that can be charged from the grid or solar, dumping the net metering, and, instead, getting time-of-use metering (“RLM” in NJ). I need a home power backup anyway because we’re routinely having blackouts in NJ.

I don't think this is correct - AFAIK there is nothing in the tariff document that prohibits RLM with net metering.

The front line staff don't really understand RLM or why you would want it - I had to file a complaint with the BPU to get things straightened out.

It's definitely possible - I have PSE&G RLM with net metering. It saves me an absolute fortune, my array isn't large enough to cover all my usage but it does cover all my peak usage so the 4-5000kWh of energy that I pay for is at the off peak rate.

Screenshot 2023-05-08 at 20.31.15.png

Last edited:
Reactions: DSE25
I don't think this is correct - AFAIK there is nothing in the tariff document that prohibits RLM with net metering.

The front line staff don't really understand RLM or why you would want it - I had to file a complaint with the BPU to get things straightened out.

It's definitely possible - I have PSE&G RLM with net metering. It saves me an absolute fortune, my array isn't large enough to cover all my usage but it does cover all my peak usage so the 4-5000kWh of energy that I pay for is at the off peak rate.

View attachment 935890
Thanks. After seven phone calls they insisted it was the case. The service I got was atrocious and some staff were almost hilariously incompetent-- forwarding me to all kinds of unrelated special programs after I waited in the phone for 20 minutes. Most galling is their website features some award they got from JD Power for excellent service.